squealing belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
about 2or 3 weeks ago my belt on my 2011 started squealing it'll do it for a couple of miles then stop . I checked it and it looks good couldn't see any cracks or any wear . it only has 15,000 on it I did try the old soap trick [not all that easy like the old belts lol] it did stop the first two times I started and ran the truck but then started right back in again. what I was wondering if anyone has used belt dressing before ? I never used it before and is this a bad idea ? or could it be one of the pulleys and not the belt ? thanks for the input .

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That stuff won't hurt anything but if the belt is making noise, there is a reason for it. If the belt looks alright, not badly glazed or cracked, pull it off and check the pulleys and water pump. You could have a failed bearing causing the belt to not ride square on the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your alternator too, I had that on my `04, intermittent squealing that turned out to be a bearing on the alternator. I took my alternator apart and greased the bearing, put it back in, and never had the problem again.

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^ agree with above. Use belt dressing until you find the culprit.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did this. The bearing in the water pump was the cause of the sqeaking. Happened at around 30k miles.
My initial thought was alternator too, but the dealer listened with a scope and found it to be coming from the water pump.

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My belt also squeels but not during driving or startup. Just when im on WOT and itll squeel when in shifts the first 2 gears

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
finally got the belt dressing and before I sprayed it on I looked over belt , it looked good didn't see any cracks and really didn't seemed glazed over so sprayed it on . first time out drove it about 34 miles and never heard a noise . 3 days later went to start it and right back again drove it anyhow it seemed to stop again after a few miles sprayed it up again weds and today [fri] when I started it it was back so gave it a quick spray and stopped drove 13 miles shut it off it sat for about 10mins and heard a little noise when I started it but not much well had to make 4 more stops and every time it got worse and buy the time I got home it was just as load as before . I did notice at idle it didn't make a sound but give it a little gas and it would . this is something I haven't heard it do before . what do you think the belt ? or something else ?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That stuff does not actually fix anything. It is just a band aid. Get a new belt. And when you have the old one off, inspect all the pulleys for looseness. They should not wobble side to side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hoping to get to the parts store this week and pick up a new belt pull off the old one and check everything . the belt that's on it looks good its only got 15,000 on it with my luck it'll be something else or everything !