Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I want to say that when Burla, Hemi, RLK and I went to HTC forum we SERIOUSLY we’re looking for a friendly place to start another oil discussion AND share the experience EVERYONE has had on this thread. At the time the oil thread in this forum was completely falling apart and we weren’t sure it was going to come back.

At HTC We were greeted in a way that ahowes we were not welcome. Simple as that.....and we left promptly.

Anyone that thinks Burla was the problem. Step back and take a look at the history of this thread and reconsider your thought. Butla simply stands up for what we have done together and what he believes. Not a thing wrong with that when what we have done here is being threatened by some.

Om done. I will not talk about this ANYMORE...

This thread has been GREAT lately with lots of new faces that have contributed a lot. Lets keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last input on that whole situation...everyone was greeted very nicely on HTC and you guys had some discussion going. But like I said before, there wasn't much interest in oil discussion simply because that forum is 3rd gen performance/drag racing and nobody has issues with oil because we all have somewhat built motors and just don't have the same issues the stockish 4th gen trucks have. Yes, I did pipe up and say some things about Burla, and only Burla. Right around that time I saw several posts from him in this thread here where he was throwing a bunch of insults and ranting at a few members. Whether they were justified or not, I don't know. All I did on HTC was simply tell the other members that the oil debate threads were basically boiling down into insult fights between members here that were disagreeing constantly. Several of you including Burla have admitted that this thread was getting very bad, so I don't know why I'm the bad guy for pointing that out months ago. Burla even stated that was why he left there temporarily. I even posted a link to the the latest fight Burla was in insulting people. And then simply left it at that. (Burla pasted my words I said here that I said in that post but erased the link to his ranting) I even said that I was simply bringing it to people's attention and that I would leave it at that if people still wanted to contribute to the oil conversation. There were a few more posts and then you all disappeared. I do not consider what I posted as a "personal attack" to Burla when I simply posted his own words. The only response he had back to that was "why bring up the past" even though it was from a few days before.

I would like to say you all are very welcome to post and talk about anything you want to on HTC and there may be members there that would benefit and contribute. But to say that I personally "Ran you guys off the forum" is 100% wrong. I think Burla didn't expect his public words to follow him somewhere else. I will even link the thread to show people he was not run out of there.
https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/f39/oil-cooler-thread-28889.html
This is the last time I will talk about this, sorry it came down to that, but after seeing some of the insults thrown around here I don't feel bad. I don't have any issue with the idea of the synthetic oil debate and how much testing you guys have put into it, in that case it's admirable. I appreciate the effort that goes into it and the technical knowledge some of you have breaking down the details of how different oils are made. What I don't like is personal insults and name calling, which is why I stay away from that and call out people who do do it. There's no reason for it. I'm glad that this thread seems to have calmed down lately, great job guys. I can walk away from this now, carry on guys

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did I miss something by not reading my owners manual? I don't recall anything about breaking in you're gears on a new truck. Or is that because of the ratio or just because they're not set up as tight because of mass production?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The guy installing my gears carries to gear oil brands.

Schaeffers and Royal Purple.

Obviously i went for schaeffers. Should I wait till after my gear install to break the bad news to him about royal purple gear oil.

LOL.

I would wait to break the news LOL
On my 2013 gear swap to 410's I think I drove about 500 miles before pulling the diff cover, the gear oil looked so bad I was convinced the dealer used old oil.
Really excited to hear about your 488's

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lol, I can speak for all the clowns HTC is a pass. And going around the net and bashing RF is weak.

Newbie, yeah this only applies to new gears, but good point about a new truck. I wonder myself about that. Look up “Lapped” , apparently that is something they do to new truck gears, dunno.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Did I miss something by not reading my owners manual? I don't recall anything about breaking in you're gears on a new truck. Or is that because of the ratio or just because they're not set up as tight because of mass production?

Good point.....

I ran the **** out of my hemi right off the lot and during the test drive before because I believe in heartbreak and for engines.

But to be fair OEM gears are Generally cut with different tools ( compared to aftermarket small companies) and also don’t have the black phosphate coating on them like aftermarket ones. A lot of the break in has to do with etching in the phosphate in correctly while not getting it to hot.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Think about it, you can't control test drives most people want to test the equipment and since the trucks come to dealer with like 0 miles or close, they have to do something different to the gears?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Clearance may be an issue? After seeing mr banks I would use a temperature gauge and never worry about it unless I had a temperature issue.

11147_2014-ram2500_stock_cover_lg.jpg

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I know about setting up a differential is there is a technique to it and the pinion depth needs to be set and the ring gear is shimmed from sided to side. I know enough not to mess with it, let a professional do it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
How would you stamp your own Kyle? What about this, taking a stock cover and cutting a channel in it and extending it out? Something like this...

718-7128.jpg

I like your idea and have thought about it. I could just buy a new OEM replacement (cheap) and Cut the flange off. Weld on an extension and make my own replacement flange.

I can also lay out the bolt pattern and flange shape by hand and draw that up on our 2D CAD program. Cut it out of something like 10ga (.135”) stainless,or even 7ga ( .187”) And then with the drawn software that we have i can somewhat match the OEM by cutting and rolling a few pieces and tig weld them together. But make it stick out further to add capacity.

Its an absolute wast if time but would be super fun.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

I was just thinking the same thing. Either way I'm almost at 10k with the new rig, front and rear are getting some TLC with a fluid change. After watching those videos with the clear diff covers it really put the fire under me to get it done.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I like your idea and have thought about it. I could just buy a new OEM replacement (cheap) and Cut the flange off. Weld on an extension and make my own replacement flange.

I can also lay out the bolt pattern and flange shape by hand and draw that up on our 2D CAD program. Cut it out of something like 10ga (.135”) stainless,or even 7ga ( .187”) And then with the drawn software that we have i can somewhat match the OEM by cutting and rolling a few pieces and tig weld them together. But make it stick out further to add capacity.

Its an absolute wast if time but would be super fun.

Tig??? I was never that good at tig, mig and arc all day. Spent 1 summer in the Michigan heat welding out side, with the leathers and sun beating down on me, that was it for me. Lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cool, that is what I get fer thinking the 2500 and 3500 rd would be the same.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Tig??? I was never that good at tig, mig and arc all day. Spent 1 summer in the Michigan heat welding out side, with the leathers and sun beating down on me, that was it for me. Lol

I love all 3 processes

Stick is for hard ass men welding in the middle of nowhere off of engine drive welders.

Mig is for getting it out the door fast

Tig is a perfect art.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Sorry for the derailment of the thread. Beer dose that to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is even more impressive that 2500's can hold that much weight with a coil. I guess that came later, I know they didn't put those in the 2500 at first.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sorry for the derailment of the thread. Beer dose that to me.

No worries mate: I do it all the time! I consider us similar to family & all will be forgiven within 24 hrs! :gathering: :kiss1:!