Sorry, but it's another anti-spin question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potentialramowner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Went and drove my first hemi ram last night. A basic crew Express model. Drove really nice and had all the power I need. There are lots in the area with the same options, however absolutely none have the anti-spin, even though we are in a snowy area (Ontario Canada). The price however is amazing on left over 2017s. I could actually keep some money in my pocket which would be a nice change.

Here's my question...with modern traction control, 4wd, and dedicated winter tires, is the anti-spin a must?

I don't really go off-road, and any towing would be sperratic during summer months. I have to make a decision soon. Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Personally, I'd want the limited slip diff. My 17 2500 has it and it improves 2wd traction a lot. Way better than the POS G80 locker that my 15 1500 Silverado had, that never seemed to lock up! (Junk)

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have it and my truck goes anywhere I need it to go whether it's in deep snow or raining and muddy. If you aren't going to go off-roading then I don't think you really need it. I'm sure there will be a 100 people telling you it's a must have but for me not so much....

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
I'll say this ...... my 2015 had it and my 2016 doesn't and i use my truck at our ranch driving through some roads that are not really roads and even in the mud i can not tell any difference now if i was going to give it hell and try and climb rocks and go where i shouldn't then yes i would be able to a little bit , i have built jeeps and been around that type of thing so i do have a little knowing . I really think they way the trucks are set up it is not going to make much difference at all if it has it or doesn't for 95% of people . Just my .02

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Depends on your area and driving conditions. Here in Florida, 4x4 isn't needed much, but we get tons of rain. Without limited slip, the truck is not drivable in the rain here.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didnt have it in my first 15, but I do in my second. I really cant tell much of a difference unless doing burnouts. Maybe a little better in the rain, but if its bad just put it in auto....

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, people are going to disagree with me, but here it goes. This is my experience from living in NY and 4wd's

Snow/Ice on road you want an OPEN differential and 4wd (where they actually plow). In heavy off-road snow (or unplowed heavy snow roads) you want Limited Slip or a Locker. This is why ARB's or other open (when unlocked) selectable lockers are so popular.

The reason behind it is, with a limited slip/locker on road, when you lose traction you lose lateral control (fishtail). With an open diff, the wheel without power will prevent the fishtail by not losing lateral traction.

An easy example, in the rain, with a limited slip if you take off and lose traction, the rear will slide sideways, while an open diff one wheel will spin, and you will not slide sideways.

The longer the wheelbase the less noticeable this is, coming from the 2 door jeep wrangler world with mud tires I worked my way from a factory LSD, to a lunchbox locker to a detroit locker to finally an ARB locker. There was nothing better than open on road, and the option to fully lock the axles.

Honestly, the amount of times a LSD out weights an Open diff is minimal if you are a person who is on road only. It only really matters if you have a heavy foot in rain (traction control will back off power either with a LSD or Open when you lose traction), live in a place with tons of unplowed snow days, or if you offroad you truck (if you offroad, you will quickly learn that a clutch driven LSD is only a temporary band-aid, and you really want either a gear driven LSD or a locker).

EDIT: For me, when I was looking for my truck (got it just about 2 weeks ago), it was far more important to me to get the 3.92 ratio over the LSD. If I had to pick between open with 3.92 or LSD with any other ratio, I would go 3.92. I did end up with a truck with both 3.92 and LSD.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok, people are going to disagree with me, but here it goes. This is my experience from living in NY and 4wd's

Snow/Ice on road you want an OPEN differential and 4wd (where they actually plow). In heavy off-road snow (or unplowed heavy snow roads) you want Limited Slip or a Locker. This is why ARB's or other open (when unlocked) selectable lockers are so popular.

The reason behind it is, with a limited slip/locker on road, when you lose traction you lose lateral control (fishtail). With an open diff, the wheel without power will prevent the fishtail by not losing lateral traction.

An easy example, in the rain, with a limited slip if you take off and lose traction, the rear will slide sideways, while an open diff one wheel will spin, and you will not slide sideways.

The longer the wheelbase the less noticeable this is, coming from the 2 door jeep wrangler world with mud tires I worked my way from a factory LSD, to a lunchbox locker to a detroit locker to finally an ARB locker. There was nothing better than open on road, and the option to fully lock the axles.

Honestly, the amount of times a LSD out weights an Open diff is minimal if you are a person who is on road only. It only really matters if you have a heavy foot in rain (traction control will back off power either with a LSD or Open when you lose traction), live in a place with tons of unplowed snow days, or if you offroad you truck (if you offroad, you will quickly learn that a clutch driven LSD is only a temporary band-aid, and you really want either a gear driven LSD or a locker).

EDIT: For me, when I was looking for my truck (got it just about 2 weeks ago), it was far more important to me to get the 3.92 ratio over the LSD. If I had to pick between open with 3.92 or LSD with any other ratio, I would go 3.92. I did end up with a truck with both 3.92 and LSD.

id say this is pretty spot on. LSD is nice to have, certainly not needed though (for most driving situations). if your getting a great deal, i wouldnt be too concerned about not having it. you can add a limited slip carrier later if you feel you need it without breaking the bank. its much more important to make sure you get a gear ratio that suits your needs.

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't speak to the snow, but I like having "go" when the right wheel is in the marbles at a 4/2 way stop/merge zone.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on your area and driving conditions. Here in Florida, 4x4 isn't needed much, but we get tons of rain. Without limited slip, the truck is not drivable in the rain here.

I respectfully disagree.
Living in central Florida as well, I have no problems whatsoever driving my 2WD Hemi RAM with the open diff even in the worst downpours. It just takes some sensitivity in the right foot.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im up in Fairbanks and we get a good amount of snow, and temps in the winter can hit as low as -50F.
I have an open diff although I wish I had an LSD, but it's really just for some help off road. I will say, however, it is unnecessary for my application and even in my environment there is little need for anything extra. Last winter I had to guide a buddy to a house to recover a stuck Ford on some weird back roads. Thin, 1.5 lane roads that snake through hills and trees after a fresh snow dump and total about 15-24 inches unplowed (all about momentum and dont stop!)
I do have Blizzaks for winter, which I believe contribute a large part of it, but my truck handles like a dream. I had an 04 Sierra with the G80 and think the Ram with the open diff handles the conditions up here significantly better. The mud and off roading I go through is about nerf bar deep (Bils at 2.1 and 1inch rear spacer) and have yet to get stuck but I am also not new to it so driving skill probably helps too.

I do not think you need a LSD unless you are building a rig for off roading, these new trucks are built so anyone can pretty much hop in and get around without worry. That being said, the dealer IS looking into how much it would be to swap mine and if Maxcare would cover any future issues.... but that's because I have a problem always looking for another mod :naughty:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the price to add it to your truck is not out of sight. You can use some of the money you save on the price of the truck. IMHO I like the limited slip better than the open rear end---but that's just my opinion. But----as most people have found--you can get stuck with either a limited slip or an open diff. When you truly believe you can't stick one, you better have a tow strap with you. :naughty:
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As stated, not really needed with 4 auto. More important to have good tires.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A proper locker would be much better. I'm surprised more full sized trucks don't have them, since you can get them on ALL of the mid sized trucks.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go ahead and buy the truck if it's priced right and save up to eventually have a Mopar lsd installed. I was stationed in upstate NY with a 2wd truck and in Alaska and had open diff trucks and got along just fine. Good tires and a little weight in the back will make a bigger difference IMO.

Cowbell_Fever123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in rural ontario (on a farm) and I have a 2wd without limited slip. Last winter I ran snow tires. And put some weight in the back of my truck. As far as on road the truck handled far better then it does with the SR-As in rainy conditions. The only time it had a little trouble was if i was at a really slow speed going uphill with heavy snow because TC would kick on and I would lose all power.