Shorty vs long tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the main differences other than the obvious? As dar as o2 sensors go i dont want to throw codes and such. Not wanting a race truck but would like a little more flow, sound and of course a little more performance. I cant see spending 1200 or so on arh longtubes and then another 400 on a tuner right now to not have codes thrown. Also will the shorties throw codes to your o2 sensors?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Shorties wont throw codes, but they only give you about 10-12hp. Shorties will have very little effect on sound either.

Longtubes will potentially throw codes without tuning, but will get you 25-30hp/tq. Longtubes will make your exhaust tone deeper and smoother. They wont be too much louder though unless you go without cats.

If you don't have the tuner yet, then that needs to be the next upgrade you do if you are looking for performance. Shorties aren't going to affect the sound of your truck much, and really aren't worth the money when it comes to performance either. I would do the tuner first, and then save up for the longtubes.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 ^^
I had shorties without a tuner and then ended up buying a tuner after everything else so now it makes more sense to have just gone with long tubes in the first place and a tuner. Silly. Still may get long tubes in the future.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What about long tubes & muffler delete?Would it be obnoxiously loud or just right?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What about long tubes & muffler delete?Would it be obnoxiously loud or just right?

Muffler delete with long tubes is too loud for my taste, but it's not terrible as long as you keep cats. Long tubes without cats and a muffler delete is beyond obnoxiously loud.