So my truck goes into the shop tomorrow... could be there for awhile.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So this past Friday I brought my 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi into my local Ram Dealer (Reedman Toll Auto World) for my 50k maintenance. I got all 16 spark plugs changed and got my oil changed aswell. After my employee discount (I work for the parent company, Toll Brothers) and the Ram service manager also gave me another discount, all it cost me was $244. The plugs were $400 by themselves. I also had some problems diagnosed.

But when I brought it in for that maintenance, i also asked them to look into 2 problems I've been having:

1. Every time my truck is cold, and I start it, it hesitates to start for a half second and then it has a major exhaust leak from near the motor. I can also hear a ticking/tapping noise aswell. After about 30-45 seconds the exhaust leak goes away, as does the tapping. I told them I thought it was an exhaust manifold bolt and that the leak goes away once it warms up because the gasket heats up and expands, and they agreed. Turns out, i have 3 broken bolts on my exhaust manifold. The service manager told me they won't know until they start working on it, but there is a chance I might need a new head, if they can't get the broken bolts out. Good news is, it's still under the factory Chrysler Powertrain Warranty. So whatever ends up needing to be done, it will only cost me the $100 deductible.

2. I also had some noises coming from the driverside wheel area. Possibly a tie rod or ball joint. Turns out it is a bad tie rod and wheel hub. Both covered under my Warranty.

So my truck could be in the shop for a day or two, or it could end up being there for a couple weeks if they need to replace the head.

Some good news, the service manager told me a supervisor will be overseeing the repairs and whatever needs to be done. That makes me feel alot better about my motor being ripped apart by some random mechanic.

So, i guess this could be considered more good news... I drop the truck off at 9am tomorrow and I will be getting a 2017 Charger rental car, free of charge!!! Can't wait to drive it. I love the new chargers and almost bought one instead of my Ram.

Anyways, I'm nervous about the exhaust manifold bolts and the dealer possibly having to rip my motor apart. Doesn't make me feel very good.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
nice to have that discount. i haven't heard of too many heads being replaced because of broken manifold bolts. looking for a review of the charger.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
nice to have that discount. i haven't heard of too many heads being replaced because of broken manifold bolts. looking for a review of the charger.

Yea, the service manager said that's worse case scenario if they can't drill or tap out the broken bolts. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Oh believe me, i will have plenty of pics and maybe even a few videos of the charger [emoji41][emoji613][emoji48] [emoji469][emoji593][emoji573][emoji601][emoji25]

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
hopefully its not a V6 charger. I have a 392 charger and its a beast.
It's a rental car.... my guess is its a v6 lol

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If they gave out 392s for loaners i think people would be busting their Rams on purpose lol. Sounds like the dealer is taking care of you. If it is a 392 make sure to let us know and remember she is an angry monster. :roflsquared:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If they gave out 392s for loaners i think people would be busting their Rams on purpose lol. Sounds like the dealer is taking care of you. If it is a 392 make sure to let us know and remember she is an angry monster. :roflsquared:
Or wrapping their rentals around trees....

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well... on Friday Ram Service told me they had brand new 2017 Chargers in their rental fleet. Today I drop my truck off and get a shuttle ride to rental department.

Of course when I get there, all of the Chargers are rented out. The lady (who was extremely attractive) said the Chargers always go first. Everyone requests them.

My choices were the following:
- 2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
- 2017 Dodge Dart (3 to chose from... no thanks)
- 2016 Chrysler 200 Premium AWD V6

I chose the Chrysler 200 because I didn't want a Ram as a rental, i wanted something a little different. And f' the dart, it's a big ol' p.o.s. lol.

Besides, when I was test driving Rams the day I bought mine the salesman drove us around in a used 200 and i really likes the interior and it was super comfy.

So no rwd burnouts or badass chargers for me... atleast not just yet.

Anyways, i only have 5 free days of rental coverage. Once the 5 days are up, I'm required to pay for the rest of the time I need a rental car. So when the 5th day hits and i dont have my truck back, i will be returning to the Rental Dept. and try to get a Charger if they have any in stock.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like your hooked up and if lucky hugged up, ask the girl out?

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like your hooked up and if lucky hugged up, ask the girl out?
Hahaha... maybe I will when I return the Rental car. I've seen her around Ram Service a few times but today was the first time I got to speak to her.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah well maybe she has been noticing you as well, and maybe she thinks finally I got a chance to talk with that guy. Tel her you got Phillies tickets and your friend got busy. Spit some game Buck.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah well maybe she has been noticing you as well, and maybe she thinks finally I got a chance to talk with that guy. Tel her you got Phillies tickets and your friend got busy. Spit some game Buck.
Damn that Phillies ticket line is pure gold... can't believe I never thought of that one before. Awesome. Thanks for that awesome pick up line lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963