Suggestions for rusted bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, I tried today to get my stock exhaust off to install my Carven Progressive and struck out. A buddy of mine had my breaker bar and I could only find a short wrench.
Tried with some other tools and couldn't get the leverage needed to break the rusted bolts loose. I sprayed them down good with PB Blaster. I guess I will try again tomorrow with the proper tools.
Other than an impact gun (not looking to buy one right now) or a torch, any other suggestions?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
PB Blaster and patience. You've done one, now let the other work. ;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's wrong with a torch? I got a torch 6 bucks and the gas is 4 bucks. Useful tool right there. You can add something over the breaker bar to elongate it and give more leverage, but you might just break the bolt.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
try tightening it just until it turns just a smidgen, then loosen

can't tell you how many times this has worked for me, especially on Honda cars

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
patients grasshopper.... if that fails, torch it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents.. As mentioned soak several times in PB Blaster, but heat the studs up then spray.. Also with the breaker bar try rocking the bar back and forth to shock the nuts. Tapping the breaker bar with a hammer adds to the shock factor.. NOT beating the crap out of it lol On boilers we heat the studs cherry red and they usually move but not sure if doing that is safe on a motor !!! post progress please

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I let them soak all afternoon, and I will get back to it tomorrow. Will let you know what works in the end. May just cut them off if soaking doesn't work.

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rule of thumb soak with on blaster the day before you plan to work on it.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PB blaster is more of a consumer grade product that wont really net great results. on a professional level we use penetraints like "Drummond Open and Shut. Cannot simply compare consumer grade oils to a product like this

Heres a little video to explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqp4uC-z-Es

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
With some elbow grease the bolts let go today, but now I have a new question. The ground strap was completely rusted out and broke when I took the muffler off. Is this a big deal? Do I need to just wrap a ground wire from the hanger aroma on the muffler to the truck hangar arm? Can't wait to hear it roar.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
With some elbow grease the bolts let go today, but now I have a new question. The ground strap was completely rusted out and broke when I took the muffler off. Is this a big deal? Do I need to just wrap a ground wire from the hanger aroma on the muffler to the truck hangar arm? Can't wait to hear it roar.
Good to hear you got it done :) Time and a few choice words help alot lol.. Pics of your project would be cool ! Thanks

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ratchet, breaker bar, heat, impact, grinder.

That order...unless you go impact from the get go.

I don't recall a ground strap anywhere. But yeah if you want any cable will do.