Spark Plug Change Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I have a very good mechanic but the shop he works at has a tendency to overprice easy jobs, case in point they wanted over $300 to change 8 spark plugs. So I have decided to attempt the job myself, I'm fairly confident turning a wrench so what the hell. I ordered 8 OE plugs and this nifty looking tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ25YJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any advice for this job? Any major do's or don'ts? Thanks in advance.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rams have 16 plugs :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That socket should help, might want an extension as well.

Before you put the plugs back, take note of the plugs condition as you take them out. I would take 8 paper cups and label them and drop the pulled plug in the tight cup, so you can easily identify any problem cylinders.

I like using anti sieze when putting back plugs, that makes it easier next change. Dielectic grease can be helpful protecting the cap, or more persise where the cap meets the top of the sparkplug. Keeps stray current down and keep water out. But, you don't want it on top of the plug, you put it on the side of the plug or rubber, but try not to get it on the small silver/copper top.

If you see a real bad plug, good time to clean that cylinder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
The rams have 16 plugs :)

Yes but I don't have a hemi so I do not have 16 top side spark plugs. I have 8 top/intake plugs and 8 bottom/exhaust plugs (at least that's how I have come to understand it). I'm pretty sure I read that the bottom exhaust side plugs were 100k change interval so I'm only changing the top 8 copper plugs. Please correct me if any of this is wrong.

edit: checked rock auto and the intake side plugs are (8) copper and the exhaust side plugs are (8) irridium

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8

Before you put the plugs back, take note of the plugs condition as you take them out. I would take 8 paper cups and label them and drop the pulled plug in the tight cup, so you can easily identify any problem cylinders.

I like using anti sieze when putting back plugs, that makes it easier next change. Dielectic grease can be helpful protecting the cap, ot more pressie where the cap meets the top of the sparkplug. Keeps stray current down and keep water out. But, you don't want it on top of the plug, you put it on the side of the plug or rubber, but try not to get it on the small silver top.

Thanks for the tips. The plugs I ordered have threads already coated for anti seize and I have dielectric grease I can use.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Let us know the condition of the plugs, so few of us post up results. Maybe pull a couple of the exhaust plugs if you see corroded top plugs, just to check the condition, since you are already there doing stuff.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes but I don't have a hemi so I do not have 16 top side spark plugs. I have 8 top/intake plugs and 8 bottom/exhaust plugs (at least that's how I have come to understand it). I'm pretty sure I read that the bottom exhaust side plugs were 100k change interval so I'm only changing the top 8 copper plugs. Please correct me if any of this is wrong.

edit: checked rock auto and the intake side plugs are (8) copper and the exhaust side plugs are (8) irridium
Woops, totally missed your engine type sorry man.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a very good mechanic but the shop he works at has a tendency to overprice easy jobs, case in point they wanted over $300 to change 8 spark plugs. So I have decided to attempt the job myself, I'm fairly confident turning a wrench so what the hell. I ordered 8 OE plugs and this nifty looking tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ25YJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any advice for this job? Any major do's or don'ts? Thanks in advance.

That socket might not fit,i had to grind down a plug socket to do the plugs on my old 13 that had a 4.7.The 4.7's are very tight around the plugs.it might be okay,just fore warning you,you might need to grind it down a bit.

OP
OP
S

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
That socket might not fit,i had to grind down a plug socket to do the plugs on my old 13 that had a 4.7.The 4.7's are very tight around the plugs.it might be okay,just fore warning you,you might need to grind it down a bit.

Yea I'm a little worried about it but if the one I ordered doesn't work I will try to order a thin walled socket and figure out how to make it work.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I thought in 08 or 09 they changed the 4.7L to 16 plugs?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
found this on allpar.com

The 2008 redesign had two spark plugs per cylinder, a 9.8:1 compression ratio, better port flow, and new slant/squish heads.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
found this on allpar.com

The 2008 redesign had two spark plugs per cylinder, a 9.8:1 compression ratio, better port flow, and new slant/squish heads.

You should maybe read the 4th post again,he already knows he has 16 plugs,but he's only changing the top side plugs,as they're copper

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
You should maybe read the 4th post again,he already knows he has 16 plugs,but he's only changing the top side plugs,as they're copper

I can't read it again since I never read it in the first place :insane:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I like using anti sieze when putting back plugs, that makes it easier next change. Dielectic grease can be helpful protecting the cap, or more persise where the cap meets the top of the sparkplug. Keeps stray current down and keep water out. But, you don't want it on top of the plug, you put it on the side of the plug or rubber, but try not to get it on the small silver/copper top.

If you see a real bad plug, good time to clean that cylinder.

Burla, how does one clean a cylinder? Thanks

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Wonder why they used two different plugs?

OP
OP
S

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Wonder why they used two different plugs?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is the nature of the plugs and their location. If they are in the exhaust side and harder to get to, then using iridium and only changing every 100k makes sense.

OP
OP
S

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Update: I cleaned my engine compartment all nice and shiny and realized it was way harder to get to the damn spark plugs then I imagined. I didn't want to screw something up so I think I'll let a professional do it. Hopefully this doesn't cost me my man card lol.