spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semihemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I seen in my manual that I should change my plugs at 32,000 miles. I have 27,532 miles on my truck now and I pulled out one plug out and it looked fine to me. My truck has the 5.7 HEMI in it.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Def do it just for warranty purposes...no matter what condition the plugs appear to be in.

OP
OP
S

semihemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah.. I was thinking the same but ****.... 16 plugs is freaking costly to change ever 30,000 miles. Don't understand why we have to change them that soon for. Must have to deal with that MDS crap I dont like. Thanks for the suggestion though.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the OEM gen3 plugs were copper, I think now, the OEM Mopar plugs are nickel NGK plugs...so they're not really a long life plug, like platinum or iridium.

OP
OP
S

semihemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was thinking they where cooper until i pulled one out and i seen ngk on the plug. I wanted to go platinum but people said its not a good idea to put platinum's in the HEMIs. Something about the HEMIs runs hot or something and the platinum's wouldn't be good run in them. :****sweak:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's just how these engines are and have always been. For whatever reason, Chrysler engines just do not like anything other than copper or nickel plugs. I will say, the NGK plugs are definately a small step better then the copper champions.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah.. I was thinking the same but ****.... 16 plugs is freaking costly to change ever 30,000 miles. Don't understand why we have to change them that soon for. Must have to deal with that MDS crap I dont like. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I don't have my manual in hand to reference at the moment but I do believe that at 30-32k you are suppose to replace only the lower 8 plugs then at about 60k you're suppose to replace the upper plugs and so on and so forth.

Personally I don't mind going on and replacing all plugs every 30k just because it's one more thing you can do to keep your engine running in tip top shape and prevent any plug related problems.

OP
OP
S

semihemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed all 16 of them this morning only took me two hours. I remember changing plugs only took 30 min to an hour. I had a 95 blazer in high school and i remember doing a tune up on it and only taking me 45 minutes to do it lol and thats changing plugs, wires, and disturber cap. Think I might just swap out the hemi and put a twin turbo 4 cylinder Honda motor in it since changing the plugs will be easier since there on top of the motor and there only 4 plugs. #ricer

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have my manual in hand to reference at the moment but I do believe that at 30-32k you are suppose to replace only the lower 8 plugs then at about 60k you're suppose to replace the upper plugs and so on and so forth.

Personally I don't mind going on and replacing all plugs every 30k just because it's one more thing you can do to keep your engine running in tip top shape and prevent any plug related problems.

IN the 2012 owners manual, only the 4.7's are done like that. Now, all 16 plugs on the Hemi get changed at the same interval. Now, on the 4.7's, the top row gets changed every 48K miles and the bottom row every 96K miles.