Slow off the line....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an 08 ram 5.7 with the 3:55s 2 wheel drive. My brother has a 06 5.7 4x4. I had just a magnaflow muffler, not even cat backs. I would smoke him from the line, probably the weight difference. Both were quad cabs. I bought my 13 1500 crew cab 2 wheel drive 5.7 3:92 gears and now he smokes me at the line. Ive tried it all, esp off tow/haul off, reving up, shifting myself. I dont get it. I cant get my tires to spin, hell it wont even power brake. My point is, my 08 with 3:55s was so much faster off the line, and the gas milage averaged about the same. I am super disappointed in this new trucks performance.

I have put about 20k miles on it. It has the 3:92 gears verified by the build sheet. I hear people talking about there trucks spinning too much at launch, whats wrong with my truck?

So the 3:92s are designed to get me bettery fuel economy, and better for towing right? if the number is higher (ie 3:92) vs a lower number (3:55), which one should get a better launch? I dont have the 8 speed by the way.
They must have built mine on friday....
:banghead:
Whats everyone elses experience with the newer models??

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A numerically higher ratio is supposed to be better off the line and be better for towing: AKA Trucky things.

Now, your 4th gen is a bit heavier than your brother's 3rd gen, for one. Secondly, I've heard some muttering about the 12s and 13s being slow off the line compared to other trucks. Not all are like this, but some are.

I have a theory that Dodge may have put some extra torque management in the 12s and 13s for whatever reason Dodge put it in there for.

Also, the PCMs on these trucks are self-learning to a degree, so if you drive like a grandma, the truck is going to anticipate you driving like a grandma and act like such. If you pull the battery cables, reset the PCM, then hook everything back up and proceed to beat the living hell out of the truck, this can offset that a bit.

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
I think there is a gas pedal recalibration that can be done, too. Can't remember the sequence off the top of my head though.

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
I'm in the same boat, slow off the line even with traction control off.

The traction control will never completely shut off except with a tuner. For those reasons I swapped the muffler, and have a Vararam, and tuner on it's way. This should really wake up the truck. At least I hope it does. I drive like a grandma to save gas, but sometimes I just want to punch it! Not to mention when I do my lift and 35's the mods should help out with the wider heavier tires

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Torque management grrrrr....I hate those words. I will try the battery trick and see what that does. So the guys that are apinning probably have the 4:10s then I assume.

Crow, I would love to know if that is possible....

Boomer, please let me know how the tuner does

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yup the nannies are in the house. All that power held back by a computer.

$miley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 13 and it's a dog off the line. 3.55 gears and torque management I'm sure the reasons for that. I'm planning on changing the gears to 3.92 and trying a higher stall converter. I really don't want to mess with tuning yet. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What you are experiencing is normal in these trucks. A tuner and tq converter are your best friends. Those 2 mods are going to open up all the potential that your motor has.

Hemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2012 sport 4x4 with a tuner, airraid CAI, and just a muffler swap and I can chirp the tires from a stop with traction control still on lol or just lay rubber with it off just by hitting the button, and that's with 22x9.5 with 22/45/305 which is like 12 inches wide lol but I have an open diff so it's usually a one wheeler peeler lmao...open diff problems..and that's the 3.92s. If I have a full tank of gas and a cab full of people (CrewCab) it doesn't always break em loose but If it's just me or me and a buddy with no fuel lol it is a ***** to get it to gt traction sometimes when given' er from a stop. I run the 91 octane tun for the Diablosport Intune tuner and I live just about at sea level and around 10 degrees Celsius during the day if it matters..

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the calibration has been done on the 4.7 engine throttle so should work with the Hemi.

I think the sequence is, turn the ignition switch to the on position but don't start the truck. wait for everything to go through its tests. Then slowly and consistently push the throttle to the floor. After you reach the end of the movement slowly let the the throttle back up the same way. After completing that, turn off the key then start the truck up and take it for a test to see if it made any improvement.

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you are experiencing is normal in these trucks. A tuner and tq converter are your best friends. Those 2 mods are going to open up all the potential that your motor has.

I reallu want to do this, but I use my truck for work and put at least 40-50k miles per year, so I dont want to lose my warranty just yet. I know the deal about the warranty law, but I honestly wouldnt have the time to deal with that and couldnt be without my truck if there was an issue. But damn, I may have to do it any way lol, I can aways rent a truck....

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its stability control pulling power. Either get a tuner to turn it off or pull the ABS fuse. I got a Hemifever tune and can smoke two wheels to 60 mph.