Sinlge exhaust Mod (ish?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asilva81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good afternoon all! First post, and first time truck owner here! Recently purchased a 2017 Ram Lone star crew cab.
First small mod in line (as I want to press into paying for the Ram primarily.) I have researched ad nausea the exhaust types that are free flowing, good rumble, no drone. I am asking for your experienced advice to try and filter all the information. I would like to 'free flow' the Ram without making it too loud and have no drone. Ive seen pics of the restrictive stock exhaust.
What should be better:
1) New ypipe (Magnaflow maybe) with free flow muffler (Magnaflow 22" or Borla) and stock pipes and resonators?
2) Two pipes from the cats (no ypipe) to a resonated muffler (Maganaflow tru X) or (dual in dual out Borla/FM50HD) to the stock tail pipes with resonators?
3) x pipe to a dual in dual out muffler to stock tailpipes with resonators.
4) xpipe with two mufflers to stock pipes?

I am sure this is always asked here. I would like a straight response that I can follow and go from there. Thank you all so much in advance for your responses! This truck is awesome. Coming from an Infiniti g35, I am really liking this Ram!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would think the easiest thing would be to change to a free flow muffler, either single in/dual out or single/single. Mufflex makes a direct bolt in replacement built around a Magnaflow open flow muffler in 14, 18, or 24." (RF Preferred Vendor Moe's Performance--link--->)

If you go single-in/dual out you do not need to replace the factory Y pipe (even though it could be a better design it wont matter for near stock engine output) and you wont need to add the traditional H or X pipe found in true-dual installs, because the muffler provides the pressure equalization. You will have to plumb and hang the second output pipe to mirror what you have from the factory.

OP
OP
A

asilva81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you so much. Very simple yet effective advice that puts me on the right path. Thank you Casper. Just got limo tint. Next is the ceramic tint for front. Very hot in Texas.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Magnaflow 14" and love it. No drone. Quite while crusing but under acceleration it's nice and loud.