Shorty header question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is not to discuss which is better or makes more power.
I just installed bbk shorties #40140 and everything went well. It was time consuming but quality and fit were good.
Now the issue I have is the front right side has a tick now. Almost as if it's leaking but with my head in the fender well it almost sounds like it's the engine itself. Sounds more under the valve cover than the exhaust. The bolts are tight and I made sure everything was clean before install.
Any other header guys or shorty guys have an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
take a rubber hose to your ear and search around and try to find the leak. did you use oem gaskets?

tuned by jay greene

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oddly enough, when I had my ARH long tubes installed a few weeks I noticed a sound like that, it sounded just like a leak, but there was no leaks to be found what so ever, so it may just be the way headers sound on these engines...

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
take a rubber hose to your ear and search around and try to find the leak. did you use oem gaskets?

tuned by jay greene

No I used the gaskets that came with. First mistake! I found the problem. I have a leak right by the dipstick bolt. It's visible now.
Should I use OEM like the ones that came on the truck or ramtek?

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
interested to see if new gaskets fixes your issue...I am about to install BBK's on mine as well.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No I used the gaskets that came with. First mistake! I found the problem. I have a leak right by the dipstick bolt. It's visible now.
Should I use OEM like the ones that came on the truck or ramtek?

use the oem gaskets

tuned by jay greene

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OEM gasket is just a rebranded felpros its nothing special.

Get a remflex gasket.

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
332ac846361a4c773ab5e4c84cd47736.jpg

c3836a747908ecb5e0cc7a0216339f74.jpg

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
interested to see if new gaskets fixes your issue...I am about to install BBK's on mine as well.

Yes it is fixed. Use the oem ones from the start. Just a heads up, remove the starter, use a ratchet wrench. It's time consuming but I'm glad I did it.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those look great. Give us a heads up on how it feels instead of the OEM manifolds. I've been debating between JBA and BBK shorties but I'm leaning towards the BBKs since they are cheaper, come in the same coatings as the JBAs and quality seems to be the same (compared to nearly a decade ago).

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those look great. Give us a heads up on how it feels instead of the OEM manifolds. I've been debating between JBA and BBK shorties but I'm leaning towards the BBKs since they are cheaper, come in the same coatings as the JBAs and quality seems to be the same (compared to nearly a decade ago).

Man I can't post a video but I can tell a difference between these and the manifolds. Granted I'm at full bolt ons with hemifever tunes. The truck is quiet when low speed idling around. Sounds good and has a nice tone at wot. Not loud or obnoxious. Definitely pulls harder.

For quality I was pleased with them. Coated good. Welds are good. Mounting surface was very clean and smooth. I got mine used from a member here (jag1986). Shout out to him for quick and friendly service.

I wasn't going to go headers just yet but a great deal came up and I couldn't say no.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up.

Bluto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the record, I had broken manifold bolts and opted for BBK shorties to remedy the issue.
Great quality ceramic coating, no issues. I also used arp locking header bolts.
And OEM gaskets.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys mean you purchased new OEM gaskets right, you didn't reuse your original gaskets.... I hope anyway.

Thinking of doing this because of broken bolts... just curious what bolts to go with ... some say arp, some say stage 8... no idea!

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
Little over a year into having the BBK shorties installed with oem gaskets and now a have a driver side exhaust leak. Man I’m sick of this truck.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Keep us posted, did you verify the flange was true prior to installing? What hardware was used?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Little over a year into having the BBK shorties installed with oem gaskets and now a have a driver side exhaust leak. Man I’m sick of this truck.

Try a set of the Remflex 6022 gaskets,better then the OEM gaskets in my opinion.A lot of guys are switching to these gaskets with stock manifolds and headers.I've had them on my LT JBA's for over 4 years now,have never re-torqued them,and they've never leaked.

http://catalog.remflex.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=6022

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys, I have some issues with my BBK shorties:

1) I can't put 2 of the driver side bolts. The holes are not totally aligned and the bolts are crooked so I didn't screw them because I don't want to ruin my heads.
2) I have a leak in the both side between the headers and the pipe
3) I didn't manage to put the dipstick back...I'm too afraid of breaking it...

Could you help me please.