S&B vs Vararam intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i had snow build up on the front of mine, which was enough to make me remove it. it also collected a lot of sand during normal driving that i probably wouldnt want to drive on the beach with it. im not saying that any of this is going to cause a problem, just sharing my experiences.

fwiw, i didnt notice a difference in power between between the vararam and s&b. if i had to do it all over again, id go s&b.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both are great units, its just what works best for your conditions.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Waiting for my Vararam to come in - hoping it makes a noticable difference with the tune!

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both are great units, its just what works best for your conditions.

Snow I am not too worried about, Rain I am hearing is no issue and then sand is the only thing that may make me worry but with that said, wont the filter mostly filter out the fine particulate matter? Thats part of the purpose of a filter no?

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) I live in the Nv desert and drive three vehicles--

They all have air filters, including my RAM/VARARAM--

What's the problem ?

:crazy: JIMBO

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Snow I am not too worried about, Rain I am hearing is no issue and then sand is the only thing that may make me worry but with that said, wont the filter mostly filter out the fine particulate matter? Thats part of the purpose of a filter no?
Yes, but not sure why you'd be getting a ****load of sand unless your driving on the beach, which I wouldn't do in my Ram, we only have to deal with a ton of pollen for about a month in the springtime here in GA, otherwise its pretty clear here.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We do get a bit of pollen here in NY but I am not too worried about that, or should I be? I took the truck on the beach once last summer and may do it twice this upcoming summer.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Still showing off that good looking engine bay!!!!! :naughty:
Jay

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that feeling of "lost love" of a previous vehicle, wishing I'd never sold her, fondly remembering those hot days we spent together bathing, drying her and then detailing her to sound of great tunes emanating from her stereo, all the fights she would cause between my wife and I because I was spending too much time on HER... but then I'd get a new baby and it starts all over again. Sorry for your loss David, I feel your pang. It gets easier.

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
couple of question. gonna go with s&b I am thinking in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone saw a change in mpg? also any preferences on filter style,oil or dry? thanks same question for the grabber as well.

racerx20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same torn-between boat. Initially it was hands down Vararam but the S&B near OEM quality has me swaying. Main thing I'm not liking about the Vararam is having to remove the core support cover. Thought I'd just order another and trim it around the Vararam's scoop. :superhack: But that S&B is a nice piece...decisions, decisions....

Guinnesslaxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed my S&B know my '14 Bighorn. Went with the oiled filter. Love the look and quality of the product. Definitely pulling more air with the dual openings. You can feel the air being pulled in through the lower opening. It was easy to install. Didn't even have to remove the wheel liner.
Hoping to see a mpg increase, but way too soon to tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Removal of the RAD. shroud is simple--

I'm in the same torn-between boat. Initially it was hands down Vararam but the S&B near OEM quality has me swaying. Main thing I'm not liking about the Vararam is having to remove the core support cover. Thought I'd just order another and trim it around the Vararam's scoop. :superhack: But that S&B is a nice piece...decisions, decisions....

Just pry out the plastic keepers/discard--cut the VARARAM "WING" clearance-2-1/2" slot forward of RAD./ the width of the RAD.

Go to AUTO parts store--KRAGEN/O"REILLY/NAPA and gat a PKG of 1/4" NYLON screws--PT#4797208P, then the shroud can be removed/reinstalled in one minute--using PHILLIPS screw driver !

IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

SUNP0121_zpsknilgxqs.jpg

CAN/TBEATIT--

:crazy: JIMBO

Wisconi33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,

I am a new Ram owner and new to the forums. I am from WI (couldn't guess from the name), and am reading everyone's input. I do a lot of highway driving for work, and am looking at Cat's and have narrowed it down to the big 3: S&B, Vararam, and Volant. Those from the Northern States have you noticed any issues with/during winter weather? For 4th Gen Vararam owners did you need to modify the Air Grabber to make it fit your 2016 5.7L hemi? Reading the responses from other threads and forums there is generally consensus is Vararam. If you added a grill cover did it affect the Vararams performance?
Will a bug deflector that attaches underneath the hood affect fitment of the Air Grabber? Earlier versions had complaints on quality, have any of you noticed this with the 4th Gen version? I would like to hear from the S&B and Volant crowd as well, in particular those with the intake scoops have you noticed a difference?