SRT Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Bypass valve is at the top of the oil filter, which means if the bypass valve opens no oil is wasting over dirty filter media washing contaminants into your engine. I think this is the first synthetic oil filter I have seen with the bypass valve at the top of the oil filter. Good stuff.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is the difference between the SRT and the regular Mopar filter? I am ready to buy some 5w30 Redline and I want a good filter. I know allot of guys like the RP filter but just curious to the SRT filter.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would hesitate to use the SRT filter. Reason being, as I understand, mopar oil filter production are done by jobbers who submit the lowest bid. IMHO, this has to affect quality control. You could most likely use this filter repeated and never have an issue, but why chance it when there are proven reliable top shelf filters. Just my opinion.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would hesitate to use the SRT filter. Reason being, as I understand, mopar oil filter production are done by jobbers who submit the lowest bid. IMHO, this has to affect quality control. You could most likely use this filter repeated and never have an issue, but why chance it when there are proven reliable top shelf filters. Just my opinion.
Seems to me the oil pump puts out enough that it could overpower the bypass valve in filters not designed for it. I see my cold engine oil pressure at over 60 psi, so I wonder what the cheap non srt stock filter is doing on my 5.7.

If the srt filter can prevent the bypass somehow, or at least provide a little extra filtration at high pressures (due to being designed for it) maybe it really is a better filter for us.

I have a few RP filters ready to go but the srt filter sounds interesting at least.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I guess i will be the one to try it. i bought the filter today. and will see in a few weeks if it will if a 2018 or not.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am approaching 25K miles and have run the SRT filter on my 6.4 all the way.

Thats great! dealer had me worried it would not fit. and could not find any info that it would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have been running this filter for over a month now. I am running PUP 0-40 oil. My idle oil pressure when warm is 40psi. At cruising 53 psi. At cold start 63 psi. My motor has also quieted some with this combo. Also the MDS kicks in more and stays on longer now.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Sooo, it sounds like the filter will fit our 2500 6.4 engines. May see improved oil pressure at cold start and operating temp. Uses a full synthetic medium. We should consider this as one of the tier 1 filter choices. i.e. RP
Burla, your thoughts.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^ are you sure it is synthetic media? I do not know, so I would like to see the link or info on that.
When you have the time, could you scroll down to page 2 and look at my post. Interested in your thought.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Before I buy an oil filter, I need to see something like this to earn my business. I am definitely not one to buy something based on hype or a name. I want to know what I am buying past just a name, do you have something like this for me to look at? Nearly every oil filter has one of these of some sort, I don't know where the srt page is.

Filter_qualties.jpg

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Before I buy an oil filter, I need to see something like this to earn my business. I am definitely not one to buy something based on hype or a name. I want to know what I am buying past just a name, do you have something like this for me to look at? Nearly every oil filter has one of these of some sort, I don't know where the srt page is.

Filter_qualties.jpg
Before I ordered mine I watched a couple you tube videos of guus comparing and opening them up. There is a pic on the box of the filter to.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6

Filter_qualties.jpg
It is on this thread page 1. See tjf post.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have been running this filter for over a month now. I am running PUP 0-40 oil. My idle oil pressure when warm is 40psi. At cruising 53 psi. At cold start 63 psi. My motor has also quieted some with this combo. Also the MDS kicks in more and stays on longer now.

This is what im going to do also. pup 0-40 is what my 6.4 should have. i dont over think oil. i just find a set up and stick with it. i do need to find a source for the filters tho. dealer got me for 25.00 for one.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The only thing I see is the carton and it doesn't show wire mesh backing. To be spun microglass it needs mesh backed media. Maybe it is there, but it doesn't state that it is there. I would use one and cut it open and see for myself, also by cutting it open you can see if the media is still pliable. A 6 month run would be good. What do these cost?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
The only thing I see is the carton and it doesn't show wire mesh backing. To be spun microglass it needs mesh backed media. Maybe it is there, but it doesn't state that it is there. I would use one and cut it open and see for myself, also by cutting it open you can see if the media is still pliable. A 6 month run would be good. What do these cost?
Thanks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I will say fitz I tend to loose interest when I find something that is as good as it gets and time tested, so I really don't over think it. A lot of us had a theory on those RP filters that they were top quality, and then the GM test came out and that was all she wrote. The time testedness of them just add to the love for them on the forum. That is why so many of us been high on those filters now for many years. If SRT is synthetic, and a lot of the info suggests they are, then they would likely be equally as good as RP's.

Now, from day one I like the RP over wix, the media is just thicker, we have a lot of info on that with photo's. The wix is tighter, but the RP is looser and much thicker. The bummer of the situation is that the gm test didn't test wix xp, huge disappointment. There is some info that the SRT's are made by wix, I think I've seen that.

Which means they are top tier great product, however I likely would like the RP better if the media is thicker. Only one real way to tell, cut two ****** filters and compare. There is nothing in it for me, I am very comfortable with the RP filters, I bought a case that will last the life of my truck. It is very likely the STR if it's synthetic and made by wix is very close to RP. It may be like the who is the best QB argument Joe or Brady? Both great so what difference does it make?

One thing I would do as I always do, cut open my filter at the end of a run. If the media is still pliable, it will likely be brady good to joe. Since you run Amsoil, I don't know why you just don't use their ea filter, that is as good as RP as well. Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack the SRT filter thread, but the point is they are likely good as anything!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We need someone to cut open a srt filter after a long run, we still do not have that confirmation on this forum. Maybe that is at bob's, I dunno.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think I paid around $10.00 on Amazon.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually I just checked. It was $13 on Amazon. I got 7 quarts of PUP 0-40 on there as well. I see that Pennzoil makes their own filter now. How good are they? Does anyone know?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I will say fitz I tend to loose interest when I find something that is as good as it gets and time tested, so I really don't over think it. A lot of us had a theory on those RP filters that they were top quality, and then the GM test came out and that was all she wrote. The time testedness of them just add to the love for them on the forum. That is why so many of us been high on those filters now for many years. If SRT is synthetic, and a lot of the info suggests they are, then they would likely be equally as good as RP's.

Now, from day one I like the RP over wix, the media is just thicker, we have a lot of info on that with photo's. The wix is tighter, but the RP is looser and much thicker. The bummer of the situation is that the gm test didn't test wix xp, huge disappointment. There is some info that the SRT's are made by wix, I think I've seen that.

Which means they are top tier great product, however I likely would like the RP better if the media is thicker. Only one real way to tell, cut two ****** filters and compare. There is nothing in it for me, I am very comfortable with the RP filters, I bought a case that will last the life of my truck. It is very likely the STR if it's synthetic and made by wix is very close to RP. It may be like the who is the best QB argument Joe or Brady? Both great so what difference does it make?

One thing I would do as I always do, cut open my filter at the end of a run. If the media is still pliable, it will likely be brady good to joe. Since you run Amsoil, I don't know why you just don't use their ea filter, that is as good as RP as well. Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack the SRT filter thread, but the point is they are likely good as anything!
Got it. Right now have 2 tier 1 choices RP and Amsoil. This may give me a third. But your right. How many choices do we need. Like your posts, just wanted your take.