Spark Plug Change Intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IHRedRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was just curious why Ram recommends changing the spark plugs at 32,000 miles when most other manufacturers recommend 100,000? Seems especially painful when the HEMI has 16 spark plugs to change.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
2 Bucks each, standard copper, only last that long as the gap starts to open up on them way past 45 thou. Other Plugs (Platnum/Iridium) don't work. I was pig headed and wasted 225 bucks on iridium and had to pull them after 12K miles so now I am Back to Copper. With patience, a game plan, nice tools including an Inch Lbs Torque wrench you can do it. Each time you'll get faster. Just keep the receipt and record the mileage for your records. Here in Canada they charge over 100 bucks an hour. Not sure how long they allocate a Monkey to do this but I am sure its prolly 2 at least. 40 minutes is my record.

Rumblebee#2331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found the gap doubled on my stock oem plugs in my 04 hemi after 40k, at 70 they looked fine, so not sure if its just the factory plugs that suck, but second set looked perfect after 40k more miles. dont waste your money on anything other then single electrode basic champion plugs, everything else is a gimick

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I found the gap doubled on my stock oem plugs in my 04 hemi after 40k, at 70 they looked fine, so not sure if its just the factory plugs that suck, but second set looked perfect after 40k more miles. dont waste your money on anything other then single electrode basic champion plugs, everything else is a gimick

Champion only on 3rd gen and older. 4th Gens use NGK Copper and they seem to only sell exact plug at dealer.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
also don't waste your money on expensive plugs, the hemi's run best on the stock copper plugs

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have a 2011 Ram and changed factory plugs at 60,000. Old plugs looked good and gap wasn't far off factory setting. Ran the same with new plugs, stock ones. Truck also ran [email protected] mph with k&n drop in, flowmaster hd 50 single exhaust and flashpak tuned set for 87 octane tune. 392 gears.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you get OE coil packs from from one of the newer trucks or the SOS COP's you can run the NGK iridium's that come on the newer trucks and spec a 100K service interval. You should also be able to run the new Ruthenium plugs from NGK, which based on the science, should last longer than iridiums. That being said I haven't seen any long term independent testing of the Ruthenium plugs to back up those claims, but the science seems solid. Running the iridiums without the newer coils is where you run into trouble since iridium plugs are a bit harder to spark than your standard copper plug since copper is much more conductive and there for easier to arc across the gap. The downside to copper is that it wears much faster being a softer metal. The king of plugs would actually be silver plugs like brisk, but those are going to wear way faster and are only really needed when igniting exotic fuel mixtures.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
per rockauto, there are several iridium plugs available for 14 and newer 4th gens. how does the ngk 92145 compare to the ngk iridium IX LFR5AIX11? Denso also has 3 iridium options, more expensive than oe 92145. any advantage to those?

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Ok wait, you mention 32k. My manual says 100k...

What year is your truck? Want to make sure I don’t wait until 100k if it’s really 32k!

I have a 2018, but still recommend sticking to copper?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
4.5 Gens (2014-2019 Classic) use iridium and are rated for at least 100K miles before gap checking/replacement.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok wait, you mention 32k. My manual says 100k...

What year is your truck? Want to make sure I don’t wait until 100k if it’s really 32k!

I have a 2018, but still recommend sticking to copper?
They changed over to the iridium plugs//100k for the 2014 trucks

You’re good for 100k.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had older 5.7s and 6.1 that required change at 30k using standard plugs. Back then there was an issue with the PCM acting up using anything other than standard plugs, according to my local dealership. I bought a 2014 5.7 and it had changed to 100k with iridium's or platinum's I think. My newer car 6.4 and truck 6.4 require 100K change. I will change them at 50K just to make sure I have plenty of anti-seize on them. It is alot cheaper/better/ faster than dealing with a seized plug... in any engine. On the truck 5.7 I found it better to remove all the plugs front to back and install the back to front, gives a little more room under brake booster and master cylinder and A/C doins on the other side.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys might want to look at the time stamps on the earlier posts they were from 2012

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anybody else in Canada having trouble tracking down copper plugs? Both NAPA and Canadian Tire aren't carrying any and both are saying that platinum or iridium are recommended for my truck.

Any current mechanics out there that know of any flashes that make the 2013 and older hemi's compatible with premium plugs?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you get OE coil packs from from one of the newer trucks or the SOS COP's you can run the NGK iridium's that come on the newer trucks and spec a 100K service interval. You should also be able to run the new Ruthenium plugs from NGK, which based on the science, should last longer than iridiums. That being said I haven't seen any long term independent testing of the Ruthenium plugs to back up those claims, but the science seems solid. Running the iridiums without the newer coils is where you run into trouble since iridium plugs are a bit harder to spark than your standard copper plug since copper is much more conductive and there for easier to arc across the gap. The downside to copper is that it wears much faster being a softer metal. The king of plugs would actually be silver plugs like brisk, but those are going to wear way faster and are only really needed when igniting exotic fuel mixtures.

Good to change your plugs just like you change your underwear. and the big buck plugs are getting your hard earned money from you .Over nothing but a thought in your head I got these plugs and they cost a lot

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody else in Canada having trouble tracking down copper plugs? Both NAPA and Canadian Tire aren't carrying any and both are saying that platinum or iridium are recommended for my truck.

Any current mechanics out there that know of any flashes that make the 2013 and older hemi's compatible with premium plugs?

Your truck is 100% coppers - can you get US amazon? There's some on there for ~$70USD. And a flash wont take care of it; you would need to change out the coil packs.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
is NGK the answer for Iridium plugs? i see NGK sells a 92145 laser iridium just over $6 ea and a NGK LFR5AIX11 IX about $1 cheaper ea. I also find Bosch sells a fine wire double iridium a little less than that. any benefit to one over the other?