Smoking on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with about 9.5k miles on it. I just changed my trucks oil this past weekend. (Mileage was around 9k- this was the trucks 2nd oil change). The dealership had performed the 1st oil change around 5k miles.

I put in Penzoil Platinum Full synthetic 5W20. Mobil 1 oil filter. 7 quarts. I have noticed that every time (or most times) when I start the truck (cold usually IIRC) the truck smokes for a few seconds, then clears up.

This is the only time it smokes (to my knowledge). The motor seems to like the penzoil, as it definitely feels a bit more peppy than it did. I am not sure what kind of oil the dealership put in it (I doubt it was full synthetic)

Would this be due to the motor still being fairly new? Any ideas? Should I not be concerned at all?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Cold starts are common and itsnot usally smoke it's more like condinsation/steam like when when the temperature outside falls very quick and you see a steam above the lake or a pond. Very typical. If it's truly smoke and you get a oily smell i would be worried.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold starts are common and itsnot usally smoke it's more like condinsation/steam like when when the temperature outside falls very quick and you see a steam above the lake or a pond. Very typical. If it's truly smoke and you get a oily smell i would be worried.

I had a weird problem on my last truck 14' CC. It smoked a ton on a few occasions and acted like it was going to die. (actually posted about it on one of these engine blowing smoke/burning oil threads)

I know people have had smoking issues on new trucks (under 3-5k miles) but I am at 10k now, so I figured the motor would be broken in by this point.

Granted I never really smell the smoke because I remote start as I am walking up but I can clearly see it has blueish tint to it. It definitely does not seem like condensation (and this is not just in the morning. This is mid day in Houston, Texas - 95+ degrees).

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Strange mine does do the same thing from time to time I'm north Texas and it's done it some over the summer but doesn't do it daily. But mines not blue it just the normal cold morning look to it. But I also have 155k miles so if it burns some oil it's understandable. 10K shouldn't burn anything in my mind, although I have herd of guys burning nearly a quart between changes and Chrysler telling them it's within spec for the hemi witch is crazy to me. If you can constantly repeat it maybe drop it off one night and go out there with a tech and service adviser first thing in the morning and start it for them and let them look at it. Its under warranty.