Spectre CAI reviews?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapest supporting mod for a tune is a 180 t-stat, and Auto Zone sells one for like 12 bucks, yeah it might be a few degrees off but who cares.. Any good Tuner will see the actual coolant temp and use that to work with timing.

Sorry, I'm going to continue to shoot the bull until my intake arrives... maybe keeping this thread on top will educate people..

dont mine me..

The only thing that bothers me with the 180* stat is that where open loop and closed loop occurs. If it is 185* where closed loop starts then anything below that will require tuning to keep it out of open loop due to more fuel being dumped to try and warm the engine. Does anyone know what their oil temp is after installing a 180* stat?

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Funny you say 185* and closed loop, cause I thought about this too.. My AZ Tstat was 185*, the part number was said to be for a 180* (my info source was here......) I figured poor quality control. Now, either that Tstat was just "off" or they are in fact 185* for this very reason. That Tstat went with my old truck when I traded it in. I have a new one sitting in my shed I plan to install soon in my new truck, same part number. I'm hoping its 185*. I guess we will find out!

As for oil temps they were significantly lower. I remember them being right around what the coolant temp was maybe 20* more on the highway. I will make real note of it when I do my next t-stat..

UPDATE: I just checked with Jay, he sets the limit so it will not stay in open loop.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you say 185* and closed loop, cause I thought about this too.. My AZ Tstat was 185*, the part number was said to be for a 180* (my info source was here......) I figured poor quality control. Now, either that Tstat was just "off" or they are in fact 185* for this very reason. That Tstat went with my old truck when I traded it in. I have a new one sitting in my shed I plan to install soon in my new truck, same part number. I'm hoping its 185*. I guess we will find out!

As for oil temps they were significantly lower. I remember them being right around what the coolant temp was maybe 20* more on the highway. I will make real note of it when I do my next t-stat..

UPDATE: I just checked with Jay, he sets the limit so it will not stay in open loop.

Oh ok cool. Let me know what the tstat ends up being and if so let me in on the part number. I am curious to change mine but I am waiting on some tuning myself. Not from Jay or anyone here though.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Did you see when the article was posted.

K&N own spectre. When I bought my CAI, it was missing a few parts. I called the number and guess who picked up? K&N engineering.
Very good customer service BTW.
that's correct I was looking at old info, had to search for proof you were right not easy to find except since they both have the same stix nbrix address I am NOW a believer
glad you young'uns keep this old guy on his toes
brianj

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My opinion. I had a Spectre on my 99 Ram Sport. When I traded it in for my 2014 I bought a KN.

The only observable difference in quality was that they had no observable difference. The construction and installation were almost identical, but for them going on different engines in different model years.

If a Spectre was available for my truck I would have bought it in a heartbeat over the KN.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
spectre IS not a K&N product
see this link
K&N wins competition lawsuit | Powersports Business
spectre at best is a POSER
brianj
"a final end to Spectre's making false claims designed to influence consumers with misinformation dressed in the guise of tests that were not reliable, were not performed, or were not representative of the actual characteristics of Spectre's products"

Not a ringing endorsement for that company. :buffer:

After winning a $7M judgment, K&N probably got controlling interest in Spectre to liquidate the judgment as compensation--no knowledge, just speculating how a small company deals with losing that big a judgment against them---they hand over the keys to the HQ.

Last edited:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
look what came in a few days ago..

20150908_185107.jpg
20150908_185335.jpg

I painted it wrinkle black, its not installed yet. Waiting to see if the dealer is replacing my motor before I add mods right now.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
look what came in a few days ago..

20150908_185107.jpg
20150908_185335.jpg

I painted it wrinkle black, its not installed yet. Waiting to see if the dealer is replacing my motor before I add mods right now.
Is it Spectre or KN?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
umm..

I just bought a ebay copy of the Spectre intake.

Ching Chong China Brand?

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Waiting to see if the dealer replaces your engine? Say what?

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Waiting to see if the dealer replaces your engine? Say what?

Haha, yeah.. I have had a noise since the day I bought the truck. I told them about it before I bought it and they agreed they would certify it and take care of any repairs and give me a rental for as long as I needed. So I lived with this bearing noise (almost sounds like a supercharger wine) for about a month after I bought it. I brought it in and there were some Star Cases (kinda like a TSB) to replace the Oil Pump - Oil Pump was replaced, and the noise was still there. The next step was to replace the cam and lifters, cam and lifters were replaced, and the noise went away. They told me to drive it for a while and if the noise comes back let us know. I know the service people and Techs very well and they showed me the Star Case and it said if the cam does not fix the problem then a long block was the next step. So the noise came back, and i'm just waiting to call and make an appointment.

So I'm holding off putting anything on the truck I'm going to have to take off when I bring it in.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Haha, yeah.. I have had a noise since the day I bought the truck. I told them about it before I bought it and they agreed they would certify it and take care of any repairs and give me a rental for as long as I needed. So I lived with this bearing noise (almost sounds like a supercharger wine) for about a month after I bought it. I brought it in and there were some Star Cases (kinda like a TSB) to replace the Oil Pump - Oil Pump was replaced, and the noise was still there. The next step was to replace the cam and lifters, cam and lifters were replaced, and the noise went away. They told me to drive it for a while and if the noise comes back let us know. I know the service people and Techs very well and they showed me the Star Case and it said if the cam does not fix the problem then a long block was the next step. So the noise came back, and i'm just waiting to call and make an appointment.

So I'm holding off putting anything on the truck I'm going to have to take off when I bring it in.

You know I keep telling my self I wouldn't mind getting a new ram since mines a 09. Just so I don't have to worry about stuff like this.

But man I don't think the new ones are made any better. LOL

I would not want that truck after a cam and lifer swap, then now need a new block..

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Why? Its a new crate motor basically. if the issue is not fixed after that then its a Lemon and I get a new truck.. I got 85K miles left on my bumper to bumper.

I'm not mad.. Its a bad egg, **** happens, this is why there are warranties