Spark plug help!!! Plug stuck in Head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the pugs have never been changed. Rental companies don't maintain the vehicle's other than wash and vacuum, the woman probably didn't do it either. Your plugs look right for the mileage, I went 156K on my stock plugs and they weren't much worse. Don't worry about it, they'll change it and all will be good.

Sent From 1 of Many Samsung Devices

Hopefully it's just stubborn, at least the dealer is doing it and not me haha, not affaid of spark plugs, but that one was not right haha!

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Keep us updated, I think it's just seized a little it's probably a good idea for $60 to not take the risk. I don't think the plug work work very well if it was crossed they wouldn't of gotten it in very far crossed.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
A few of mine were very tight when I changed them at 60K. I was really afraid I was going to break one in the head.

Mine still looked fine too, so I dont what the deal is with the 30K change rule.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few of mine were very tight when I changed them at 60K. I was really afraid I was going to break one in the head.

Mine still looked fine too, so I dont what the deal is with the 30K change rule.

Gotcha, im sure its fine, just rather spend the money and if this is an issue its in there watch, i already prepted the sparkplug, i hope they use the one that i provide and not put it aside.... so when i have todo them at 90 or 120, i know they will come out no problem!

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If I was doing it...
I would start the engine and bring it up to temp, alum expands much more than steel, the try getting it out of there

had this issue on a set of Edelbrock alum heads, heating up the engine solved it for me

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was doing it...
I would start the engine and bring it up to temp, alum expands much more than steel, the try getting it out of there

had this issue on a set of Edelbrock alum heads, heating up the engine solved it for me

This! Put some heat in the engine. Not running temp, but warm enough.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
PCT... no substitute for good tools, especially if you are gonna wrench yourself at all. Spend a little dough and buy just the basics in a good brand.

Also if you know you're gonna tackle a task, make sure you have the tools you need. Lots of vids out on exactly how to access the plugs here. This job is known to be a huge pain in the ass for a reason. Trying to shortcut the tools won't work.

A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Like it goes down here in TX, if the tool you got don't get it; get a bigger tool, although I think a 36" breaker bar would get the job done, but at what cost...

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PCT... no substitute for good tools, especially if you are gonna wrench yourself at all. Spend a little dough and buy just the basics in a good brand.

Also if you know you're gonna tackle a task, make sure you have the tools you need. Lots of vids out on exactly how to access the plugs here. This job is known to be a huge pain in the ass for a reason. Trying to shortcut the tools won't work.

A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

I have decent tools haha, i dont have snap on or mac, but i dont have walmart, or harborfrieght. I have the tools needed, had to modify my sparkplug socket, so it would fit in the thin walls. I was able to get all 7 out, but this one was just not budging, i didnt wanna break the plug, or strip the head. If the truck was out of warranty, i would try these techniques, like warm it up, breaker bar ext. But since its under warrenty, ill have them deal with it. If its fine i wasted 60, if its stuck then hopefully they will be faithful and replace what ever needs to be replaced. Haha sparkplugs are no new venture for me.

The plugs arent to difficult to reach, actually very easy, i guess im spoiled, working on my 6.0 and my friends 6.4 a lot.

I know yall are thinking im a nub because i cant get it out, just rather not push it on a vehicle that is under warranty. Feel me?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
roger that. I was under the impression you were trying to do more with less...lol

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
roger that. I was under the impression you were trying to do more with less...lol

HAHA, would never do a job with tools that i dont have, EXCEPT, i may try compressing my front springs with the oriley/autozone spring strut compressor lol...

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I never realized how much I would need a magnetic spark plug socket.

You should have seen me when I broke the first plug lose with my normal spark plug socket...hahah.
Um how am I supposed to get the plug out? hahaha

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to hear, glad nothing was damaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You should have seen me when I broke the first plug lose with my normal spark plug socket...hahah.

My modified socket is a rubber boot insert, my normal socket is magnetic...

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
wait................ I thought ALL 16 were platinum's on 2013+. Your saying only half are?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Mines had a rubber boot inside of it, but I never realised in would need a magnet on a stick to get the socket back out of the hole! Glad I did though made easy work of the ones under the booster

wait................ I thought ALL 16 were platinum's on 2013+. Your saying only half are?

I'm not sure about the hemi I will have to look it up. PCT has a 4.7l and 2 different banks of plugs 1 high 1 low 8 in each. I know my 14 hemi had iridumns but not sure about the 13's.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mines had a rubber boot inside of it, but I never realised in would need a magnet on a stick to get the socket back out of the hole! Glad I did though made easy work of the ones under the booster

I'm not sure about the hemi I will have to look it up. PCT has a 4.7l and 2 different banks of plugs 1 high 1 low 8 in each. I know my 14 hemi had iridumns but not sure about the 13's.

From what I understand, there the same! Actually I was reading somewhere the 4.7 can tolerate iridium plugs, and the reason they use copper is so service is staggered and would cost a lot at a dealership at 100k... Not sure how true that is...
But the Hemi from what I understand, NEEDS copper, doesn't run good with iridium.

The rubber boot works, but sometimes the socket would stay on the plug, so I lathered the boot in di-electric grease, and put tape on my extension. Worked much better!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
From what I understand, there the same! Actually I was reading somewhere the 4.7 can tolerate iridium plugs, and the reason they use copper is so service is staggered and would cost a lot at a dealership at 100k... Not sure how true that is...
But the Hemi from what I understand, NEEDS copper, doesn't run good with iridium.

The rubber boot works, but sometimes the socket would stay on the plug, so I lathered the boot in di-electric grease, and put tape on my extension. Worked much better!

Yeah the hemi should run cooper I have seen many post of people having issues after platinums or iridumns from what I hear the coil packs aren't strong enough until the 13 or 14s when they switched to iridumns.