Swapping differential ??? What's the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats the best diff?? I currently have 321 gears.... I pull some heavy loads occasionally but want something in the middle thats good for pulling. and takeoff without slaughtering mileage ... Any help? Also how hard of a job is it ?? Any idea how much I'd be looking at spending to swap ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whats the best diff?? I currently have 321 gears.... I pull some heavy loads occasionally but want something in the middle thats good for pulling. and takeoff without slaughtering mileage ... Any help? Also how hard of a job is it ?? Any idea how much I'd be looking at spending to swap ?

This is the for sale section Sir .....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the time being, it really depends on what's available on the aftermarket and how deep your pockets are.

I've seen 3:55 and 3:92 and 4:10s mentioned here numerous times. No word on a 3:73 whatsoever. Most seem content with the 3:92s for what you say you want to do with your truck.

Now if you're just looking for ring gears (i.e. the ratios mentioned above) I'm sure there's a multitude of manufacturers out there: Auburn, MOPAR, Detroit Locker, etc.

As for getting a hold of a locking differential, for the rear MOPAR seems to be a winner here as it's "genuine parts" and you retain your warranty. As for the front, I haven't really seen much in regards to a locker.

I know that doesn't answer all or most of your questions, but this is what I've found so far. I'm sure the towing, hyper-miling, and off roaders here will chime in soon.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the time being, it really depends on what's available on the aftermarket and how deep your pockets are.

I've seen 3:55 and 3:92 and 4:10s mentioned here numerous times. No word on a 3:73 whatsoever. Most seem content with the 3:92s for what you say you want to do with your truck.

Now if you're just looking for ring gears (i.e. the ratios mentioned above) I'm sure there's a multitude of manufacturers out there: Auburn, MOPAR, Detroit Locker, etc.

As for getting a hold of a locking differential, for the rear MOPAR seems to be a winner here as it's "genuine parts" and you retain your warranty. As for the front, I haven't really seen much in regards to a locker.

I know that doesn't answer all or most of your questions, but this is what I've found so far. I'm sure the towing, hyper-miling, and off roaders here will chime in soon.

Thanks for the insight!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would go 3:92s, best all around gear.

Going from 3:21s to 3:55s would be a fine jump but imo if I am going through the trouble might as well step right in and do it right.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if your running 4x4, you have to do front an rear. if you are going to do a gear swap, take a look a yukon.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if your running 4x4, you have to do front an rear. if you are going to do a gear swap, take a look a yukon.

Yea the front is crazy expensive ... Pretty much the whole front end needs to be replaced the way it's designed... 2000$ plus labor on the front alone . As for the rear its only $500 for the parts. Guess thats a no go for me lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock