Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If I were to go to Redline 5w30, and the Royal Purple oil filter, would a once a year oil/filter change be sufficient? I will only put 3 or 4 thousand miles a year on my hemi. Thanks!

How often do you take if for 30min minimum highway drives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
@Ludville1: , simple answer YES !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just want to point out that vehicle that sits for long periods of time and go through the normal weather heat cycles of the day.... condensation will build up in your oil.

It needs cooked out.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just want to point out that vehicle that sits for long periods of time and go through the normal weather heat cycles of the day.... condensation will build up in your oil.

It needs cooked out.

Headed into work , I didn't have much time [emoji16][emoji108]

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I were to go to Redline 5w30, and the Royal Purple oil filter, would a once a year oil/filter change be sufficient? I will only put 3 or 4 thousand miles a year on my hemi. I have always been a Mobil 1 guy, and it has Mobil 1 5w20 in it now. MDS is defeated through the tuner. I bought the truck last July, and it has 150K miles on it. Previous owner used Redline 5w30 in it for a long time, then switched to Valvoline Max Life 5w30 for the last year or so that he owned it for cost savings? The hemi runs really strong, doesn't use or leak any oil, and is pretty quiet as is. Sounds like the Redline 5w30 with the Royal Purple oil filter is a great choice for this engine. Thanks!
Yes you should have no problem running that for a year. Like others have stated, take it out on the highway and the oil up to temp at least once every 2 weeks or so to burn off the condensation.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Headed into work , I didn't have much time [emoji16][emoji108]

Gotcha.

Hay! You txting and driving mr. !!

[emoji23]

Didn’t mean to step on your toes. I was just standing there doing sheet metal layouts and wanted to add a little to your post.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Wanted to post a pic of my cluster and temps. Running RL 5w-30 with Royal Purple filter.

Thought it was strange your clusters don’t go below a certain temp. Took this pic as I pulled out of my garage.

View media item 26540

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your cluster (the actual guages) are very different from mine. Different font and have the Hot/Cold writing on them.

Could be like someone else said...different supplier at some point provides slightly different product. Would have been nice to have all readings go as low as reality but Ill live.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I were to go to Redline 5w30, and the Royal Purple oil filter, would a once a year oil/filter change be sufficient? I will only put 3 or 4 thousand miles a year on my hemi. I have always been a Mobil 1 guy, and it has Mobil 1 5w20 in it now. MDS is defeated through the tuner. I bought the truck last July, and it has 150K miles on it. Previous owner used Redline 5w30 in it for a long time, then switched to Valvoline Max Life 5w30 for the last year or so that he owned it for cost savings? The hemi runs really strong, doesn't use or leak any oil, and is pretty quiet as is. Sounds like the Redline 5w30 with the Royal Purple oil filter is a great choice for this engine. Thanks!

So I have done two uoa's under those circumstances, one 5w20 plus rp filter and 5w30 and RP filter for 5k miles per year making the uoa's 10k oil change intervals. So I can tell you if you change it at one year mark you are probably just throwing away good oil. My tbn at one year was over 6, meaning that is stronger then many new oils, my tbn at 2 years was over three, meaning a perfect time to change. So it is up to you, you can change at one year if you have that type of lubrication budget, or you could even extend that out to two years w/o risk, maybe a year and a half, assuming you check your oil once in a while for level and color.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think the important thing to note here as mentioned a few times is to definitely do a used oil analysis if you plan on running oil for that long.

JMO

The only reason I’m saying this is because I wanted to mention mine as a reference point. I ran redline 10w40 for 5000 miles/six months. Actually it was just shy of 5000 miles in 6 months.

My TBN was only 2.8.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just wouldn't use an additive w/o msds ever, and it's the law. Just some nasties I want to avoid that can be in those additives.

Truth ! If you go to Walmart, or an auto parts store, there is a plethora of oil additives. My observation is they are just thick oil and Teflon. Some have a little zinc.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Corey you see that uoa? Said coolant leak, but an additive was used w/o msds, I hope that items aren't in the additive. I would research that one more, it could be that was a coolant leak, or something else. W/O msds there is no way of knowing, there is no rules against what additives can be, they even allow chlorine. buyer beware.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Must read for anyone considering an additive. Yes when one has hemi tick it does force you to consider additives, just be careful. It is 2018 and there still are a lot of questionable products rolling around out there, but this gov't is banning good oils but allowing these oil additives to be unregulated??? Japan?

Beware of Aftermarket Oil Additives Containing Chlorine

May 8, 2010 By Marc Roden

When we hear the term “snake oil”, the very, VERY first thing that comes to mind are aftermarket-engine oil additives. Yes they have dazzling marketing campaigns and perhaps your uncle swears by them, but virtually every last one of them is a total ripoff. They are designed for one thing and one thing only and that is to vacuum money out of your wallet. Falling victim to glitzy claims is one thing, but did you know that many of these additives can actually cause damage to your engine because they have high chlorinated paraffin content?

Chlorine-based additives have been around for decades. At one time chlorinated paraffins were used as an extreme pressure (EP) additive by motor oil manufacturers, but the downside of this type of additive put an end to that practice. The mixture of chlorine with heat, combustion by-products, moisture and wear metals can ultimately result in the formation of hydrochloric acid. As you can well imagine, hydrochloric acid is not something you want inside your engine.

Incredibly, some of today’s aftermarket engine oil treatments still have a significant chlorinated paraffin content. AMSOIL recently had an independent lab test Dura Lube Engine Treatment Booster, Motorkote Hyper Lubricant/Engine Treatment, Motorkote MK Million Mile Formula and Prolong Engine Treatment. They found that each contained significant quantities of chlorinated paraffins. The findings were published in a recent technical service bulletin: TSB: Chlorine Content of Some Engine Oil Treatments.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well I couldn't find it on their website but I was looking at it on my phone this morning before work. I'll look on my laptop tonight. I think it's mandatory to have a msds right?

Yes they are supposed to, but many companies don't want to and make it hard to find, sometimes even requiring you to request it. Any legit company should have a pdf right where they sell the product.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Like Lubeguard, msds or sds right there easily available. Part of an entire box of extra information. And zmax had one as well. If it aint this easy you have to ask yourself what are they hiding.

more_info_box_sds.jpg

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yes they are supposed to, but many companies don't want to and make it hard to find, sometimes even requiring you to request it. Any legit company should have a pdf right where they sell the product.

Kinda like how redline comes right out and says they use PAO and ester base stock....[emoji848]

[emoji23]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye