Sultan of Spark COPs on 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So i'm looking at coil packs and everything i'm reading is showing that the SOS coil pack model 45850 work on our Hemi Engines up to 2012. Is there any reason why these wouldn't work on a 2014 5.7L Hemi? I found a good BF deal on them, but i'm hesitant to pull the trigger since even the Performance Distributors website says 09-12.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
They'll be the same coils from '06 and up. The question I have to ask is why do you think you need these? The stock coil packs are handling hemi engines into the 1400hp range and apart from SoS's claims, none of the LX guys have found any gains from them at the track.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From experience with my dad's Charger with the 5.7L Hemi, we did see a HP increase with the Coil Packs.
For my application, i've been experiencing a little bit of rough idle (more like a gentle swaying than a rough/harsh idle). It's not throwing any codes, and i'd seen in a few places that replacing the COPs can clear this up. If i'm going to replace them to try to fix the idle, then i might as well upgrade them to a hotter charge. The truck has 44K on it. When i got it at 42K i never noticed the idle, but it's more noticeable when sitting in traffic now. That's my thought process, if i'm off base, please let me know.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
When was the last time you checked/changed your plugs? I know the '14s have a long change interval but if your plugs have widened gaps then you could start seeing erattic idle and yes a high voltage coil would fix that but so would regapping/changing your plugs. For me, the only time to swap to a performance coil is with a big boost application where even with a small gap you experience spark blow out or if you want to run a wider gap with nitrous but that's less of an issue with the dual plug setup on the hemi than it is for the single plugs that have flame front speed limitations.

What was the price for the SoS coils?

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
At the autotrucktoys website, they are $315 for the set. Best price I have seen.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think i'd try the MSD's before i looked at an OE coil that had a sticker crudely taped to it...at least i know they at LEAST molded a red case.lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They'll be the same coils from '06 and up. The question I have to ask is why do you think you need these? The stock coil packs are handling hemi engines into the 1400hp range and apart from SoS's claims, none of the LX guys have found any gains from them at the track.[/QUOTE

Coil packs changed in 2013 Kurtis,they have more windings to accommodate the iridium plugs.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Coil packs changed in 2013 Kurtis,they have more windings to accommodate the iridium plugs.

I was specifically talking about the SoS coils, which is what the OP asked about; they have more windings than either of the factory coils and will work for everything '06 and up that has the dual tower coils.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was specifically talking about the SoS coils, which is what the OP asked about; they have more windings than either of the factory coils and will work for everything '06 and up that has the dual tower coils.

The new oem coil packs apparently have more windings then any of the aftermarket coils,that includes the SOS or MSD coils. That's the reason I was given that aftermarket coils aren't recommended for anything newer than 2012 when I was looking into them a few months back

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wild one, thanks for the info. That probably plays into why my dad saw hp gains with his '11 Charger.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The new oem coil packs apparently have more windings then any of the aftermarket coils,that includes the SOS or MSD coils. That's the reason I was given that aftermarket coils aren't recommended for anything newer than 2012 when I was looking into them a few months back

That's different than what Dave told me when he and I were talking about my intake manifold when I went to order the OCP one. He told me that if the '13+ coils I had ordered were still having the same issue to try SOS or GMS coils and I could widen the plug gap a bit and get better start/idle or keep the gap the same and not have spark blow out issues at max boost. There's just a big difference between $140 worth of coils vs $656 for the GMS ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's different than what Dave told me when he and I were talking about my intake manifold when I went to order the OCP one. He told me that if the '13+ coils I had ordered were still having the same issue to try SOS or GMS coils and I could widen the plug gap a bit and get better start/idle or keep the gap the same and not have spark blow out issues at max boost. There's just a big difference between $140 worth of coils vs $656 for the GMS ones.

That's not what Davis Unified told me when I was talking to them about their coils. If you were talking to Dave about your 09,yes you'll gain with an aftermarket set-up,but according to Davis on the 13's and up,your not going to see a gain with their coils over above the newer higher output coils,the op has a 14,he's got the good coils in comparision to your 09's original coils.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Rick, I'm going to go with what Dave from Modern Muscle told me since he's been a whole lot of help with this build already. The coils I just installed are the later hemi coils and if that high rpm stutter is still around after that then I'm switching to the GMS coils.