Synthetic or not? New truck, I wanna start right.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a bad idea. Except the second time I would only need 4 more quarts, not 5. :)

By the way, if anyone is interested, O'reilly's sent me a link to a list of oils that meet the chrysler standard in case you are looking for one. Actually a list of almost all oils and what specs they meet. They also pointed out to me that their store brand conventional does not meet that standard.

http://www.noln.net/sites/default/files/images/downloads/specialty motor oil guide.pdf

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes I get that there is a bit extra but my point is you have enough to do second change by sharing one of the five quarts you initially buy. You end up buying 15 quarts and using 14 then you can use that 1 qt later on another change and or add if you like to push the oil to the limits and some disappears through blowby. It is much cheaper than paying 25 for 5 then paying over 7.50 a quart for those extra two in quart bottles.

$miley

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where i live the difference in price between Conventional Vs Synthetic is 20 -40$ per oil change (depending on the oil). To me that is well worth the money. I also do my own changes so that off sets alot of the added cost.

I can not find any reason ( Besides money ) why someone would want to use conventional in a brand new modern engine. The difference in reduced friction alone is reason to go synthetic. Less friction = less heat which of course is less wear on the engine. Not to mention detergents, dispersants, antioxidants, friction modifiers and anti-wear additives. It is controlled chemistry at its finest. In addition, synthetics resist viscosity changes at extremely high temperatures that can break down or evaporate molecules in conventional oil.

As stated, it is all about choice. For me the choice was simple. My truck almost cost me 50k i wasn't about to put a inferior product in the engine just to save 200$ or less a year. It is an important choice though. Oil is the most important thing you choose to maintain your engine. Whatever decision one makes they just have to be happy about it.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Razaa- I hear ya, brother. The price delta between dino & syn oil is much larger up here; I can't believe anyone sweats the difference in the US where the delta is quite small. My Amsoil dealer fee is more than offset just in what I save in orders every year for our 2 vehicles- anything else ordered is gravy. Food for thought.

Audioslave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you live in really really cold temps it is a good idea to use synthetic. I watched a video once on regular oil in the frigid cold and you would not believe what it looked like.. Just big clumps... my 2c anyway

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Synthetic or not I would use a magnetic oil pan heater if it got cold enough to warrant it.

OP
OP
thunderjaw

thunderjaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks so much for all help everyone! This has been very useful for me.

I have decided, I will go with Mobile 1 for my first change, because it is API certified, and it's not a full synthetic base, which I now understand may be actually good for the first few changes, (as a break in).

And while I wait for the second change, I will do some research and decide which group 4-5 I will be switching to.

Thanks again for all your help!

I love my new truck, and I love this forum. :evillol: