Strange, random no start issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has only happened a couple times, and seems totally random. Has happened both while manually starting, and while using factory remote start. I can hear the starter engage, engine start to turn over, then nothing. Sounds like bumping the key in an older vehicle.
However, if I turn the key off, and back to start, it will start just fine. Battery tests fine, and cables and connections look good. Hoping it's not computer related, but any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Muddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, it's been a long day. Forgot to give info on the truck.
It's a 2012, 1500, big horn, 5.7L with 65k miles.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CEL light on? Remote start stats truck but immediately kills it.

From inside with the key...hmm. starter drawing too much weakening battery or weak ground connection somewhere?

Test battery just under hood as it sits or under crank conditions?

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No check engine light.
Remote start does the same as key; Can hear starter engage, then nothing. Haven't been able to test battery when it happens. When I hook up the tester, ant turn key again, it starts. I did have a similar issue with my 87 grand wagoneer, that turned out to be a bad ground cable. But it was happening much more frequently on the keep, and it didn't have anything computer controlled.
While I haven't tested the cables on the ram, they "look" fine.

The starter engages normally, but as soon as the engine starts to rotate, it disengages.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Starter solenoid or relay?
Sounds like an electric cutoff for some reason disengaging starter after failing to satisfy some demand. Reseting ignition resets it.

RAM_cea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interestingly, I am currently having this same issue. I have a 2012 RAM 1500 5.7L (original owner) as well and start last year it's been having random starting issues with both the fob key inside and the factory remote start feature. I took it to the dealer today for this very issue, but they didn't find anything wrong with it. The truck battery tested fine and I've tried with both fobs that came with the truck, no difference. Before taking it to the dealer I changed out the batteries in the fobs as well. The dealer cleaned the contacts of the fob, but I don't think it's going to help since both fobs do the same behavior. I did learn that fob has a built in shut off if you press the buttons too many times, which I know I have done out of frustration with the remote start not responding. But most times when it fails to start, it is first thing in the morning or when leaving work. So it's when pressing the fob for the first time after an extended period of time. Inside with the key start, it will sometimes fail on the first try and then I turn off all of the accessories and aux items, and it'll always start on the 2nd try. The remote start (when it fails) doesn't give any error on the dashboard.

I only found this forum after leaving the dealer, so I didn't get a chance to share this information with them... but I was happy to see someone else experiencing the same symptoms.

There was a software update (for PCM) that they applied under warranty, but the release notes didn't indicate anything specific to this issue. But I told them I'd see how it behaves and if it continues I'll take it back in and see what can be done under warranty. And I'll bring these thread comments as well.

RAM_cea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I should add that as Murphy's Law goes, the first two attempts to test the remote start at the dealer it worked fine for the tech... however, on the 3rd and 4th attempt it did fail and duplicated the behavior. But they were at a loss for what the issue was behind the scenes... other than the fob.