Should i Sea Foam my 4.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lately my truck feels congested, i know its a 4.7 and its not a power house by any means. Just feels sluggish, and MPG is in the ******* right now. Could just be winter fuel. But the truck has 72k miles on it. Upper set of spark plugs were done at 60k. put a K&N Drop in at 55, and havent cleaned, but i pull it out and it still looks decent maybe cleaning it may help.

Im wondering if i should sea foam it, or is sea foam more of a mental thing and it wont really help at all? Or should i fill her up with some E85. I have been told that E85 Cleans the injectors, valves and cylinders. What do yall think?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recommend you watch some YouTube videos on Seafoam and the smoke that is produced by Seafoam in the intake

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I would n't Sea Foam anything but the gas in your boat for winter storage, that's what it's made for.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I personally would run 2 bottles of Red Line SI-1 with 3/4 of a tank.
Pour both bottles in , then fill up to 3/4 tank.

Do not do any highway driving. Drive in town (stop & go). Then let the auto set for 10-12 hours to let the PEA soften up the carbon (if any).
Do this many times.
Then after the tank is low--Take her out for an Italian Tune Up!

Do this a couple of times. If any carbon is present it will take some time break up. 1 cycle will not remove all of it. ALL Depending on the amount of carbon if any to begin with.

Just my opinion NOT advice or a recommendation!

Another possible products
Amsoil PI
Gumout HM or Complete fuel system cleaner
Techron seems to keep the chamber clean, but it just seems to take longer to clean up existing carbon!

You want a product with the largest amount of PEA! This product has proven to be the most effective dissolving (softening) carbon deposits!

The only downfall to ethanol is pour gas mileage. It does burn very clean & will keep the combustion chamber clean. I personally don't know how good it actually cleans.

Last edited:

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Italian tune up"

shade tree mechanic wording for pouring a stream of water into the intake while revving the engine.

It CAN work to clean up the combustion chamber and remove carbon deposits etc.

It CAN also cause catastrophic failure to the engine.

To OP ?

You can try seafoam, it wont hurt if done properly.

the 4.7 is a gas hog....hows the EGR valve?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used seafoam without any negatives results.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Italian tune up"

shade tree mechanic wording for pouring a stream of water into the intake while revving the engine.

It CAN work to clean up the combustion chamber and remove carbon deposits etc.

It CAN also cause catastrophic failure to the engine.

To OP ?

You can try seafoam, it wont hurt if done properly.

the 4.7 is a gas hog....hows the EGR valve?
Not sure how do I tell? Just a slug lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recommend you watch some YouTube videos on Seafoam and the smoke that is produced by Seafoam in the intake

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would n't Sea Foam anything but the gas in your boat for winter storage, that's what it's made for.

Yep, expect smoke.

Me personally, I'd only use it for gas applications. I've used it in my ram as well as my atvs.....no negative effects.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, expect smoke.

Me personally, I'd only use it for gas applications. I've used it in my ram as well as my atvs.....no negative effects.
I've done it before on my rams just have a weird feeling about doing it, sometimes I feel like it's just a mind trick and it really doesn't nothing... that's why I'm coming to you guys... What do you think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It does a lot, have you seen chris fix's video? What it doesn't do it clean the injectors, why Syn recommends the PEA cleaners. How did it run right after the plug change? Do you always use the same gas station, which one if so?

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Runs fine just seems sluggish on acceleration, haha I have used seafoam before but I always worried it will break something... also I just put plugs in 10k ago, and I've heard this gums up spark plugs, I usually use Safeway gas, and a techron every 5-7k, (when I'm bored and go to autozone)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does Safeway advertise top tier? here. Might be your problem right there, I'd go to shell for a while. Do you use 89 at least?

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope, I bet the use bottom of the barrel gas, but I had a dollar off per gallon filled 23 gallons for 37$ in California hahaha...
If I ran few tanks of good gas+ few tanks of cleaner should restore some goodness? According to fill cap 4.7 is an 87 rrq

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Run it low, go get a bottle of Redline s1, and go to shell and get either 89 or 91. Worst case, that will clean your stuff out a bit. I'm not sure about that engine, is it tuned for 87? I know the Hemi is tuned for 89. If it is tuned for 87, I would use 89 not 91. That's just what I'd try.

Reactions: PCT

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I Seafoam before every oil change. Put half a can in the engine for 15-20 miles worth of driving, put the other half in the gas tank...never had an issue. I know it cleans well, did wonders for an old '87 Civic that I used it in...man you would not believe all the smoke coming out of that thing haha.