Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
What are all the group 5 brands available in 5w20? Where does Amsoil rank?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What are all the group 5 brands available in 5w20? Where does Amsoil rank?

I only know for sure the entire Redline and most of Motul viscosity ranges are group 5 and I believe their 300v are all group 5. I actually am not sure if Motul makes a 5w20, but 0w20 would work just as good if not better then 5w20. Formulations are always changing, Amsoil used to state and market themselves as group 4 and I still believe they use a lot of group 4, but I'm not 100% sure. They keep their formulations secret and their mission statement is just that they concentrate on performance as opposed to worrying about the base. Check their website under faqs. Gonna have to use your google skills past that, i know there are other off brand group 5's, but I forget because it has been so long since i've heard them. redline and Motul dominate that market. Funny because usa made vehicle forums get your loyal redline users but other forums like volkswagon and other foreign made vehicle are really loyal to motul.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
So how do I tell what group a oil is in?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So how do I tell what group a oil is in?

Check what the manufacturer states, if Redline or Motul ever got caught not using ester based formulas it would probably end their company's and it would certainly end their reputation.

TomzExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I remember correctly it says that under the 2500 part, I'll have to double check when I get home

Engine Oil Viscosity - 5.7L Engine (2500/3500) Models Only
Note: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multi-Displacement System (MDS).

This is from the paperback owners manual Ram 2014 Ram Truck 1500/2500/3500 page 677.

As I read it 1500 owners can use 5W-30 but HD owners cannot.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
someone must a slipped this thread a group 5 oil.........just keeps running.........( comedic purposes only) no hate.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Let's run an API certified oil and cease it up :)

I don't think it was covered but since some guy bought the wrong oil I thought I would add to anyone considering redline oil. Do not buy their racing oil for the Ram, it is a specialized formula for racing engines. From Redline

ABOUT RED LINE MOTOR OIL FOR RACING

Racing oils provide more wear protection than motor oils for passenger vehicles, however, these products contain fewer detergents and are not suitable for street use

Reformulated for improved frictional properties
Special detergents for improved lubricity and less detonation
Polyol ester base stocks provide more stability and film strength when exposed to excess fuel dilution
Each of these products has no less than 2200ppm of zinc and phosphorus for antiwear

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sent a email to Royal Purpel asking for info on their product , this is what I got...
Me: 5.7L Hemi Dodge Ram: Can you tell me what group or class of oil Royal Purple falls into? Is it a Group 3 oil? Would I benefit from switching to a group 5 oil?
RP: Good morning Lance,

All Royal Purple engine oils are full synthetic except for our break in oil. Royal Purple synthetic oil formulations are proprietary. Royal Purple synthetic oils use a proprietary blend of premium synthetic base oils, including groups IV and V. There are advantages and disadvantages to each oil group, by using a proprietary combination of these groups instead of just one or the other, we can create a base oil starting point which offers significant advantages like superior performance and protection.

If your 5.7L Hemi powered Ram pickup is past the warranty period, we do offer an oil with an even higher level of performance and protection. Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) offers a significant upgrade in performance and protection.
HPS: HPS
Synerlec: Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

Most of your local stores will likely not have HPS in stock and right on the shelves. However a special order of HPS can be done at your local NAPA and O’Reilly’s stores. HPS oils are also definitely available on line and shipping at the following performance outlets:

Lucky7trucks.com: HPS High Performance Street Oil - Lucky 7 Truck Accessories

Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=royal purple hps&dds=1

Pace Performance: Royal Purple HPS Street Motor Oil

Jegs: royal+purple+hps - JEGS High Performance

Amazon.com

Thanks for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Best Regards,

James Morrissey
Sr. Automotive Technical Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p 281 354 8600 f 281 354 7600
e [email protected]
One Royal Purple Lane Porter, TX 77365
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and / or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of or taking
action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately
and delete the material including any attachments, from any computer and destroy all copies.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sent a email to Royal Purpel asking for info on their product , this is what I got...
Me: 5.7L Hemi Dodge Ram: Can you tell me what group or class of oil Royal Purple falls into? Is it a Group 3 oil? Would I benefit from switching to a group 5 oil?
RP: Good morning Lance,

All Royal Purple engine oils are full synthetic except for our break in oil. Royal Purple synthetic oil formulations are proprietary. Royal Purple synthetic oils use a proprietary blend of premium synthetic base oils, including groups IV and V. There are advantages and disadvantages to each oil group, by using a proprietary combination of these groups instead of just one or the other, we can create a base oil starting point which offers significant advantages like superior performance and protection.

If your 5.7L Hemi powered Ram pickup is past the warranty period, we do offer an oil with an even higher level of performance and protection. Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) offers a significant upgrade in performance and protection.
HPS: HPS
Synerlec: Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

Most of your local stores will likely not have HPS in stock and right on the shelves. However a special order of HPS can be done at your local NAPA and O’Reilly’s stores. HPS oils are also definitely available on line and shipping at the following performance outlets:

Lucky7trucks.com: HPS High Performance Street Oil - Lucky 7 Truck Accessories

Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=royal purple hps&dds=1

Pace Performance: Royal Purple HPS Street Motor Oil

Jegs: royal+purple+hps - JEGS High Performance

Amazon.com

Thanks for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Best Regards,

James Morrissey
Sr. Automotive Technical Support
p 281 354 8600 f 281 354 7600
e [email protected]
One Royal Purple Lane Porter, TX 77365

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and / or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of or taking
action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately
and delete the material including any attachments, from any computer and destroy all copies.

Should have asked how much Moly is in their oil.......i have read that it is not as good as it used to be.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Forum Member Road Kind (Rich) already asked Royal Purple and Amsoil and here was their responses...

Royal Purple's first,

Good Morning Mr. N(edit)l,

Thank you for writing in today. The short answer is immediately below, and the long answer containing more detail follows that:

Short Answer:

The amount of “moly” listed in the contents of an engine oil has no bearing on the quality or effectiveness of that oil. The Hemi engine doesn’t need “moly”.

Long Answer:

There is a lot of confusion as to what is actually in a motor oil. Some consumers have taken to looking at oil analysis reports in attempt to get a better handle on engine oil. Unfortunately, without a background in lubricants and familiarity with the formulation in question, a single “snapshot” oil analysis report doesn’t offer much useful information. An oil analysis report will show elements that are contained within the oil sample, but an oil is not created with elements. Rather, the additives used in lubricants are compounds made of many elements, and the elements can be used in a variety of different compounds. The “moly” that most people are actually referring to in lubricants is Molybdenum Disulfide, which is one kind of compound that can be used in lubricants, and it is a cheap, insoluble lubricity enhancer. The “moly” that is listed on an oil analysis sheet is molybdenum (an element) that can be used in molybdenum disulfide and any number of other compounds. Whether on oil contains moly, molybdenum disulfide, or any other molybdenum-containing compound is absolutely zero indication of how well it can lubricate an engine. No Royal Purple engine oils have ever used Molybdenum Disulfide, or any other insoluble additives, because that fact that they don’t dissolve means that there is a higher risk of that additive failing out, being caught in a filter, or accumulating on an internal surface.

For your 2013 we have a couple of great choices. For an excellent warranty compliant synthetic engine oil we recommend Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (part #01520, quart bottle). It carries the current API SN/ILSAC GF-5 engine oil licenses and meets the Chrysler/Mopar MS-6395 oil spec.

Clearly this individual has no clue of what he is talking about, anyway I have no problem bashing the guys running RP but the oil is still high quality. I just hate mis information. All of the old UOA's of RP had 185 PPM Moly, none of the new uoa's do, they took it out. No major oil company uses molybdenum disulfide, they all use organic moly. It is just that Royal Purple does not. Moly does not help the lubrication like zinc, but it sticks to the metal when the oil is not there and is beneficial to the engine, which is why everyone but Valvoline and RP uses it.

Here is what Amsoil said to RK on the same matter.

Richard;

We do not recommend the use of Moly in engine oils. It is a solid that can lead to premature wear. The only company I know of recommends moly because it is in their oil. Although not licensed with the API AMSOIL Signature Series Oil are recommended for use in this truck. They are actually better oils than the XL Series oils. Use them with confidence that the Warranty will not be affected.

None of our engine oils contain Moly in significant amounts (by design).

Again mis information, Moly in motor oils are not solids and will not lead to wear and in fact they know this because they use it. These people are so stupid it hurts, if it causes wear why would you put 80ppm in all your oils? Duh.

Again from Redline INC.

Burla,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the molybdenum used in our oil is an organic moly, different from molybdenum disulfide.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Ask yourself if you want an oil that protects your metal to metal wear even when it is not present, if not choose an oil w/o moly.

Metal without moly and next pic with moly. The main purpose of oil is to create a protective film, oils with moly create a small film over time that protect metal to metal wear on start ups. Again, beating to death I know but that is why everyone uses it and what it is invented for, lol. Moly disulfide was old technology but was so beneficial to lubrication the industry developed Moly that was held in suspension and is soluble. It protects our trucks everytime we turn the key if we use an oil that contains it. A better question to ask RP is why the heck did you take it out of your oil when your oil was wildly popular with the moly level at 185ppm FOR DECADES? I doubt we ever get a straight answer from them.

squeeze4.png

nosqueeze.jpg

Last edited:

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So.... just bought mg used 2009 ram. 5.7 hemi. 75000 miles. No history of the oil. I had a tundra with 287,000 miles. Knocked like a diesel when started but in 30 sec was fine. Annoyed the fire outbid me. I want to make sure the ram never does this. I know I will do redline in the tranny at 100k and in difs and transfer case. This thread has convinced me to swap from the castrol gtx. I have used for 200k miles to amsoil or redline. Thanks. Now to tell the boss I need tto do a $100 oil change. But that should last me 9 months. Where I used to spend $40 every 3 or 4 for the gtx and ssome Lucas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
So.... just bought mg used 2009 ram. 5.7 hemi. 75000 miles. No history of the oil. I had a tundra with 287,000 miles. Knocked like a diesel when started but in 30 sec was fine. Annoyed the fire outbid me. I want to make sure the ram never does this. I know I will do redline in the tranny at 100k and in difs and transfer case. This thread has convinced me to swap from the castrol gtx. I have used for 200k miles to amsoil or redline. Thanks. Now to tell the boss I need tto do a $100 oil change. But that should last me 9 months. Where I used to spend $40 every 3 or 4 for the gtx and ssome Lucas.

Prolly none of my business, but with all the money spent on redline or amsoil,....couldn't ya afford a newer truck for the same money..........my point being 75 k is a lot , and throwing a real good oil in it may not be the best thing in the world. ( there's a chance that the crude that you'll clean out, using the above brands, will leave oats coming out the tailpipe.).

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well. From looking in my area there really wasn't much. I got a good deal on my truck. It was within my monthly budget and I haven't had a payment for over 2 years. My tundra had 60k on it when I bought it. Changed religiously every 7k with the gtx high mileage 5w30 and after 150k swapped a qt of oil for Lucas. Truck ran very well. My ram is in good shape everywhere else so I feel the engine should be good too. It was sold as a certified used in 2012.

I have never run a true synthetic but like what I've read here. I saw my local Napa carries liqui-moly and can order RP. I may order the amsoil from amazon as I have 3k till my first change.

And cost. For my driving the amsoil would be an almost annual change.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fed-x just left, dropped off redline motor and gear oil for my wife's Durango and the 2 atv,s. I knew it made a difference in my ram but to here how smooth my snowmobile runs with it compared to M1 or Yamalube I'm sold.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Correction. The Redline at 25000 would be annual. Amsoil would be every 10k I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I change my Royal Purpel every 5k, it's Purpel!

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ramhead. That's what amsoil guy told me today. Ill buy it next month.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed my S&B intake on Wednesday. And installed the bullydog Friday night.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Statcher1 bet you feel like you got a different truck now?