Shudder/Vibration when WOT downshifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know I've heard somebody mention this but just happened to me a little while ago on the highway. I floored it at 60mph and went from 5th to 3rd and it wasn't happy. Kinda seemed like the clutches were slipping a little or something. I've got a 2010 2wd 1500 5.7 with HemiFever tune, Sonax line pressure and 4.10 gears.

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, don't be downshifting the 5 speed without manually downshifting. That's how you kill the 5/6 speed trannys
Make sure the u joints are tight.
How many miles on the truck? Ever change the fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think there is a PCM software update for that. Mine has the same issue.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Dont ever go WOT from a roll like that without manually downshifting into 3rd gear first. WOT downshifts like that are the number 1 factor in the failed transmissions in these trucks going all the way back to when they first came out in 2003.

OP
OP
B

brusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
132K on it. I've only had it a few thousand miles so not sure what the maintenance was. I knew I heard not to WOT from 5-4 but didn't know 3rd was an issue also. Is this a 4th gen issue? I never had any problems in my 07. Is this a programming issue or hardware issue? If there's hardware upgrade I'll consider that.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
4th gear is the weak link. Any downshift out of overdrive uses 4th gear, and over time, the clutches will fail. Same thing applies even to the built transmissions.

The 2 best things you can do to prolong the life of the transmission is not doing any WOT hits from a roll without manually downshifting it first, and dont go into 4th gear at WOT.

Yes there are trucks that have been OK doing this, but there are also hundreds of transmissions that have failed specifically because of this. It has happened with stock tuning, canned tuning, custom tuning, etc...

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You shouldn't downshift at wide open throttle. But there is also a tsb for a software update that is supposed to fix a shudder that occurs after a wot event.

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I have the tow button, should I just drive in tow mode?