Stainless Works Longtube headers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There will be some rambling in this first post.

I previously had JBA Shorty headers installed, and got a screaming deal on the Group buy so I purchased these headers.

Due to my late start in the day, and doing a driveway install I didn't wrap up the install today.

I started by undoing the o2 sensors (4), then removing the factory Y pipe.

Next I tackled the passenger side as it is the easiest, removal of the JBA headers went smoothly and install of the SW headers went into place without a problem.

I was starting to lose daylight so I tackled the driver side JBA header removal next, after a lot of swearing and almost 1 hour on one bolt I finally got the header out. But stopped because I was cold, and had no more light. I will complete the install tomorrow.

One thing to Note: If you have air ride suspension like I do, the air line (nitrogen) will physically touch and run beside the headers, so I had to cut the plastic clips and zip tie it to a new location on the passenger side, Im sure I will have issues on the driver side also
IMG_20140216_104935.jpg

Reasons for my late start today:
1. had to wash my truck
2. lost my locking lug nut key
3. had to go to the dealership to buy a new one
4 discovered paint scratches on my passenger side rambox lid, spaz attack ensued.
5. Text the guys I drive up to work, as they pull their bags out of the box of my truck, so 1 or all of them are guilty for scratching my paint.

hoping to have pictures tomorrow of the finished product.

EDIT:
Well the install is all wrapped up. These headers are definitely louder then the stock or even JBA headers.
With the radio turned down you can definitely hear the exhaust 'tick' on the driver side. I did a quick drive around my neighbourhood, so I didn't really open it up but it's definitely a lot louder under throttle.
I would say there idle is a bit louder but nothing overly extreme.

Now for my my complaint: The o2 extenders, 4 were included... it should have been 7.
The front sensors will not reach the connection, so I had to use an extender on each front o2 sensor.
Now before you say "why didnt you switch the sensors around?", I tried that, unfortunately each sensor can only plug into the connection it came from, as each of the connections are different.
So my rear o2 sensor are in the exhaust, but not plugged in.
Passenger side rear o2 sensor will reach with 2 extenders, driver's side will NOT reach with 2 extenders, it needs 3 (with 2 extenders connected it is still 4-6" short of reaching)

This little shield was in the way on the driver side and had to be removed.
IMG_20140216_113349.jpg

Install went very smooth as far as the piping goes.
It looks like Fedex wasn't too gentle
IMG_20140216_125615.jpg

And here are the pics from under the truck:
IMG_20140216_140058.jpg
IMG_20140216_140032.jpg

Here you can see the clearance of the trans pan on the 8spd
IMG_20140216_140048.jpg
IMG_20140216_140044.jpg

Last edited:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck man. Let us know how they got and perform.

Sent from my Pocket Rocket

RAMWarrior1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wouldn't mind picking up your JBA's from you? Would you be interested in selling?

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
What he said ^^^ if you want to sell your JBA's I would love to buy them!

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
****.... not a fun day at all for you.

Good thing you have family day to work on it as well.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I remember when I did my JBA's the driver's side was a bi%&*
Eagerly waiting to hear about your install.
I am still waiting for my headers to get here from the coaters to do mine.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested to hear what differences you notice between the JBAs and the SW LTs. I've heard shorties are really only good for noise, not performance??

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested to hear what differences you notice between the JBAs and the SW LTs. I've heard shorties are really only good for noise, not performance??

Im anxious to hear the sound difference and power difference.
I definitely felt a difference in the JBAs

****.... not a fun day at all for you.

Good thing you have family day to work on it as well.
I actually go back to work on Monday, so I have to get it wrapped up ASAP

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
thanks for the update.
hopefully they'll send you more/proper extensions.

EDIT:
Maybe the extensions aren't correct since you have a '13.

Andy/Paul- your thoughts?

Last edited:

TexasNav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be standing by to see what they say about these extensions you still need, I have the 2013 with an 8 speed as well. Cant wait to get these installed.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
i prefer long tubes over shortys and lose those clamps weld that stuff in

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the update.
hopefully they'll send you more/proper extensions.

EDIT:
Maybe the extensions aren't correct since you have a '13.

Andy/Paul- your thoughts?

That could be possible.
The front o2 sensors are white and rears are black.
I compared all the ends and each connection had a subtle difference, perhaps that is new for 2013?

Stainless Works Exhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Talon- Good job on your install. We need to send you a few more 02 extensions as we are waiting for the corrected ones (longer) for the 8-speed trans. Send me a PM and we will send em your way to finish up the install correctly.

Paul
Stainless Works

e.

Now for my my complaint: The o2 extenders, 4 were included... it should have been 7.
The front sensors will not reach the connection, so I had to use an extender on each front o2 sensor.
Now before you say "why didnt you switch the sensors around?", I tried that, unfortunately each sensor can only plug into the connection it came from, as each of the connections are different.
So my rear o2 sensor are in the exhaust, but not plugged in.
Passenger side rear o2 sensor will reach with 2 extenders, driver's side will NOT reach with 2 extenders, it needs 3 (with 2 extenders connected it is still 4-6" short of reaching)

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:

So I just drove up to work roughly 450km.
Initial impression on the highway, is there is definitely a lot more get up and go.
Hard to describe, but the throttle response is better and almost feels "freer flowing".

Between 105~106km/h there is a wicked resonance vibration coming from under the truck I will have to crawl under to see if anything is lose. But it only happens at that speed.

Cruising speed on the highway (70mph) is definitely a bit louder then I am used to, reminds me a lot of my old truck.

According to my EVIC I'm already seeing better fuel mileage, but I cant confirm until I fill up on my way back home. (I drive the same route ever shift).

So far everything is coming up Milhouse!

Edit:

After sleeping on it, the resonance/vibration I feel at 105~106km/h might be the exhaust pipe hitting the trans pan.
As you can see in the picture its very close, Id say 1/4"-3/8" (90* and the C shape). Once I get home from my shift (next week) I will wrap that section with some DEI Heat Wrap, and see if that eliminates the problem.
IMG_20140216_140044.jpg

Last edited:

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
very cool! keep us updated on the noise issue, and mileage. also when ya get the new 02 extenders.

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Small update: Just drove back from work. Exhaust is definitely louder then I am used too, If I still had my stock catback I would throw it back on (I must be getting old) but since I dont have that anymore I will have to cruise YouTube and find a quieter Muffler to swap in.

Definitely saw a mileage boost, previous trip to work and back I was at 16.48mpg, today after fill up I was sitting at 18.28mpg. It would have been better except I had a nasty head wind for a good portion of the drive.

Im expecting a nice jump once I put my stock rims/tires back on, and get a HemiFever tune.

Paul from Stainless Works took care of me, and I have some o2 Extenders coming.

Edit: I use an app called 'aCar' to track my mileage.
Also, completely stock my best mileage in the summer was 20.38mpg, hoping to blow that out of the water

Last edited: