Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvc357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, it is a performance issue, and it's not related to lowering so im trying it here.
On the jointed concrete highways of Colorado,...
At any speeds over 80mph i get a LOT of wheel hop.
Has anyone had any positive experience with STOCK height aftermarket suspension that might help handling and hop?

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
wheel hop as in bad roads or as in losing traction? need more info. might need to check the torque specs on your upper and lower control arms in the rear. if they are loose they will cause this issue as the bolt will slip inside the joint and cause a hop. that or your shocks/wheels need to be checked. without more info i cannot help

Randon User

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Their speed limits are as high as 75mph. 80+ doesn't seem bad to me, more like flowing with traffic. Some speed limits in west Texas are 85mph with a ton of places with 80mph limits.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it is a performance issue, and it's not related to lowering so im trying it here.
On the jointed concrete highways of Colorado,...
At any speeds over 80mph i get a LOT of wheel hop.
Has anyone had any positive experience with STOCK height aftermarket suspension that might help handling and hop?

I realize you said STOCK, but I reduced my sloppy rearend issues with a Ground Force rear 2" drop kit, on both of my Rams.
Otherwise, does your truck have a rear swaybar??

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Good advice! ^^^^

OP
OP
D

dvc357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Gents
According to the dealer everything is good in the suspension.
When saying wheel hop, i mean bounce like a bad road. Like going down a hardpacked dirt road cut with a front loader.
When i go down a blacktop road, there is no issue. Certainly, it is reacting to the concrete joints. But, that reaction seems extreme.
I might consider a sway bar kit as well, since there is also more body roll then i feel is reasonable.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Moe's has Hellwig sways, I have them on my truck. It's night and day.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So obviously the Hellwig is for those with no rear sway bar, but does it also replace the stock rear?? By that I mean will it make that big of a difference over a stock rear bar to justify the price?? Is it noticeably that much better??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have you even just upgraded your shocks? Sounds like air bags may help as well, and get heavy duty springs. I usually advice to beef up everything, tracbars, sway bars, solid axle with added travel, but in your case I think shocks and air bags is probably all you need.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So obviously the Hellwig is for those with no rear sway bar, but does it also replace the stock rear?? By that I mean will it make that big of a difference over a stock rear bar to justify the price?? Is it noticeably that much better??

Yes it replaces the stock rear (or front). I can't speak for the difference from the stock rear, because I didn't have one...

The rear has 3 adjustments from moderate to aggressive.

I can say that swapping the stock front to the Hellwig front is very noticeable. Tighter, more controlled cornering.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
The Laramie trims in Crew come stick with a thicker rear sway than other trims. Some trims come without but didn't pay attention to which. I want to upgrade but notice the Hellwig was same diameter as stock on care Laramie. The only difference I'm thinking could come from stiffer rubber bushing, not the bar. The bar may be adjustable though to allow more stiffness, can't remember. Didn't get the Addco diameter. I hread many other posts that said the front bar is already really thick at 1 and 3/8th inches, but you could benefit my stiffer bushings in front.

Don't thing sways will control wheel hop, only lessen body roll when turning. I get a little minor hop at high speed.