Sound and Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys, have a few questions. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Hemi. I recently had a 2.5 inch leveling kit installed along with new wheels and Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70R18. Not to mention a Borla S-Type Cat back exhaust. I've noticed with the larger tires I've lost a few mpg, not too big a deal. My main concern is the amount of money I paid for the Borla exhaust. Not really happy with the sound volume of the exhaust. Would also like to gain a few more HP and get back my mpg that I lost with the bigger tires if possible, my question is if I add a CAI and headers will that help the over all sound coming out the rear of my truck? Or do I just suck it up and deal with what I have? Will it help gain some HP and get back the mpg? Im sure some will say just cut out the cats or resonators but I want my truck to stay emissions legal. Also, id prefer not to cut out the Borla exhaust to add another. Sound is just one of the three things id like to achieve. Thanks!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Well a CAI and headers will help with sound, how much I'm not sure.

You won't ever gain back the MPG's that you had before the level and tires. You can tune it and put a CAI on and they'll help..a little. Don't buy them and expect 3 mpg out of them though.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Headers will change the exhaust note - if it'll be to your liking is unknown until you try it.

Gaining MPG back - IMO tuning is your best bet without ditching the heavy tires. All factory tunes are very conservative (intentionally). GOOD aftermarket tuning can yield not only more peak power, but overall performance of the engine - including lower fuel consumption during cruise. Factories don't do this because it's easier to reduce hydrocarbons with emissions controls than it is NOx (NOx goes up with leaner, less wasteful, tunes).

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm actually looking into getting a new set of tires soon and I am looking at tire weight, weather traction and low rolling resistance. The weight and rolling resistance helps, not a lot but does help.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Loud exhaust does not meAn more power. With that being said I wouldn't do headers unless your prepared for the exhaust to get considerably louder.

Can't do much mpg with these trucks, they have decent size V8s and they are like bricks moving through the air. Best way is gears and a tune.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't speak for long tube but my shorties didn't add a ton a sound. Really what they did was more enriched and deepened what I already had. Not to mention a lot more punch. MPG went down cause I have a heavy foot now :rotflmao:
My tuner will be here tomorrow so that'll be fun.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You may want to consider regearing to compensate for the bigger heavier tires.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any of you guys go catless? that should add some power and sound..

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any of you guys go catless? that should add some power and sound..

I know the with JBA long tubes my local muffler shop told me there wasn't enough room for the cats so you'd get that deeper sound and possibly louder. From what I was told you'd definitely need a tuner because your engine would be freaking out with the missing 02 sensors that are normally on the other side of the cat.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice looking truck !
As far as MPG just remember even though some mods on paper will give you more mpg the reality is 9 out 10 times your going Loose mpg . Normally not the mods Fault but more to having your new found power and sound your more then likely going to be driving harder so you enjoy it more and might not even realize it .
Just from my experience and 2 cents .

Last edited:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I realize yesterday I didn't put up any pics with my post. I know people including me like to see other people trucks.

Nice truck, but what's with the chrome handicap ******* rails. LOL a friend of mine had them on his Z71 . We always told him we were going to put a toilet in his bed.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I can't speak for long tube but my shorties didn't add a ton a sound. Really what they did was more enriched and deepened what I already had. Not to mention a lot more punch. MPG went down cause I have a heavy foot now :rotflmao:
My tuner will be here tomorrow so that'll be fun.

Shorties with stock ypipe and cats is only worth about 8hp. Increasing of noise will be small mainly due to the super ****** ypipe on these trucks which is killing your exhaust flow and therefore hp and noise. Removing the stock ypipe and replace with higher flowing one will increase noise and hp more than the headers did. The cats are a great way to reduce noise and flow as well. If u ever go with LTs and no cats I almost gaurentee you'll have to put a close to OEM car back on it to control the noise.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shorties with stock ypipe and cats is only worth about 8hp. Increasing of noise will be small mainly due to the super ****** ypipe on these trucks which is killing your exhaust flow and therefore hp and noise. Removing the stock ypipe and replace with higher flowing one will increase noise and hp more than the headers did. The cats are a great way to reduce noise and flow as well. If u ever go with LTs and no cats I almost gaurentee you'll have to put a close to OEM car back on it to control the noise.

I didn't have a tuner and didn't want to risk no cats and only two O2 sensors. I may still get LT in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk