Spark Plugs every 32K?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shopshirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may be a dumb question but why couldn't you just switch to the plugs used in the 14 models? I can't imagine that much changed tune wise to extend the sparkplug life. Has to be the plug upgrade that gives you the longer plug life.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
This may be a dumb question but why couldn't you just switch to the plugs used in the 14 models? I can't imagine that much changed tune wise to extend the sparkplug life. Has to be the plug upgrade that gives you the longer plug life.

Mainly because some have claimed issues after swapping them, I read it on another forum but essentially performance issues with the trucks, lagging and what nots. Others had no issues so seems to be hit or miss. Also there was a lot of discussion regarding different versions of the owners manual stating different intervals for changing the plugs.

oz97tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Alot goes into plug design and ones not specified for a specific engine shouldnt be used unless you know what youre doing.

However, a guy could certainly buy the proper spec pkug with iridium tips to further change intervals. The material on the tip doesnt change the spark produced or the heat range of a plug.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Platinum sucks. I've had nothing but issues with platinums...forever.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

It has something to do with the software and coil packs being different on 14's vs pre 14's.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Interesting, my ram toolbox app just updated today and under vehicle maintenance it says to change the spark plugs at the 100k mark but only on the 3.6L engine. Still says to replace all the plugs on the 5.7 at 30k and the top row of plugs on the 4.7L. Also see no mention of replacing the bottom row of plugs on the 4.7L I assume thats a mistake

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Platinum sucks. I've had nothing but issues with platinums...forever.

Please elaborate. I can't fathom any issues going from a copper plug to a platinum plug other than in your wallet.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Old School Copper here too!

Swapped mine at 25k for my Supercharger install
I used Denso's 3381's (one stage colder for boosted/sprayed applications)

They were less than half the cost of the stealership "recommended" plugs
...and DIY install saved me almost $250 in labor lol

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Swapped mine at 22k chasing a spark ping, they looked perfect...

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In a engine designed specifically for copper and nothing else it causes issues for most.

We'll lets be honest. The engine wasn't designed "specifically" for copper plugs. It was a cost cutting measure and nothing else.

It also doesn't cause issues for most.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
In a engine designed specifically for copper and nothing else it causes issues for most.

The only issues you can get are if your running boost. Platinums runn hot and you don't want a hot plug in a FI car.

That's why I run two stage colder plugs in my GTP.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has something to do with the software and coil packs being different on 14's vs pre 14's.

Actually it has nothing to do with software.

It also has nothing to do with the coil packs. They have been the same since 05-06 off the top of my head.

The 14's use a platinum plug in the 6.4 according to the 2014 sales brochure. So my assumption initially was that they where the same in the 5.7.

After further investigation the 5.7 appears to use iridium plugs supplied by NGK. (OEM contract provider).

Until I have them in my hand I can't be 100 percent if the sales brochure on the 6.4 is a typo or not. It seems rather odd the 6.4 would use platinum and the 5.7 iridium or vise versa.

Either way they are an extended service plug now.

I'd also go out on a limb and say some of the late build 13's if not most have the newer plugs in them.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Any idea as to why the 3.6L is on such a vastly different schedule than the 5.7L on the 2013s?

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any idea as to why the 3.6L is on such a vastly different schedule than the 5.7L on the 2013s?

The Pentastar should have either platinum or iridium plugs thus the 100k mile interval.

For the longest time the 5.7 Hemi has left the factory with Champion copper plugs. Thus their suggested 30k change interval.

The 6.1 Hemi had platinum plugs back in 06. A bonus for spending money on a SRT vehicle I suppose. :)

Stuff isn't leaving with copper anymore on most offerings from the big 3. Everything now is about increasing fuel efficiency and stretching service intervals.

Three thousand mile oil changes and 30k plug changes on stuff is a thing of the past. They seem to be slowly but surely moving away from timing belts and interference motor designs too.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What issues do most have? I've switched and haven't had a problem in several vehicles.

Mainly carbon fouling issues and only in colder climates.
I've worked at the dealer and see it every winter, as soon as it gets cold they start coming in on the hook for no starts, for some reason in cold temps they don't want to fire and the vehicle won't start.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. I haven't experienced that, and I'm in the northeast. That would be hard to miss. LOL I'll know what to look for if it happens though.