S&B vs Vararam intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Welcome and no VARARAM issues/ mine fit's perfect/w tweaks/should not cover grill IN ANY WAY/upper bug deflector shouldn't have any effect/

Hello everyone,

I am a new Ram owner and new to the forums. I am from WI (couldn't guess from the name), and am reading everyone's input. I do a lot of highway driving for work, and am looking at Cat's and have narrowed it down to the big 3: S&B, Vararam, and Volant. Those from the Northern States have you noticed any issues with/during winter weather? For 4th Gen Vararam owners did you need to modify the Air Grabber to make it fit your 2016 5.7L hemi? Reading the responses from other threads and forums there is generally consensus is Vararam. If you added a grill cover did it affect the Vararams performance?
Will a bug deflector that attaches underneath the hood affect fitment of the Air Grabber? Earlier versions had complaints on quality, have any of you noticed this with the 4th Gen version? I would like to hear from the S&B and Volant crowd as well, in particular those with the intake scoops have you noticed a difference?

There isn't any quality problem, just use care and logic with installation and follow instructions for care/use--

Mine is a great CAI/w imperceptible power increase, but almost 10% mileage increase on level freeway-

Good luck

:crazy: JIMBO

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
couple of question. gonna go with s&b I am thinking in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone saw a change in mpg? also any preferences on filter style,oil or dry? thanks same question for the grabber as well.
I found my driving style was the biggest factor in better or worse MPG. With the S&B it sounds better (not poser loud, just a little growl) and feels better (butt dyno), so at first I tended to get into the skinny pedal a bit more. I've had it almost four years now and my mileage is better by a couple MPG--which IS ~10 %... :baby:

But I'm a middle aged button-down white collar guy and I love the reaction when I take my Ram in for annual inspection or smog check and the mechanic sees that S&B with the acrylic top and that huge air filter. "Whoa! Guys you gotta see this!"

You would probably get the same or a better reaction with a Vararam, but we get snow here and I did not want to take the chance of ingesting snow or slush with a Vararam. K&N or Airaid? Not even a ho-hum.

Last edited:

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 for S&B

Aikido187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I was thinking of the going with the Mopar CAI but based on what I'm reading, I'm thinking that I am going to get more performance out of the Vararam?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
The vararam rocks!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well I was thinking of the going with the Mopar CAI but based on what I'm reading, I'm thinking that I am going to get more performance out of the Vararam?
Mopar now makes an S&B equivalent CAI, but no window on top.