Serv 4wd abs trac control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I've been dealing with the same problem for a few months now. My abs light come on with the traction control and service 4wd light all at the same time. I've read people with similar problem and have tried just about all of them, might have missed a sensor but I figured I would put some feelers out there and see if anyone else has had better luck.

So far I have changed both abs speed sensors in the rear, changed the speed sensor on the transmission, put new tires on the truck, and installed a new battery. Also put 2 new o2 sensors in since it seemed to begin after I pulled my y pipe and forgot to disconnect my battery.

It looks like you can test sensors with a ohm reader to check resistance so I think I'll do that on the last few sensors but if anybody has any input or better luck I'd love to know.

Thanks guys

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well obviously the shotgun approach of just throwing parts at it isn't working, usually doesn't.

First thing to do is to get the codes retrieved, there's more than just wheel speed sensors that can turn on those lights. Once you get the codes retrieved then we can narrow it down.

As well a faulty o2 sensor won't cause any of those lights to come on.

OP
OP
D

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both my trinity and reader come up with no codes

OP
OP
D

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And as far as "shotgun approach of throwing parts in". I read up on general problems and addressed them accordingly. Now you have the list of things I did to my vehicle and don't need to hear people telling me to do them again.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would let the dealer try and get the codes. my dealer did this for me once with a handheld computer at no charge. knocking the wheels out of alignment on my wrangler also set these codes as would an off center steering wheel.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wouldn't even want to venture a guess. Bring it to a reputable dealer or shop for a diagnosis. for what you spent in parts so far, they probably could have diagnosed it for you.
You will only make a proper diagnosis harder by putting more parts in.

OP
OP
D

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All mopar sensors that I put in so far, about 100 bucks, 65 hrs a week has made it hard to make it to the dealer and the only one I'll go to is a bit of a ride. Looks like I'll make time for it now, thanks for the input.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Both my trinity and reader come up with no codes

You'll need an actual scan tool that can read more than just P codes. Most tuners and cheap scan tools can't retrieve ABS,AIRBAG, or communication codes. It doesn't have to be a dealer, any shop that has a fully equipped scan tool. Some parts stores may be able to as well.

I didn't mean to be a **** but I work on Chrysler vehicles for living and when I see people just guess at problems using google it bugs me a bit, cause you're just wasting money.

It's one thing to try and fix it yourself when you have a direction to go in based off a code, but the shotgun approach is very expensive.

You might have to go to a shop that can retrieve the codes. If those lights come on there will be codes I guarantee it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll need an actual scan tool that can read more than just P codes. Most tuners and cheap scan tools can't retrieve ABS,AIRBAG, or communication codes. It doesn't have to be a dealer, any shop that has a fully equipped scan tool. Some parts stores may be able to as well.

I didn't mean to be a **** but I work on Chrysler vehicles for living and when I see people just guess at problems using google it bugs me a bit, cause you're just wasting money.

It's one thing to try and fix it yourself when you have a direction to go in based off a code, but the shotgun approach is very expensive.

You might have to go to a shop that can retrieve the codes. If those lights come on there will be codes I guarantee it.

I understand completely, it's just hard when you get scrutinized for asking questions without searching the forums sometimes, so I swapped the basics then went looking for answers. I'll get to somebody who can read the codes here soon, but go figure after I make my post and hop in my truck lights are gone. Not sure if it was one of the sensors I changed or not but if they come back on I'll be going somewhere that can read them, and I'll be sure to post my outcome for anyone else with similar issues.

Thanks for picking up on that tech, also meant no offense. Like being able to come here and exchange information.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I totally understand trying to figure stuff out yourself and saving a few bucks. I do the same thing when it comes to fixing things around the house, washing machine, water heater, dish washer, furnace etc.
For us guys that go to school and try to understand how these vehicles work, and work on them everyday, it can get kinda irritating sometimes when people (even a lot of so called techs) think it's as easy as pulling a code and replacing a part, without understanding how the systems work and the theory behind.
That said, if you can get a code I will try and help if I can.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I understand completely, it's just hard when you get scrutinized for asking questions without searching the forums sometimes, so I swapped the basics then went looking for answers. I'll get to somebody who can read the codes here soon, but go figure after I make my post and hop in my truck lights are gone. Not sure if it was one of the sensors I changed or not but if they come back on I'll be going somewhere that can read them, and I'll be sure to post my outcome for anyone else with similar issues.

Thanks for picking up on that tech, also meant no offense. Like being able to come here and exchange information.

Even if the lights have gone out the codes will still be there as a stored code.

Have the lights ever come on while turning the steering wheel? One thing I've seen a few times is a failed SAS(steering angle sensor). A faulty SAS will cause issues with the ABS/ESP/4wd.

Get the codes read if possible though, let us know what you get and I'll be more than happy to assist as best I can.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had this exact issue.

1. Has your alert chime sounded randomly with No lights on the dash or followed by the Serv 4wd?

2. Does the Neutral light on your 4x4 shift panel light up even if not in Neutral?

3. Did it seem to do this in COLD or wet weather?

If so, then more than likely, it is the shift motor/encoder giving you fits. the Encoder tells the truck what position the transfer case is in. Mine did all of the above including showing a 4low trac control off etc... I replaced this motor/encoder and the issues went away.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A faulty transfer case shift motor won't cause the ABS/ESP lights to come on. Likely not his issue unless he has more than one failed component.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A faulty transfer case shift motor won't cause the ABS/ESP lights to come on. Likely not his issue unless he has more than one failed component.

Mine did. when in 4low, ESP is turned off. If the encoder is on the fritz, it will light up all of these lights. At least on my 2009 it did. The encoder was sending odd signals to the PCM causing it to think the truck was in 4low thus turning off these systems. However, it was not getting the correct signals from the front diff so it will cause the system to read error and thus make his SVC 4wd light to come on.

at least that is my theory. I replaced my entire assembly and it cured it. I have the NVG transfer case and he may have the BW, but I do believe the ring itself can be replaced without the motor.

My truck would also start dinging with no lights on the dash and sometimes the Neutral button would light up. sometimes I could shift it into 4 auto and it would stop all the nonsense, otherwise, I just had to wait it out for it to go away and then I could use 4wd systems. after replacing the encoder, it has been pretty good.

Last edited:

SeminoleFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that issue and found a brake line that had been rubbing against the rim until it wore through and caused the sensor to have issues. It could be something as simple as that. Climb underneath and check all your brake lines for wear.

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bumping an old thread hoping OP found resolution. I am having the same 3 lights, and took it by an independent shop yesterday who threw a scanner on it and the ABS fault was "right rear wheel speed sensor data erratic". Or something along those lines. The guy didn't charge me but also did not provide a printout due to the free scan. I removed the right rear sensor and cleaned the end up with brake cleaner as it looked a bit rusty, and reinstalled but the light is still there. If the sensor is only $20 I'll buy a new one, but was hoping someone had seen a similar fault.

Bfaulkner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm sorry if this is misplaced... but having very similar issues here. chime goes off, serv.4WD, ABS as well as the ESP all light up. sometimes I feel and hear a slight grinding and it didn't go into any gear. I pulled into a parking lot, turned the truck off then back on and it was like it rebooted itself and I was able to get home. any ideas?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dev, call the dealer's service center of your choice, and tell them you work too many hours to get it to them. Request that they come and get it. That's what I do when I need an oil change.

Good luck. It's probably something simple (for a Pro).
I quit working on my own stuff eons ago. Like me, you work too much to wrench on vehicles also.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I'm sorry if this is misplaced... but having very similar issues here. chime goes off, serv.4WD, ABS as well as the ESP all light up. sometimes I feel and hear a slight grinding and it didn't go into any gear. I pulled into a parking lot, turned the truck off then back on and it was like it rebooted itself and I was able to get home. any ideas?

i got the lights this past winter. was a wheel bearing. there is a sensor in it that disables 4wd over 10mph or so. same as abs and traction control. replaced WB and all is well now. i did NOT have.any issues with transmission. you should get it looked at.