Switching oil ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buster1652

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn
Engine
I love my Longhorn 5.7 hemi and I am finding it very difficult to find the pup 5w-20.

Soooo I know the owners manual stated that the 5w-30 can be used for a substitute.

Would there be any cons to switching to the pup 5w-30 on a permanent basis?
along with the 10-48 RP filter.....Thanks in advance.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, and you'll find most guys in the Synthetic Oil thread run 5W-30 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
No cons I can see with 5w30 , better oil alot of times with better protection.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Buster: there are many owners that you will never hear about or see that have switched to a 0W-30 or 5W-30 weight with zero issues.

No matter what anybody thinks or says there is nothing internally within the 5.7L (mechanically) that has the sensitivity or the knowledge that can physically tell the difference in the oils viscosity----> between the 5W-20 or 0W-20 compared to 0W-30 or 5W-30.
My 5.7L operates @ all temps extremely smooth & quite with 0W-40 within the crankcase.

I'm sure there will still be a few that are thinking the MDS system can do that.
This has been proven over and over and over it does not have that capability. Now some have rumbled that this system functions & is sensitive to Oil PSI. Maybe? Maybe Not! I never noticed any difference in psi between 0W-20/5W-20 in reference to PUP 5W-30.
Now with the SRT 0W-40 oil psi is a bit higher at all temps.

It is a very interesting word association game between recommend and require.
(Recommend) is a very easy word just to throw out there and use.
(Require) has a whole Nother cabinet of goodies that comes along behind it. You do not see this word just tossed out there within the lubrication industry.

My owners manual states basically the same thing if a 5W-20 is not available or cannot be found a 5W-30 can be used.

SyN Disclaimer: These are only my personal experiences & opinions. I have experienced Zero issues or strange bumps in the night!
I'm in No way shape or form looking or asking for anyone's approval or negative attitude due to I don't use what YOU use or do as YOU do!

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I ordered PUP 5w20 from WalMart online and it was at my door in 2 days free freight.

OP
OP
B

buster1652

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn
Engine
I ordered PUP 5w20 from WalMart online and it was at my door in 2 days free freight.

I was lucky and was able to complete an order from WM a while back. Now WM shows the PUP 5w-20 as no longer available instead of out of stock.....I wonder whats up with that status?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
You want to get serious about oil? No one on this forum is qualified to give you oil advice but I found some testing data on 203 oils by a mechanical engineer. 203 oils tested and the list keeps growing, he has a questions and answers section were you can ask a qualified professional directly. its a gold mine of info.
Check out the link and enjoy my friend:favorites13:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Obviously he was asking the forum members for there opinions or advise on the subject, I am sure he knows the members of this forum are not scientist or oil chemist.

Your repeated " No one on this forum is qualified to give you oil advise" is alittle ass to say the least.
:favorites13: