SRT Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What is the difference between the SRT and the regular Mopar filter? I am ready to buy some 5w30 Redline and I want a good filter. I know allot of guys like the RP filter but just curious to the SRT filter.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It's synthetic media, thicker can, and higher bypass pressure. Made in Eastern Europe IIRC.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ are you sure it is synthetic media? I do not know, so I would like to see the link or info on that.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I know I had posted a photo of the filter and box w/info, but, naturally, can't find it. There was also an article printed with an interview with an SRT engineer. I had a snapshot of that and can't find it. I did come up with this commentary from a Q&A with an engineer:

SRT engineer round table Q&A April 15, 2014

Q. A lot of owners are starting to use the SRT Viper oilfilter on their 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 engines (SRT filter # 05038041AA). Is thereany advantage (or disadvantage) in using this filter vs. the standard Moparfilter?

A. The SRT Viper filter flows better than the stockPurolator filter and requires a higher differential pressure to bypass thefilter at cold starts and high demand (Meaning the SRT Viper filter bypassstays closed more often and filters more oil). Both filters will work on the5.7/6.1/6.4.

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2013/1...capability-and-increased-fuel-efficiency.html

When an SRT owner takes their vehicle to a driving eventwith the specific intent of exploring the far reaches of the performanceenvelope, they can rest assured that the 6.4-liter HEMI engine will sustain proper oil-pressures in extreme corneringconditions. For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter(part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it worksgreat with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higherdifferential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filterelement

"From the SRT Engineers:

The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the samecharacteristics. We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the bestfeatures. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended updeveloping the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (itis different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when wedeveloped it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is thebiggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens itallows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element inorder to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have ahigher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to yourpowerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brandsout there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick onesfailed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (andjust about every other filter out there).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bro can you cut that open after the next oil change? if not and you are interested you can send it to me and I'll do it. Thanks that is pretty cool, good to see another synthetic option.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks TJ, the last photo is the closest, it says advanced media which could mean a couple of different things. The only way to tell for sure, run it for 6 months and take the cover off. Stiff or pliable would tell the story. If it is still pliable, it is filtering.

Synthetic usually has mesh as well, paper uses a "glue" to bind the paper. No screen, no 100% synthetic fiber. The screen is necessary to hold the spun micro glass filter media.

Filter_qualties.jpg

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Thanks TJ, the last photo is the closest, it says advanced media which could mean a couple of different things. The only way to tell for sure, run it for 6 months and take the cover off. Stiff or pliable would tell the story. If it is still pliable, it is filtering.

Synthetic usually has mesh as well, paper uses a "glue" to bind the paper. No screen, no 100% synthetic fiber. The screen is necessary to hold the spun micro glass filter media.

Filter_qualties.jpg

I wish I could find that article. Anyway, the last sentence of what the engineer said,

"...The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (andjust about every other filter out there).

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The SRT filters are excellent. I don't know why they're only factory installed on Vipers (and I think Hellcats now). I've run them on my SRT since day one but hadn't thought about using them on my truck. Maybe I should.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^^ cool beans.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Some Possible facts on this Filter!

Oem srt oil filter..what makes it special - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

SRT engineer round table Q&A April 15, 2014

Q. A lot of owners are starting to use the SRT Viper oilfilter on their 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 engines (SRT filter # 05038041AA). Is thereany advantage (or disadvantage) in using this filter vs. the standard Moparfilter?

A. The SRT Viper filter flows better than the stockPurolator filter and requires a higher differential pressure to bypass thefilter at cold starts and high demand (Meaning the SRT Viper filter bypassstays closed more often and filters more oil). Both filters will work on the5.7/6.1/6.4.

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2013/1...capability-and-increased-fuel-efficiency.html

When an SRT owner takes their vehicle to a driving eventwith the specific intent of exploring the far reaches of the performanceenvelope, they can rest assured that the 6.4-liter HEMI engine will sustain proper oil-pressures in extreme corneringconditions. For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter(part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it worksgreat with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higherdifferential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filterelement

"From the SRT Engineers:

The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the samecharacteristics. We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the bestfeatures. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended updeveloping the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (itis different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when wedeveloped it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is thebiggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens itallows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element inorder to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have ahigher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to yourpowerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brandsout there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick onesfailed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The mediaused was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, moredebris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (andjust about every other filter out there).

Last edited: