Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hey oil guru guys, I know this isn’t where I should post but the third gen section is dead these days and all you smart guys move over here, so here I go. I switched to redline 5/30 from whatever the dealer was putting in and she was quite and smooth for a couple hundred miles, now all of a sudden it’s chatty 2 minuets after cold start, when the r’s are raised it goes away till I let off the skinny pedal then it comes back as the rpm’s drop. It’s not loud but definitely can be heard. Any advice?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hey oil guru guys, I know this isn’t where I should post but the third gen section is dead these days and all you smart guys move over here, so here I go. I switched to redline 5/30 from whatever the dealer was putting in and she was quite and smooth for a couple hundred miles, now all of a sudden it’s chatty 2 minuets after cold start, when the r’s are raised it goes away till I let off the skinny pedal then it comes back as the rpm’s drop. It’s not loud but definitely can be heard. Any advice?

Miles on truck before switching to Redline?

Miles on redline?

It has been known to do some hellacious cleaning on older engines .....cause noise. Give it time. Like 1000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We say several times, it is a risk to run redline in an older vehicle, and if it was your 2006 that is an old vehicle, no disrepect:) If it ran redline for a long time that is one thing, but adding it to an older vehicle that never had it is a risk for this...

It hyper cleans stuff, so likely cleaned out some sludge spots in your truck. So at this point you are stuck, you need to see if the film is going to re-populate and bring back the quiet. Many features of redline take a couple thousand miles to show up, ask Corey. It takes a while to plate IF it is going to plate. DONT flush it! Report back in a thousand miles.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
We say several times, it is a risk to run redline in an older vehicle, and if it was your 2006 that is an old vehicle, no disrepect:) If it ran redline for a long time that is one thing, but adding it to an older vehicle that never had it is a risk for this...

It hyper cleans stuff, so likely cleaned out some sludge spots in your truck. So at this point you are stuck, you need to see if the film is going to re-populate and bring back the quiet. Many features of redline take a couple thousand miles to show up, ask Corey. It takes a while to plate IF it is going to plate. DONT flush it! Report back in a thousand miles.
Thank you very much, I really do appreciate you guys here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd appreciate it back if you keep following up with your experience in this thread, we informally keep track of events with redline. That is how we knew this risk, this is the third time that I can remember this happening to a vehicle with over 75k miles. We would all be interested to see if this worked out or not. If it doesn't work out, you can go to a high mileage oil, I'd go a little thicker. But hey, we will choose an oil together if it doesn't work out, so come back either way and let us know? Thanks Burla

We want to hear all outcomes, good or bad.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the forums and it doesn't take long for me to figure who knows their **** and who is just full of ****.

While I don't agree with everyone's approach to a problem I respect anyone willing to do the research, experimentation and the work, then get on here and talk about it.

Well said, I've done this on all forums i've joined. Instead of just jumping on trashing ideas of others, imposing your own, not respecting others, being rude, etc. I like to sit back and do a lot of "listening", learning, searching and analyzing before jumping in to the chats. As much as i'm interested on the topics of the threads, i think the psychology of the forums are just as intriguing.

I know this is from yesterday, but had to bring it back for a minute.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Now I’m gonna get heckled cause I followed like a sheep and it didn’t work out so well huh.
I always switched to synthetic on my vehicles but your right burla, not one with this amount of mileage and not any hemi’s if that even matters. Well I guess that’s how sheep like me learn, the hard way. I really should have read this entire thread but it’s my fault and now I’m going pay but that’s life right.

Anyhoo, I’ll report back like suggested and keeping my fat fingers crossed I didn’t ruin this engine.

Thanks again for the help and I’ll be sure to do my research before I do something to a vehicle I know nothing about.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I'd appreciate it back if you keep following up with your experience in this thread, we informally keep track of events with redline. That is how we knew this risk, this is the third time that I can remember this happening to a vehicle with over 75k miles. We would all be interested to see if this worked out or not. If it doesn't work out, you can go to a high mileage oil, I'd go a little thicker. But hey, we will choose an oil together if it doesn't work out, so come back either way and let us know? Thanks Burla

We want to hear all outcomes, good or bad.
I will do just that.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Now I’m gonna get heckled cause I followed like a sheep and it didn’t work out so well huh.
I always switched to synthetic on my vehicles but your right burla, not one with this amount of mileage and not any hemi’s if that even matters. Well I guess that’s how sheep like me learn, the hard way. I really should have read this entire thread but it’s my fault and now I’m going pay but that’s life right.

Anyhoo, I’ll report back like suggested and keeping my fat fingers crossed I didn’t ruin this engine.

Thanks again for the help and I’ll be sure to do my research before I do something to a vehicle I know nothing about.

Just to clarify, there is no way in hell we expect people to read this entire thread. Not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
I was going to jump on the redline wagon on next change but im about 4k miles in on Amsoil SS 5w20 and i have no tick right now. Or i should say its not as prevalent as it was going through the DQ drive thru...haha. It has cooled off around here though, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Just thought id share.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Alright guys, on the Durango 5.7, 58* here today, cold start, on the Amsoil SS 5W-30, has a slight 15-20 second tic on start up then back to normal. Durango drove 230 miles yesterday, and was parked for about 14 hours.

23,950 miles, 2236 miles on this OCI. First time I’ve ever heard it. Running the Amsoil EA15K50 (smaller) Filter.

One off issue or maybe watch it? I like Amsoil and it works great in my 6.4 and has worked great in both 5.7s until this morning. I am and have been faithful to them BUT I have ZERO issues dumping it and going to something else i.e. Redline.

I will also eat my words if necessary.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys, on the Durango 5.7, 58* here today, cold start, on the Amsoil SS 5W-30, has a slight 15-20 second tic on start up then back to normal. Durango drove 230 miles yesterday, and was parked for about 14 hours.

23,950 miles, 2236 miles on this OCI. First time I’ve ever heard it. Running the Amsoil EA15K50 (smaller) Filter.

One off issue or maybe watch it? I like Amsoil and it works great in my 6.4 and has worked great in both 5.7s until this morning. I am and have been faithful to them BUT I have ZERO issues dumping it and going to something else i.e. Redline.

I was a loyal Amsoil user for years however with all this formula change and now they're getting the doughnut I'm not so sure about them anymore. My wife's van 3.6 has started getting the cold start tic every once in a while now on SS 5/20 so it might be my next candidate for redline.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I agree with 69, see if it continues to do it or it gets worse and/or lasts longer. Mine will do a 2-3 second rattle if I move the truck real quick and don't drive it at all. But as a rule it never has a startup tick, even when its single digits out.

But hey if it gets worse or louder you know what to do;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm sure redline wouldn't mind everyone moving every 4 banger soccer mom car to their product, but I have found that simply moving my wife's such vehicle over to 5w30 PUP was sufficient to get that smoothness we are searching for. From rattle trap to smooth, just by going to 5w30.

As for the 5.7, it has earned a spot as a good lubrication strategy, especially with the latest uoa's.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Your running the old SS formula now which imo is a great oil . Not sure if it's still available everywhere?
If this continues or gets worse I'd definitely try RL5W-30 and the RP or Amsoil filter .
If you can get Amsoil 5W-30 SS maybe just change the oil early .
I believe the SS had a good amount of moly ?
If you do go with the Redline just remember to give the added Molybdenum & ester/ PAO a good 750+ miles to quiet down that 5.7L
Good luck Sir !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was a loyal Amsoil user for years however with all this formula change and now they're getting the doughnut I'm not so sure about them anymore. My wife's van 3.6 has started getting the cold start tic every once in a while now on SS 5/20 so it might be my next candidate for redline.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Put 5/30 RL in my wrangler with the pentastar, really quited it down and seems like a smoother engine.

Last edited: