Spohn Rear Suspension Components Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Much like the last time I posted about the rear suspension, I would like to say that I am neither lifted nor lowered and was told this is where the thread needs to be.

I recently installed my Spohn Panhard Rod and could tell, even in turns during normal driving, that the lateral motion of the rear end was much improved. No more loose rear end on my truck, she's nice and tight. I was impressed enough that I went ahead and ordered both their lower and upper control arms.

Today I installed both sets of control arms and despite being a bit more difficult to install due to the tight work area(s), it was still fairly easy to do and I did so by my lonesome. I love being able to say that I'm the one responsible for installing/performing the mods to my vehicles and am sure I'm not alone here.

I wasn't able to go out and put them through any real test today thanks to the good rain we're getting right now. But, when I gave a good bit of throttle from a dead stop (read that as enough that I normally would have spun the tires with my factory 3.92 gears), I heard the rear passenger side tire skidding a little bit, losing only partial traction, not even enough to engage the LSD. Again, this was during a rain storm with soaked pavement.

I'll try to get some installed pics later as the rain has turned into a down pour, and my poor girl is too big to fit into my garage. I can tell you that part of how these parts work their magic is in the huge polyurethane bushings. The factory parts don't have anywhere near the contact patch against the mounting points that Spohn's parts have. Also, Spohn's parts come pre-lubed and ready to be installed. No need to buy the 14 oz. grease cartridge unless you just want to keep it around for when they need a touch-up.

With that said, I'm very happy with my purchase and results. She now has a rock-solid foundation and is ready for a torque converter and some long tubes. Granted it will be a bit before I have the $$$ for those mods, my E-fan is officially on the way.

The modding continues!:head3:

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for that post. That is good news. I am planning on buying their kit that includes all of the items you purchased. I already have a Hellwig Sway bar in the rear, these items sould be a great addition. Glad to hear you noticed a difference.

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for that post. That is good news. I am planning on buying their kit that includes all of the items you purchased. I already have a Hellwig Sway bar in the rear, these items sould be a great addition. Glad to hear you noticed a difference.

Quite welcome! I should also note that I purchased the non-adjustable parts as I have no plans to lift/lower the truck. A front-only leveling kit would be the most I did and I probably won't even do that.

I would have gotten it all at once as well, but wanted to test the waters. I've got the OEM rear sway bar and was asking Spohn if they planned on making their own rear sway bar end links for it. They said that they would be looking into it, but I'm not sure how soon they'd be available based on that. BWoody already has a heavy duty set available, but I've never done any business with them. What's the difference in size between the Hellwig rear sway bar and OEM? Also, does it come with its own end links? If so, are they pretty beefy?

Last edited:

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does not come with end links. I am running with stockers right now until I find a set I like. The sway bar is 1 1/8", not sure what stock is but I know its def bigger than stock. It also has 3 mounting holes for the end links so you can dial in what you want as far as stiffness.

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does not come with end links. I am running with stockers right now until I find a set I like. The sway bar is 1 1/8", not sure what stock is but I know its def bigger than stock. It also has 3 mounting holes for the end links so you can dial in what you want as far as stiffness.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely be looking into this further.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can you supply a link to what you bought?

$miley

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I thought the Hellwig rear bar is 7/8"...not 1 1/8"?

EDIT....it's 7/8" for our 1500's. I'm not near mine or I wouldda just measured it. lol

Last edited:

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Pretty sure the stock one wasn't 7/8 but it's been a while since I swapped them.

Dawizman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My brother's rear end is loose & sagging on his 09, so he bought the spohn non-adjustable kit & tuff truck 25% capacity springs. We are going to be putting them in this weekend, and are glad to hear that you had such good results with them.

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at the factory bushings, you'll understand why a three year old truck could have some slop. Mine wasn't bad, but I wanted her to be as glued to the road as possible with the torque converter I plan on getting later. It does make the truck more fun to drive as I was able to take a sharp 180* off ramp earlier this evening at a much tighter angle than usual and at speed. Didn't want to try it earlier, but the roads finally dried off. Felt good to do that in my Ram. Not sure if I would have wanted to try the same exit with some of my department's Crowns lol.

Last edited:

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff man. Would love to see some pics and a link of where you bought it

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a link to Spohn on the first page. I bought directly from them. They shipped REALLY fast. It'll be Monday before I can get some pics thanks to a weekend on the night shift, but I'll be more than happy to do so.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I see it now lol... that's interesting. Might be my next mod. I need to take it easy for a while. Spent a lot lately.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My brother's rear end is loose & sagging on his 09, so he bought the spohn non-adjustable kit & tuff truck 25% capacity springs. We are going to be putting them in this weekend, and are glad to hear that you had such good results with them.

How did it go? Do you have any pics of this mod? I really want to see before and after.