Smoking issue in the new RAM's.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munkindad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 ST
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
So, I've seen several threads where people report white smoke coming from newer RAM trucks with low miles. So far, no one has seemed to have an answer and neither do the dealerships. I noticed a common occurrence with mine that I'm not sure whether or not anyone else has noticed. If I'm on ECO for an extended time (around 40 mph or so) and I coast down to about 20 or 15, THEN accelerate, I'll kick the large white "puff" out of the back. Maybe a mechanic can tell me or not, but I think the white puff is condensation related to the ECO. I'm guessing that the two cylinders that shut down do NOT stop moving, but they're probably still moving air. Is it possible that when you accelerate and those cylinders kick back in, could it be blowing extra condensation out of the engine/exhaust? It was just a random thought. New to the forum, so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it to the right one! My coolant levels don't change and oil seems to be steady. Thoughts??

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Mine did it's HUFF n PUFF only on a cold start...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The only kind of white smoke that could be an issue is thick smoke that lingers, that could be coolant. And of course any blue smoke is oil. Puffs of white smoke that disappear are harmless water vapor.

Do a used oil analysis, it measures oil in water, will tell you if there is an issue. I use blackstone labs, you need to fill the sample bottle full if you want the moisture test, free with standard oil sample. They send you a kit for free.

Last edited: