Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think I ever noticed that RL 5W-20 seems to meet the Chrysler approval for the Hemi. I guess I could buy it and have the dealer change the oil with it. But if I were to spend RL money on oil, Id just get the 5W-30 instead.

I have some PUP 5W-20 at my house, not sure if the dealer stocks it (crazy how its "required" but they dont all have it...) but they could use mine with a free oil change instead of their bulk crap. I have 3 or 4 free oil changes left.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe an unapproved additive will get that tick for you. You have been saying the same thing for weeks, sounds like redline aint for ya. Maybe try something else let us know if it worked.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Im not a fan either, but it might be a good way to remain "factory", have the dealer do an oil change then just supplement it with an additive after you leave. I know nothing will "fix" 5W-20 to make it better, but if we're worried about voiding MaxCare, having the documented 5-20 will go a long way.

I got my jug of Corrosion Free Rust Cure this week. I used it last year shortly after buying my truck. Ive used Fluid Film before on a different truck, and have to say Corrosion Free is far better to work with. No dripping, doesnt smell like wet sheep, etc. Here we are a year later and in most places under my truck you can see still evidence of it. And no surface rust has shown up other than what was there when I bought the truck (standard stuff like driveshaft, brake backing plate, etc). I plan on re-coating tomorrow or this weekend, I just wasnt sure how far I should go in cleaning off the existing coating....there is some dirt and stuff embedded in it, but I dont think I want to pressure wash all of it off. Not sure how far to go with prepping before re-coating.

I like using something not very aggressive like simple green and using the soap nozzle on the pressure washer to spray under the truck. Then I just Give it a quick rinse and with the press washer. Nothing to detailed. Just enough to get the loose stuff and re-coat right on top. All the rain snow and general weather will prevent A lot of build up.

The one extra step I take is to unbolt the wheel well liners and scrape all of the build up out that is between the liner and the lip on your fender.

After that I wait for a good couple days of dry weather and then reapply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe an unapproved additive will get that tick for you. You have been saying the same thing for weeks, sounds like redline aint for ya. Maybe try something else let us know if it worked.

Yeah Im on the fence. I want to try RL 5-30 at least once, but like you said Im just not sure any oil (or additive) would fix whatever noise it is my engine makes.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah Im on the fence. I want to try RL 5-30 at least once, but like you said Im just not sure any oil (or additive) would fix whatever noise it is my engine makes.
I’d give it a chance my friend, I did and don’t regret it one bit. If it doesn’t work for your engine, then it is what it is but I bet you will hear a difference. If not, then you’ll know for sure instead of pondering. Gl bud.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like using something not very aggressive like simple green and using the soap nozzle on the pressure washer to spray under the truck. Then I just Give it a quick rinse and with the press washer. Nothing to detailed. Just enough to get the loose stuff and re-coat right on top. All the rain snow and general weather will prevent A lot of build up.

The one extra step I take is to unbolt the wheel well liners and scrape all of the build up out that is between the liner and the lip on your fender.

After that I wait for a good couple days of dry weather and then reapply.

Yeah I forgot the front inner fenders and inside the tailgate when I applied last year. Tomorrow Ill pull the inner fenders out and clean all around there. Dont have days to wait before I can re-apply, but Ill leave them out all day and hit those spots towards the evening so hopefully its fairly dry.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Just a tad off subject..... Do the 19 Rams come with Pennzoil synthetic in them? Any one know?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah I forgot the front inner fenders and inside the tailgate when I applied last year. Tomorrow Ill pull the inner fenders out and clean all around there. Dont have days to wait before I can re-apply, but Ill leave them out all day and hit those spots towards the evening so hopefully its fairly dry.

I meant I just let the truck dry for a couple days after washing the underside. not not necessarily talking about the wheel well liners.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I’d give it a chance my friend, I did and don’t regret it one bit. If it doesn’t work for your engine, then it is what it is but I bet you will hear a difference. If not, then you’ll know for sure instead of pondering. Gl bud.

Very well said!!!

If your engine is making noise that you don’t like... just try a redline. All you have to do is try it for one full oil change interval and if it doesn’t do anything for you you can at least say you tried.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very well said!!!

If your engine is making noise that you don’t like... just try a redline. All you have to do is try it for one full oil change interval and if it doesn’t do anything for you you can at least say you tried.

That's where I was, I was almost there with m1EP but there was this little guy on my shoulder saying try redline, you'll like it. Glad I listened to him. My mind is at ease now not listening to my engine every time I slow down or go thru a drive thru, just quiet as can be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That's where I was, I was almost there with m1EP but there was this little guy on my shoulder saying try redline, you'll like it. Glad I listened to him. My mind is at ease now not listening to my engine every time I slow down or go thru a drive thru, just quiet as can be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
There was a newer dodge in front of me in the drive through and he actually had to turn his truck off to order and then again when paying. That thing was rappin something crazy.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
WOW!

talk about a deal!!

New local Farm & Fleet

Iv NEVER seen delvac for that cheap. Or steel ammo cans (<< i know, not oil)

30475d6a15d066f6ec3881b259986478.jpg
ef2553c03ec75b044d06b257edb81e76.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
20 bucks for 5 gallons, damn. That is not their synthetic, but still. Both them and rotella have a large range of oils starting from the basement all they way up. Something like 70 cents per qrt, the old me would have bought 20 and just stored them.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
20 bucks for 5 gallons, damn. That is not their synthetic, but still. Both them and rotella have a large range of oils starting from the basement all they way up. Something like 70 cents per qrt, the old me would have bought 20 and just stored them.

Im thinking its great for a lifetime supply of oil for my little push mowers. LOL. They hold like 20oz.

LOL

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wanted to post this here for all my guys here just so you could”save” the pic in your photo library of you want.

Gear ratio vs tires size. Its a “general” idea for gas engines if your interested is re-gearing.

ad07ae02eb26a4918b27b8d9431de833.jpg