Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed .....

Well my choice is simple ....wait for it ...wait for it ..... Ha ha. It's obviously

REDLINE 5 or 10W -30 for the 5.7L Hemi [emoji44][emoji44][emoji44] shocker I know !!!!

Since Smiley said you can have more than one choice in the Op I'll say this ...:::

2nd would be PUP 5W-30 mixed with PUP 0W-40 @ a 50/50 ratio for the added Molybdenum [emoji16]

Third , well not really 3rd , but more like a 2a. Would most definitely be the OLD SS FORMULA of Scamsoil in the 5W -30 or 40 wt , as it WAS ...WAS. a good 2nd choice not sure anymore ..time will tell
** Do not run this for 25k like Scamsoil says or you may regret it ...

A solid 3rd for me would be QSUD

4th would be Schaffers

All of the above (for me ) would be ran with an RP10-48 OR an RP 20-820 FILTER

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL !!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fbeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
So as the title states I thought it would be nice to have an updated synthetic motor oil poll here on Ramforum.

Amsoil XL or Signature Series
Castrol Edge or GTX Magnatec
Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Advanced
Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum
Redline
Royal Purple
Schaeffer's
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Valvoline Synpower
Walmart Supertech

Especially, if OTHER put it in the comments as only 10 choices are allowed.

I also made it so choices are public and more than one is allowed so people can see what others use specifically.

If you are using tapa-talk then load as webpage to vote in the poll!

Pennzoil 0W40

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I run 5W-30. With MDS disable I have been wondering if I can run a better weight.

That's great, my wife's car is butter smooth on PUP 5w30 as well. Yes, if I was you I would run 0w40 PUP, it belongs to a class of special oils. Castrol, M1, PUP all use 0w40 for their best effort because that oil is not hamstrung by api rules for additives. They are thin for weight (good feature for 40 weight), and have robust additive packages. PUP 0w40 is a super oil, in the top 5 for the best oil made imo, maybe even in top 2. A couple guys run PUP 0w40 with the 5.7 and mds still on with no issues. RLK just did a uoa, shoot him a pm or ask him outright. The uoa had the viscosity lower then some 30 weights. It is a great oil, chaulked full of moly and zddp.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have no desire to participate in the type of garbage that is going on in the other synthetic oil thread. Everyone has an opinion and that is all I am looking for, not people trying to stir the pot. Sorry, but we are supposed to be adults and I have seen a lot of child like behavior. So, with that said....

We own a 2015 Town and Country with 24000 miles and a 2017 Ram with 1890 miles. The van has run on Valvoline Synpower 5w20 since purchase. No issues of any kind and the wife loves it. Valvoline Synpower is being used out of convenience, get the oil changed about a half mile from the house. Not to worried about this van because we will upgrade the wife to the Pacifica in a few years.

Until it was totaled, I drove a 2010 Kia Rio, Yep, a Kia rio. Ran Amsoil SS 5w20 for the almost eight years I drove it. I beat the crap out of that car and only changed the oil. Never an issue of any kind, well until my son totaled it.

Bought the Ram with the 5.7 HEMI a little over a month ago. Been driving it a lot lately because I love it. Once the new wears off, I will drive my government take home car Monday through Friday and mileage on the truck will calm down.

I am hoping to keep this truck for a long time. Yes, I have used and like Amsoil. I do NOT care what anyone thinks of that fact. I am not a fanboy of any particular oil. I just want to take good care of my RAM.

I do not want to spend more than $30.00 for a 5 quart jug of synthetic oil and will probably use the RP or Fram high end filters. I will use 5W20, I will not mix and have no desire to use additives.

What oil should I use and why? I do not have the tick, at least not yet lol. What ever oil I decide on will be used in the van and truck and the car my son has to buy in the next couple months.

Thanks, Rob

Years ago on another ram forum, Valvoline syn was the oil of choice to quite the hemi tick.didnt eliminate the tick but many reported it was greatly reduced.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
:happy107:

Attachments

• IMG_20151219_112135466_HDR_zps01hoasm6.jpg
    IMG_20151219_112135466_HDR_zps01hoasm6.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 366

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you want me to mix Unicorn blood with Unicorn pee?

What store? What location?
On the contrary , it would be more accurately stated as follows :

PUP 5W-30 = Unicorn tears
PUP 0W-40 = Unicorn blood

[emoji44][emoji44][emoji41]

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the contrary , it would be more accurately stated as follows :

PUP 5W-30 = Unicorn tears
PUP 0W-40 = Unicorn blood

[emoji44][emoji44][emoji41]

I stand corrected lol

But in all seriousness....I still cant believe Shell/Pennzoil has such issues stocking these products. I know Chrysler specs basically all Shell/Pennzoil products, but their inventory issues **** me off enough Id just go use a non-Shell/Pennzoil product that DOESNT have the Chrysler spec just out of principle.

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So which oil is best for 90% in town driving with short trips and to get rid of the Hemi tick/noise? I only drive my truck about 4-4500 miles a year, and I was looking to swap to full synthetic on my 2011 5.7 HEMI.

PUP 0-40w seems like a fan choice, but does it work at the quieting of the Hemi Tick as well?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ Redline 5w30 and a royal purple filter would be the best choice for hemi tick. It has stuff no other oil has to keep an oil film between metal surfaces, high moly and esters among other good voodoo.

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ Redline 5w30 and a royal purple filter would be the best choice for hemi tick. It has stuff no other oil has to keep an oil film between metal surfaces, high moly and esters among other good voodoo.

Do you have a specific filter or just whatever comes up in the application search for my truck?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a specific filter or just whatever comes up in the application search for my truck?
There are two Royal Purple filters you can use the RP10-48 and the RP 20-820 .
I believe the RP20-820 is the one recommend for your 2011 truck only because you do not have electronic steering actuator.
You can use either one with confidence though .
The 10-48 is smaller than the 20-820 filter just so you know .

And I'd like to second the Redline 5W-30 oil with the RP Filter as well .

If you choose to run the Redline oil , give it 750 miles to quiet your tick ....some have it work in much less time , some it takes a bit longer ..
Good luck & welcome to the thread !
And for Christ sake beat Georgia & Alabygodbama would ya !!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji16][emoji16]

Last edited:

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are two Royal Purple filters you can use the RP10-48 and the RP 20-820 .
I believe the RP20-820 is the one recommend for your 2011 truck only because you do not have electronic steering actuator.
You can use either one with confidence though .
The 10-48 is smaller than the 20-820 filter just so you know .

And I'd like to second the Redline 5W-30 oil with the RP Filter as well .

If you choose to run the Redline oil , give it 750 miles to quiet your tick ....some have it work in much less time , some it takes a bit longer ..
Good luck & welcome to the thread !
And for Christ sake beat Georgia & Alabygodbama would ya !!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji16][emoji16]

I greatly appreciate the information and I will look at where to buy these from now. Do you work for Redline BTW?

Trust me I pray that we beat them both, because that would turn the NCAA upside down.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha no I do not work for Redline , I just believe it's a fantastic oil , especially for the Hemi .

Go Hogs ! We suck pretty bad this year , so for now it's Go Auburn for me !!

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha ha no I do not work for Redline , I just believe it's a fantastic oil , especially for the Hemi .

Go Hogs ! We suck pretty bad this year , so for now it's Go Auburn for me !!

Redline seems to be the choice so that's what I am going to go with. Is there anywhere specific to buy it at and I need 7 QTs correct?