S&B vs Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteNBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running either an S&B or Vararam air grabber cold air intake. And wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on either. Need help choosing which one to go with. Also, I know the S&B is 50 State legal, but what about the Vararam? Concerned if its legal in CA. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have alot of buddies who run the vararam and love it, same with the S&B..i personally went SB just because I like the cleaner enclosed look myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
S&B here four years. Went enclosed CAI because it snows here--a lot some years and did not want to worry about ingestion.

If you are in Corruptifornia the CARB (CA Air Resources Board) is out of control and you may have trouble finding anything.

Go to the search engine of your choice, find a link to Vararam, or see if their site links to a dealer in CA and ask them.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the s&b on my Ram. Funny thing is I bought it used from a local guy that had it on his truck for a month and decided he wanted the vararam instead. About a week later he got ahold of me and told me he wished he never did because the s&b felt like it had more gains/sounded better and he said at the track he actually lost on his 0-60 times and also said his mpg' went down. I don't have cold hard facts to back it up but that is what the guy told me.

As for my thoughts on my expierience with my s&b. I enjoy it!. Really adds a nice throaty growl when you are in the throttle (especially if you already have exhaust) and when just normal cruising it's nice and quite. No annoying whistles like some people get with other brands either. As for gains.... in sure I picked up some but I wouldn't say it was a whole lot. Can slightly feel a gain at mid-high end when you hit it WOT. As for MPG gains..... ha....wouldn't know cause I can't keep my dang foot out of it lol.

+1 for S&B if you ask me, although the vararam is a sharp looking intake I must say!

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running either an S&B or Vararam air grabber cold air intake. And wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on either. Need help choosing which one to go with. Also, I know the S&B is 50 State legal, but what about the Vararam? Concerned if its legal in CA. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I believe the S&B and Volant are CARB certified, but I know the Vararam is not... If you get the Vararam, just keep your factory intake and swap it back in for the smog check.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the S&B and Volant are CARB certified, but I know the Vararam is not... If you get the Vararam, just keep your factory intake and swap it back in for the smog check.

Yup, this is what I do... only takes a few minutes to swap back and forth.... plus its my way of saying :flipthebird: to CARB and Commyfornia.... They also ***** about the catch can during smog too.... thank god I have a smog guy that doesn't even pop the hood on my vehicles