Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Even better, lots of indications in the service manual and from talking to service department that anything ZF is pre-filled *from ZF* and not to be messed with.

Do they even check fluid levels when delivering a truck to a customer?

Do we blindly rely on ZF getting their process perfect and that no fluid was lost in transit?

Yes,

If ZF filled it them technically it is their responsibility. As ****** as that is, its the truth in a legal world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes,

If ZF filled it them technically it is their responsibility. As ****** as that is, its the truth in a legal world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even a brand new replacement ZF comes pre-filled with fluid,but they do send instructions on how to check the fluid level after it's installed.The biggest thing is jacking the truck up till the pan rail is level front to rear and side to side,i've never seen any video or shop that does that,and the instructions are very specific about getting the transmissions pan rail level,before pulling the plug to check the level.In fact it's the only part of the instructions that is highlighted and outlined in very bold black letters.To get my transmissions pan rail level,entailed jacking the rear of the truck up in the air a fair ways on my 4X4.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
It's the people that don't give a **** and dump or toss anywhere they like.
When I was in the Marines back in the 90's the Navy vessel we were assigned to dumped All waste/trash right in the ocean. Plastic, cardboard, human waste, old parts, Everything. Always when we were out in deep ocean conditions.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So do you think the ZF transmission needs a fill hole like the diffs or some of the transfer cases? Drilled on the side at full level? A little spills out you know it's full. Or is full on those past the pan line? In other words, is this fixable with ingenuity or did they take the fix out of it?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
When I was in the Marines back in the 90's the Navy vessel we were assigned to dumped All waste/trash right in the ocean. Plastic, cardboard, human waste, old parts, Everything. Always when we were out in deep ocean conditions.
You think they still do that?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do you think the ZF transmission needs a fill hole like the diffs or some of the transfer cases? Drilled on the side at full level? A little spills out you know it's full. Or is full on those past the pan line? In other words, is this fixable with ingenuity or did they take the fix out of it?

The way they have it from the factory isnt horrible, but it is very affected by level or not level.

My G37 is similar. Picture a tube standing some amount above the lowest point of the pan. When the fluid is to the top of that tube, but not over, the trans is filled perfectly. If you inject too much through the tube, the fluid will make its own level by draining back out.

But, if the pan itself isnt level, it will skew how much fluid is necessary to get to the top of the tube then drain back out to make its own level. So its important to make sure its all level. And of course ATF expands with heat, so you need a correct fluid temp as well.

There is no real way to "check" it, I guess, other than attempt to fill through and let it drain down to its own level. Which is basically how we fill differentials and transfer cases.

The only real question I have in the process is about the temperature of the fluid coming out and going in. If ATF does expand/contract that much, do I need to match the replacement fluid temp (roughly) to the drained fluid temp? To be absolutely sure I drain and replace with the same amount. If you are doing a complete pan and fluid replacement then there is a known amount you need so it wouldn't be an issue.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even a brand new replacement ZF comes pre-filled with fluid,but they do send instructions on how to check the fluid level after it's installed.The biggest thing is jacking the truck up till the pan rail is level front to rear and side to side,i've never seen any video or shop that does that,and the instructions are very specific about getting the transmissions pan rail level,before pulling the plug to check the level.In fact it's the only part of the instructions that is highlighted and outlined in very bold black letters.To get my transmissions pan rail level,entailed jacking the rear of the truck up in the air a fair ways on my 4X4.
The procedure is a bit more involved than just getting the pan rail level ...that covers the initial check only . ...next you turn off traction control , start engine , apply brakes and go through a series of xsmn shifts ie..rev, drive , neutral for specific time (5seconds each) even shifting to second gear . Also very important to keep the fluid temperature below 85°f .
There's a great 2 part video mythe Motor City Mechanic [emoji1303]

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

It needs a dipstick... That's one thing I think Ford got right when they licensed the ZF tech for their 10 speed. Even though it's a little chicken**** one you have to check from under the truck... at least its a dipstick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Then burn it, I just showed you the tech in which to do so. It would be a sad state affairs of they are still doing that practice. It is public opinion that can bring down armies, I would hope in 2018 we would do better.

Now, food waste and even septic if you are far enough out there, let it go. But plastics and other things that can be harmful to our ocean, burn it or store it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The procedure is a bit more involved than just getting the pan rail level ...that covers the initial check only . ...next you turn off traction control , start engine , apply brakes and go through a series of xsmn shifts ie..rev, drive , neutral for specific time (5seconds each) even shifting to second gear . Also very important to keep the fluid temperature below 85°f .
There's a great 2 part video mythe Motor City Mechanic [emoji1303]

Hope this helps

You can't keep the fluid temperature below 85F during the test. The tests temperature range is from 86F to 122F,lol. It'd be virtually impossible to keep the tranny below 85F during the test,unless you started out with a transmission below 30F. I didn't say there wasn't more to the procedure ,I was just pointing out the majority of video's miss leveling the pan rail,and by the instructions that came with my transmission,it's a very important step.I'm more inclined to believe the instructions that came with my transmission then you're video,and they specifically state in "********* print" to level the pan rail with the ground.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Solution, there needs to a an after market dip stick procedure, or people need to stop buying new 8 speed trucks unless FCA starts handing out lifetime warranties again. I would not knowingly buy a truck built like this.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point !
They would need to do the 9 step process just to check the fluid level ....[emoji36][emoji35]

God knows the dealership ain't gonna check it. It says right on their paperwork that they only check transmission fluid level if it has a dipstick.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Then burn it, I just showed you the tech in which to do so. It would be a sad state affairs of they are still doing that practice. It is public opinion that can bring down armies, I would hope in 2018 we would do better.

Now, food waste and even septic if you are far enough out there, let it go. But plastics and other things that can be harmful to our ocean, burn it or store it.

When I was in, there wasn't much, if any, plastic. Finished up my 6 years on the JFK . In 81, Libya stated their terratory extended three hundred miles off their coast line. International law recognizes 50 miles. While sailing 50 miles off their coast , the Capt decided it would be a good time to empty out the bilges. Nice brown strip to wash up on their coast line. Lol.

Btw Burla, the JFK was a super carrier. No where on the ship was there a safe place to burn garbage, nor a place to store it. I doubt that has changed.

Last edited: