Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Couple things about my situation going up the Ike to keep in mind. 1 it was 63* outside and my oil temp still hit 255*. In one spot I had it to the floor in 1st gear and that's when it hit that temp. She didn't like the 9000+ft altitude at all. 2 I have a 190* tstat which in theory should be helping with oil temps to a degree. I have never seen my truck struggle like that before, even pulling 2 tons of stone in my father's dump trailer.

Also keep in mind I'm running a Jay Greene 89 tow tune which he has the electric fan come on way sooner than normal among other tweaks.

Either way I'm very pleased with how my trans did on the Ike. The Ike is no joke that's for sure.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Here’s my lesson learned. The eager beaver I am that always wants to put in my favorite synthetic fluid‘s anywhere I can as soon as i can should have waited until warranty was up before I fill the trans with Redline.

Lesson learned,

But honestly the only thing I hurt was my wallet and now I know for a fact that my trans will run cooler on redline then it does Mopar ATF +4. The safe route would’ve probably been to install my deep pan as I wanted and continue doing flushes with off-the-shelf ATF +4 until warranty was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Couple things about my situation going up the Ike to keep in mind. 1 it was 63* outside and my oil temp still hit 255*. In one spot I had it to the floor in 1st gear and that's when it hit that temp. She didn't like the 9000+ft altitude at all. 2 I have a 190* tstat which in theory should be helping with oil temps to a degree. I have never seen my truck struggle like that before, even pulling 2 tons of stone in my father's dump trailer.

Also keep in mind I'm running a Jay Greene 89 tow tune which he has the electric fan come on way sooner than normal among other tweaks.

Either way I'm very pleased with how my trans did on the Ike. The Ike is no joke that's for sure.

Now you can say been there done that. Glad it worked for ya, I'm sure the truck would have acted better without that trailer behind it. But yeah I know 3 of us that really wished we would have got 3.92's. Did you shoot the diffs? Or just glad to be over it. Damn floored in 1 gear, and they call that a highway.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check out the youtubes on the IKE Gauntlet, funny a bunch of trucks on the side of the road spewing coolant, last one I seen was an F250. I think your truck did pretty corey, not to mention a driver smart enough to follow his temps.

3 3500's Chevy took top spot, Ram, then Ford. Even though Ram and Ford have better engines IMP they can't compete with the allison.

The average gas mileage on all 3 trucks going up the IKE was LESS then 3 mpg, all of them.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now you can say been there done that. Glad it worked for ya, I'm sure the truck would have acted better without that trailer behind it. But yeah I know 3 of us that really wished we would have got 3.92's. Did you shoot the diffs? Or just glad to be over it. Damn floored in 1 gear, and they call that a highway.
Oh yeah it definitely because it was loaded up and towing the camper. I wasn't alone either, there were several trucks behind me with trailers that were going 30 like me. Plus all the semi's that were going slow as well. As the rest of the cars went by you could tell they were wound up pretty high just going up the mountain. Crazy.

Yeah I think the 3.92s would've given me the extra boost I needed. Thank God I don't have the 3.21s....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
But it is reported that with the 8 speed it's not bad

8 speed with 3.21's > 6 speed with 3.55's

Now mind you I am talking generalities, I don't know how it would have been up the IKE.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
WTF....?

Ram 1500 have a 3.21 option....? What dumb **** decided that would be ok.

There not bad with the 8sp and stock height tires my truck has them and would light the tires up at will.
But yeah 3:92s should just be the only option.

I seen a chart that shown the 8sp and 3:21s actually compare to the 6sp and 3:92s, I had the chart untill I trashed my phone a few weeks back.

Seen a vid on the new HD with 8sp or what ever it is and the truck had 4:10s and the ******* from FCA stated it really needed 3:42s . its a freaken HD NO it does not need 3:42 gears to go do work with.
Its like the guys that design these trucks have no idea what a truck is really for......

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well,
Tomorrow my truck goes in for the cruse control recall and solenoid pack recall in the 66RFE trans. So all the time and money I spent doing 3 fluid changes in my trans to achieve as close to 100% Redline C+ went to waste. Im under warranty still and they wont put redline back in it for me. They do not know that is what is in there right now so im safe on that account.

At leas the fluid change will only lose about 50% of the redline so i will only have to do 2 more changes to get back to were i am now.

This blows.

Plus side of the situation.... when i get the truck back my new un-locked PCM and diablo intune i3 programer are going in followed by a 4.88 gear swap.

Just hook a hose to the cooler line drain it. Then pull the pan and drain that and then refill and drain from the return line until you see color change. Wouldn’t that get you 98% swap? I am going to do this on my new rig soon and I think it will work well. You will probably have to put the tranny in gear to get it to shoot it out the line though.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Just hook a hose to the cooler line drain it. Then pull the pan and drain that and then refill and drain from the return line until you see color change. Wouldn’t that get you 98% swap? I am going to do this on my new rig soon and I think it will work well. You will probably have to put the tranny in gear to get it to shoot it out the line though.
I did this on my GMC 2500 and just turning on the vehicle the tranny fluid was flowing. I did run through the gears on the refill; did one gallon at a time. Fill one gallon then shut off truck, refill 4 quarts, repeat 3 times. Worked perfect.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
pretty sure it was Obama

But it is reported that with the 8 speed it's not bad

8 speed with 3.21's > 6 speed with 3.55's

Now mind you I am talking generalities, I don't know how it would have been up the IKE.
This. The 3.21s on an 8 speed are pretty decent. It's that low 4.71 1st gear in the 8speed compared to the 3.00 first gear in the 65RFE...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I feel it is a mixed bag because I don't like the idea of the operating temps, but so far it has been a great transmission. I think it would even be better if you can deactivate the lines that heat it up.

What bothers me is they force this on us instead of making it an option. Ok for people that want heated up tranny oil, push a button. For people that don't want heated up transmission fluid, dont hit a button. everything is a damn mandate

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is why I am so impressed with the longevity of the atf in the 6 speed, my average temp is 136. I don't prefer the shift points, but they are doing something right.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel it is a mixed bag because I don't like the idea of the operating temps, but so far it has been a great transmission. I think it would even be better if you can deactivate the lines that heat it up.

What bothers me is they force this on us instead of making it an option. Ok for people that want heated up tranny oil, push a button. For people that don't want heated up transmission fluid, dont hit a button. everything is a damn mandate

Actually what bothers me most is that, technically, you could have a hot engine causing a hot transmission or vice versa.

Ive watched the water temp, trans temp and oil temp on my truck since I got it. Regularly see where the active shutters arent open yet when the coolant will get to 215, the trans will get to 190 and oil is at 215 or so. I can live with the coolant and oil temp, but hate to see the trans temp that high. Then the shutters must open because the coolant drops to 200-205 then the trans starts to come down to 185 or so.

It wont take much to go wrong with their precious setup before it wipes things out. Which makes me think of the owner that got their 8 speed up to 271 and RAM said its fine since it didnt trigger a CEL.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is why I am so impressed with the longevity of the atf in the 6 speed, my average temp is 136. I don't prefer the shift points, but they are doing something right.

My 09 had a lot of towing miles and still worked perfect at 157k the Ram transmissions do very well when cooled properly. The 4th gens did that part well from the jump.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Poking around BITOG, I was looking for a recommended 5W-20 (for winter use if I dont let the dealer touch my truck).

After some reading I ended up looking at Mobil 1 EP *0W-20*. Reason being, the MSDS shows 60-70% PAO content. The other viscosities show far less (<10%).

Has anyone used it in their Hemis yet?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have found out just visiting with others once you start adding huge wheels and tires, lift kits, programmers, tuners (adding extra power) adds so much extra stress on the transmissions. Then they attempt to tow heavy loads with all the above added. Just a recipe for disaster.

These transmissions were NOT designed to handle any extra stress or horsepower especially the (overdrive).

The Secrets that I’ve kind of come up with is keeping everything as close to stock as possible along with doing very diligent routine maintenance of the transmission itself.
Fresh ATF quite often is a major plus. (Drive like a damn civilized human being).

This info was not for the 8sp only the FCA 6 speeds.

SyN disclaimer: this is only the information that I’ve gathered myself on the longevity of the 6 speed.

Of course adding a deep aluminum transmission pan as well as running very good quality robust ATF is a huge plus as well.
We all know keeping those transmission temperature 170 & below is vital.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Poking around BITOG, I was looking for a recommended 5W-20 (for winter use if I dont let the dealer touch my truck).

After some reading I ended up looking at Mobil 1 EP *0W-20*. Reason being, the MSDS shows 60-70% PAO content. The other viscosities show far less (<10%).

Has anyone used it in their Hemis yet?

Can you post that pao content?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7