Struggling with my Ram - Shudder under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
lately I have started to feel a shudder when under a load that feels more prevalent when the truck is in OD or 5th. I have a 2009 with 545rfe trans. 196k miles. Trans has been serviced (fluid exchanged and filters replaced) recently.

when I am getting on it from a dead stop or pretty much above 2500 RPM, it feels fine. No power loss, no miss all the way up to 70, but once we get there and we let it dhift on into 5th i start to feel it. she will get and go when you lay into it, but when I am going up the mountain daily around 65mph and 1500-2000 rpm, I feel this shudder. when it downshifts, I dont feel it any longer, but when in 5th and the torque converter locked. i feel it.

No codes in PCM.

any suggestions on where to start? I do konw I am getting clsoe to due on plugs. I put the platinum ones in it about 80K ago.

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you feel it from the front end?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if so it's the front diff and the

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had a torque converter go.. I was exowriencong shudders when light on the pedal too.. But all the way from a dead stop to about 50/60 mph.

Reg. Fluid changes.. Guess my converter was just dying. 98k miles

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I does not feel like it is the front end. the shuttering is not necessarily when light on the pedal but as I get more into it at highway speeds I feel it. then once it jumps and downshifts, I dont feel it.

I just ran two cans of seafoam thru it iwith 32 gallons of fuel. didnt seem to make much difference so I dont believe it is a fuel delivery issue.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Coils can cause a misfire inder load if they are going bad

tuned by Jay Greene

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
on mine when in a higher gear and it's pulling a hill and goes a bit down in rpm the front cv joints will rattle back and forth there loose again just had whole front end rebuilt in Jan but that was 40k miles ago so... yeah I'll take a video this weekend see if it's same sound

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coils can cause a misfire inder load if they are going bad

tuned by Jay Greene

I agree, sounds like a low grade misfire. With the kind of mileage you have if your coils are original I would replace them, this would be a good time to replace the plugs too.

I was under the impression the older coils did not play well with platinum plugs but if you have been running them for 80K with no issues until now that must not be the case for everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree, sounds like a low grade misfire. With the kind of mileage you have if your coils are original I would replace them, this would be a good time to replace the plugs too.

I was under the impression the older coils did not play well with platinum plugs but if you have been running them for 80K with no issues until now that must not be the case for everyone.

I am thinking that is the correct plan of action here. Coils and Plugs. I did replace one Coil about 2 years ago when I actually got a misfire code and could trace it down. it seems just like a deterioration type deal i believe. i will get the coils ordered along with some plugs. May not be able to do them all at once.

recommendation on brands? I am most likely going to buy amazon. as that is easy for me.

Last edited:

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In theory it should but if it misfires some times and not others then it will store a code but not show up on the dash. Ive seen it quite a few times on various vehicles. This may not be the issue here but its a possibility. More times than not when a motor is missing under a load its a firing problem. Being his is an 09 it may handle a cel differently than a newer vehicle and thats why its not showing up but again coils can cause his exact issue but it may be something different it was just a valid suggestion

tuned by Jay Greene

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have also seen a trans shudder under load and to some people it feel and act like a misfire

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the tips all. replaced 16 plugs this weekend. two were loose! that may explain the shuddering. all looked good on the tips except the loosest one. other in same cyl looked fine. I went with double platinum plugs last night thinking the loner lasting abilities were what I wanted. I think that also had alot to do with it. went back to Champion copper plugs this time. Photos belwo were not in order of removal.

so far, on the way to work over the mountain and in all other play tests, I can definitely tell it runs better. felt much better on the way up the hill. acceleration is better too. I ragged on it a bit just after changing to test them out and it felt really good. I did not change the coils at this time.

and the 6" version of this gear wrench socket was a complete lifesaver. Magnetic and plenty of flex.

IMG_20170902_205642.jpg

IMG_20170902_202446.jpg

IMG_20170903_071641.jpg

LUANA NIEUWEHOFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
DODGE RAM 2500 2012
Engine
INTERCÂMBIO DEFECTUOSO
[QUOTE = "pickupman66, post: 1561511, member: 18704"] recentemente, comecei a sentir um estremecimento quando sob uma carga que se sente mais prevalente quando o caminhão está em OD ou 5. Eu tenho um 2009 com 545rfe trans. 196k milhas. O Trans foi reparado (o fluido trocado e os filtros foram substituídos) recentemente.

Quando eu estou entrando nela de uma parada parada ou praticamente acima de 2500 RPM, parece bom. Sem perda de energia, não perca todo o caminho até 70, mas, uma vez que chegamos lá e deixamos que ele se dirija para o 5º, eu começo a sentir isso. ela vai entrar e ir quando você se deitar, mas quando eu estiver subindo a montanha diariamente em torno de 65 mph e 1500-2000 rpm, sinto isso estremecer. Quando ele diminui, eu não sinto mais, mas quando em 5º e o conversor de torque bloqueado. eu sinto.

Nenhum código no PCM.

Alguma sugestão de onde começar? Eu sei que estou conseguindo o clsoe devido às fichas. Eu coloquei os platinados nele há cerca de 80K. [/ QUOTE]

Olá, boa tarde, tenha um Dodge Ram 2500
Ela começou a fazer um soco na mudança de marcha.
Ela se perde quando ela vai dar quinta a sexta STAY indo para frente e para trás
FOI FEITO A REPARAÇÃO
DE INTERCÂMBIO E O DEFECTO PERMANECE PASSA O APARELHO PARA APAGAR AS FALHAS, MAS TÃO VOLTAR

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it ends up coming back and you think it may be transmission shudder, quote this response and I will come back with a couple suggestions that I have personally fixed trans shudder with. If it is fixed, congrats ignore the rest.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you torque the plugs last time you replaced them? Hopefully your threads aren't screwed up.