spark plugs, gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LastChance

Reaction score
I live in ft walton beach florida but my job requi
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a 2011 1500 4x4 with 97k miles. i bought the truck with 80k on it. my assumption would be they have never been changed. i want the best spark plug i can get. i dont mind having to change them frequently. in your opinion what should i get? i would like to upgrade my wires and distributor as well. my gas mileage is 12 and 98% of my driving is hwy. i knew i would get lousy mpg when i bought my truck. i just want to see if i can make it any better because when i read about other peoples mpg it seems like theirs is higher than mine. i drove a 2013 a few months ago and it was getting 19mpg. my truck is all stock as well. i will be getting a cold air intake and a chip very soon.

sooo my questions are?

whats the best spark plug, wires, and distributor for my stock hemi?

if you have a stock truck with 20in rims and 3.55 gears what is your mpg?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i have a 2011 1500 4x4 with 97k miles. i bought the truck with 80k on it. my assumption would be they have never been changed. i want the best spark plug i can get. i dont mind having to change them frequently. in your opinion what should i get? i would like to upgrade my wires and distributor as well. my gas mileage is 12 and 98% of my driving is hwy. i knew i would get lousy mpg when i bought my truck. i just want to see if i can make it any better because when i read about other peoples mpg it seems like theirs is higher than mine. i drove a 2013 a few months ago and it was getting 19mpg. my truck is all stock as well. i will be getting a cold air intake and a chip very soon.

sooo my questions are?

You don't have a distributor or wires. Stick to the stock plugs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well first 2 things...That mileage is awful, and your truck doesnt have wires or a distributor...

I prefer ngk plugs. Be a good time to change the air filter too.

What trans do you have? Still way worst mileage than my 3rd gen

OP
OP
LastChance

LastChance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well first 2 things...That mileage is awful, and your truck doesnt have wires or a distributor...

I prefer ngk plugs. Be a good time to change the air filter too.

What trans do you have? Still way worst mileage than my 3rd gen

yeah the milage is garbage. sometimes i can get it to 13. im a real mellow driver too. i almost bought a filter today but figured id wait another month because im going to get a cold air. im assuming i should change my o2 sensors too

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah the milage is garbage. sometimes i can get it to 13. im a real mellow driver too. i almost bought a filter today but figured id wait another month because im going to get a cold air. im assuming i should change my o2 sensors too

Oxygen sensors won't do anything. They work or they dont.
I'm assuming this is a 6 speed truck?

These also have 16 spark plugs fyi.

Change those, get you cold air intake, run mobil 1 or amsoil synthetic, clean your throttle body, run a can of seafoam through it.

Recalcute the mileage and see where you are at.

13 is terrible. I get 17-19 with a hemi and a light foot in a 07 qc 4x4

OP
OP
LastChance

LastChance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oxygen sensors won't do anything. They work or they dont.
I'm assuming this is a 6 speed truck?

These also have 16 spark plugs fyi.

Change those, get you cold air intake, run mobil 1 or amsoil synthetic, clean your throttle body, run a can of seafoam through it.

Recalcute the mileage and see where you are at.

13 is terrible. I get 17-19 with a hemi and a light foot in a 07 qc 4x4

i read a bunch of stuff today saying o2 sensors should be changed after 100k and when they have that many miles on them they will still work but will give you really ****** mpg. im looking at it as just maintance and its something i should just change out. yeah im aware they have 16 plugs. i run pennzoil synthetic and i put in a can of seafoam today.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^ agreed !

I have a stock 5.7L , 65RFE 6 speed xsmn & 355 differentials , light footed as well and I get 19+ and as much as 23 on long interstate trips . These are my evic #s my hand calculated # are pretty much 1 mpg less .

Once you get your throttle body & intake plenum clean maybe install an oil catch can and replace the PCV if you haven't already.
Good luck Sir , imo you should be getting a minimum of 15-16 mpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LastChance

LastChance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^ agreed !

I have a stock 5.7L , 65RFE 6 speed xsmn & 355 differentials , light footed as well and I get 19+ and as much as 23 on long interstate trips . These are my evic #s my hand calculated # are pretty much 1 mpg less .

Once you get your throttle body & intake plenum clean maybe install an oil catch can and replace the PCV if you haven't already.
Good luck Sir , imo you should be getting a minimum of 15-16 mpg

whats the PCV?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Positive Crankcase Vent.

It provides a vent for your engines crankcase , unfortunately it's vented into the thottle body .
Read here www.oilcatchcan.com
You'll find all you need to know about the PCV system and the long term problems that venting to the throttle body causes .

If the link above doest work for ya , try this one.

http://oilcatchcan.com/

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are going that far, you can throw a water temp sensor at it also. Not unheard of one being corroded and reading low, and causing the engine to run richer...but really stretching there

jljbtm

Reaction score
Some of these trucks have exhaust leaks at the manifold (before the o2) so if it's leaking gas it's also sucking In oxygen and fooling the o2 telling the computer were running too lean therefore the computer adds more fuel to correct the fuel ratio. Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whats the best spark plug for my stock hemi?

I read and read and was told stock Mopar copper plugs we're the best.i changed mine and have enjoyed them.

I have stock 20s, 3.55s, and have a 2011. I am 2wd with a leveling kit, but I average 15.4 mpg and that's about 70% city driving.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
When doing a plug change, you said the best.. Well you wanna know what is best for your truck? Stock Champion copper plugs! (Or NGK if you like the name better).

These motors do not like a hot plug. If you put a Plat or a ED3, you're actually hurting the permanence.

Stick with the factory plug, and change every 30K.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

sooo my questions are?

Not sure if anyone asked, are you running regular gas? 87?? If so there is your issue. Mine was between 12 and 13 on regular and I get about 14-15 on the 89 (which is recommended)

OP
OP
LastChance

LastChance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if anyone asked, are you running regular gas? 87?? If so there is your issue. Mine was between 12 and 13 on regular and I get about 14-15 on the 89 (which is recommended)

I've tested 87, 89, 91. I ran each for a week and I saw no difference whatsoever. I always use 89 now. Yesterday I put seafoam in with my gas and drove about 70 miles today on the hwy. Right now I'm at exactly 14mpg

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tested 87, 89, 91. I ran each for a week and I saw no difference whatsoever. I always use 89 now. Yesterday I put seafoam in with my gas and drove about 70 miles today on the hwy. Right now I'm at exactly 14mpg

I drive like an a$$hole so thats why mine is so bad.. I'd def swap the plugs, yours (and mine) are every 30k ... I'd start there then reset the PCM (disconnect the battery for 30 min) so it starts the fuel maps over.

Also, quick fix to replace the PCV like they already mention, and if you are doing it... toss in the catch can. Worth it, plus you can grab em used for about 70bucks on here.

OP
OP
LastChance

LastChance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive like an a$$hole so thats why mine is so bad.. I'd def swap the plugs, yours (and mine) are every 30k ... I'd start there then reset the PCM (disconnect the battery for 30 min) so it starts the fuel maps over.

Also, quick fix to replace the PCV like they already mention, and if you are doing it... toss in the catch can. Worth it, plus you can grab em used for about 70bucks on here.

Lol nice! I'm light footed but that will probably change once I change out my exhaust system.

What's the PCV? I have no clue what that is.