Slow to warm up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

I've got a 2015 Black Express RC with around 23K on it. I hit a deer 3 weekends ago, and just got the truck out of the body shop. As far as I know, there was no damage to any of the mechanical systems (radiator, etc), just the grill/bumper needed replacing. Now that I have the truck back, it seems to take a long time to warm up now, and I don't remember that being an issue last winter?

They said they had to replace the "flappers" in the grill...do those open and shut only for aerodynamics, or do they impact the cooling system as well (staying shut until warmup)?

Just looking for some input before I decide where to take the truck to get looked at.

Thanks!

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't think the express had grill shutters. I'm pretty sure my 15 big horn doesn't have them. Sport and up I think is what gets them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How long to get to 210? Time it off your evic.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the Express has grill shutters if it's an 8 speed. Mine is a 14 Express and it has them. The engine thermostat should stay closed to warm up your truck and only open when it reaches operating temp. I wouldn't think the grill shutters would have an effect on how fast your truck warms up in the morning. Their main purpose is to help with aerodynamics.

OP
OP
J

johnnyshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think the express had grill shutters. I'm pretty sure my 15 big horn doesn't have them. Sport and up I think is what gets them.

Ahhh, shutters...that's the word I was looking for. :doh2:

Yeah, I dunno...the body shop said the originals were damaged, and needed to be replaced. I'll take a look tonight and see what's really in there.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 Big Horn has them too....

OP
OP
J

johnnyshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Good call...I'll check that tonight on my way home from work. I was at least 15 minutes into my commute this morning before the gauge hit the first "1/4 full" tick mark, but I wasn't watching the temps on the digital readout.

OP
OP
J

johnnyshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the Express has grill shutters if it's an 8 speed. Mine is a 14 Express and it has them. The engine thermostat should stay closed to warm up your truck and only open when it reaches operating temp. I wouldn't think the grill shutters would have an effect on how fast your truck warms up in the morning. Their main purpose is to help with aerodynamics.

Sorta what I was thinking too...maybe the thermostat needs replacing already?

I didn't want to go storming back into the body shop if it wasn't something they caused without checking with the experts first! :)

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 14 sport hemi with shutters still takes a fair bit of time for the heat gauge to reach temp, which is short of the center mark but it's putting out heat much quicker than that.

When I left the house the AM it was 27 deg F outside, so I left the heater blower off and used the seat and wheel heaters. It was probably 5-7 miles down the road (40 MPH) before I started getting decent heat. I don't think the temp gauge was to the first mark yet. Just for reference.

OP
OP
J

johnnyshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Never got to 210. Finally hit a high of 203 after 23 minutes of driving. At 15 minutes, it was around 160 degrees coolant temp.

FYI, outside temp is 7 degrees.

Bad thermostat?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, you have 7 degree 60mph wind hitting your radiator, I would baby it while it's cold. Mine takes a while to warm up nothing like that, but I live in CA and I don't even know what 7 degree weather feels like. I would say I come to temp in about 10 minutes, it is ok it isn't hitting 210, 203 is acceptable. Some people think once in a while it is good to get it to 212, the temp water boils to get any moisture out of the oil, but it is a minor thing IMO. You may want to get a used oil analysis at some point for many reasons, that being one they check moisture in oil. I use Blackstone labs myself. Next time I'm on a long trip I will let you know the temps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnnyshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Technically the first 15 minutes of driving was on stop and go side streets just trying to get to the highway, but I'll just roll with it for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

My Express has ACD, and yes that would contribute to no heat, or slow heat.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The grill shudders also help warm the truck up as well as aerodynamics. When you first start your truck they should cycle to closed until you reach the proper temps.
Have someone cold start your truck while you watch the shutters and make sure the shutters cycle to closed.
When I still had mine in my truck would heat up way faster then my 09 that didn't have them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk