Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
where have you seen synthetic oci's recommened at 5k miles in the usa? From my understading, with regular dino oil, 5k is the new 3k. Synthetic is good for double the life of dino ( for the most part ), so that would put syn at 10k intervals.
Based on UOA ( Used Oil Analysis ) results from labs like Blackstone Labs and others I've seen here and elsewhere some synthetic & synthetic blend oils loose their ability to properly protect the engine from wear at far less than 10k around 7ish
Some oils make it to 10k + though .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone ever sent dumped OCC oil to Blackstone or other labs just to see the results of what it's catching and not allowing it to go down the engines gullet ?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone ever sent dumped OCC oil to Blackstone or other labs just to see the results of what it's catching and not allowing it to go down the engines gullet ?
No but I was planning on it when I get mine installed and the first dump, before first OCI.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Great idea. I'll send mine in when I get enough in my CC to fill the sample container

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Challenger

RLK the recommended oil for the 2013 Challenger RT with the 5.7 and automatic was 5w/20. I sold it to buy my Ram.

Attachments

• SAM_0242 (461x346).jpg
    SAM_0242 (461x346).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 31

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Id say most exported Ram trucks would be diesels now that they offer light duty and the cummins for heavy duty. As far as challangers go all 5.7 are same ad ram 5-20 the 6.4 which is a totally different motor is 0-40. Whats funny to me is how all this ***** footing around about 0-40 oil heck somebody send me 7 qts and i will answer it once and for all if its too thick! Ill be your Huckleberry :) if you took every hemi on this forum and every other one too owned by guys like us that obsess over oil it wouldn't add up to 1% of Ram owners out there that are driving and working and enjoying their trucks without a oil worry at all just getting the 5-20 oil changes and having 0 issues doing it. Sorry just feeling frisky today so dont take me serious:crazy:

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RLK the recommended oil for the 2013 Challenger RT with the 5.7 and automatic was 5w/20. I sold it to buy my Ram.
Nice my wife wants the purple with flat black stripes RT .

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, I am about a thousand miles into my OCI with PUP 0W40, and I have to say my 6.4 is noisier than it was on the factory fill. I will be switching to Amsoil AZF next time.

I'm about 500 miles into my 5qt SRT 0w-40 + 2qt Redline 10w-40 mixture and notice no improvement on startup (using Fram Ultra 10060)...maybe a little quieter after warming up.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice my wife wants the purple with flat black stripes RT .

I love the Plum Crazy color and she would have a lot of fun with that car. I do miss mine on a nice sunny day, but the Ram will haul lumber and haul ass!!!

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
nouph, on 5k mile OCI
RAM dealships place new OC sticker on front windshield to change at 5k miles.
Dodge, RAM , Chrysler dealerships primarily use PP , after initial fill based on my survey.
That's where I got the 5k miles OCI.
Also called Shell oil and talked to chemist about PP & QSUD, both so called synthetics.
He said to change the oil frequently. The Shell chemist told me he used PP in his own vehicles with 5k OCI.
On another occasion talked to the Shell engine testing lab in Texas about PYB
The engine testing lab said to change the PYB on 4k mile intervals, maximum.

The synthetic oils sold in The Euro zone sold in liter size bottles are formulated differently for the most part using POA olefin base stock
than USA so called synthetics. These Euro oils will go 10 to 12k miles.
Beware of the engine oil marketed in USA labeled as European formula in quart size bottles & jugs.
Reading the small print the label indicates to be sold only in North America, such as BP\Castrol even if it says, made in Germany.
These oils are still formulated using group 3 base stock , not group 4 POA stock.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Beware of the engine oil marketed in USA labeled as European formula in quart size bottles & jugs.
Reading the small print the label indicates to be sold only in North America, such as BP\Castrol even if it says, made in Germany.
These oils are still formulated using group 3 base stock , not group 4 POA stock.

I WANT!!! To see Actual Data proof of This!!!

You can say this about the M1 0W-40 due to it is created/made in the USA... But you best be careful and have YOUR Facts straight when you assume this about Belgium Castrol 0W-30 and German Castrol 0W-40...

I wasn't going to post this but false info just upsets me!

Here is a message I sent bobby within BITOG just a month ago... Bobby is an Employee at Castrol... PM him if you want to know the actual facts about any of the Castrol Motor Oils! He has always been more then helpful!

**********************************************************************#298701 - 04/01/16 11:26 AM BC-0W-30 & GC 0W-40
Bobby: Hello! I have read where you may be associated with Castrol or employed by them...

If so? I have a question-->I just did my summer oil change within my 5.7L hemi... w/German Castrol 0W-40....

I have read where the Belgium made & German made 0W-30/0W-40 are full PAO oils? Is this correct?

Are both these oil actually produced in Belgium & Germany and shipped to the USA?

Thanks for any info you can share... I will continue to use these oils...

SyN

Here was Bobbys Answer!!! bobbydavro is his member name...
#298848 - 04/04/16 07:57 AM Re: BC-0W-30 & GC 0W-40
Hi,

Yes these oils are very similar and are produced in Europe and shipped to USA. Where they are made makes no difference, both 0W-40 and 0W-30 formulations are the same if german or Belgium made.

They are PAO

Even MolaKule assured me Bobby is employed by Castrol and what he says is golden...

Please Don't go out of your way to TRY to make me look foolish! I have researched this 2 oils for Many Years... I Try Very hard to ONLY post actual Truth and Facts... Good Luck to all those who have Oil Issues I hope you get those Rascals figured out!

Here is a photo of his actual reply just to show those who think I post false info!!!

Look at the Pour Points! Anyone who knows anything about PAO oils knows the very low pour points these oils are known for... Hmmm! Can you tell which 2 oils are PAO based?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 36
  • i-KfmJCfj.jpg
    i-KfmJCfj.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w 40.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
pennzoil 0-40 is about the consistency of 0-30 from any other brand, all the GTL base oils. they sell are really thin. Heard Chrysler is pulling away from it in the HP 6.4 because of complaints of blue smoke on start ups not sure what they are using to replace it just ran across this in a challenger forum the other day.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
pennzoil 0-40 is about the consistency of 0-30 from any other brand, all the GTL base oils. they sell are really thin. Heard Chrysler is pulling away from it in the HP 6.4 because of complaints of blue smoke on start ups not sure what they are using to replace it just ran across this in a challenger forum the other day.

It sure helps to stay in warrenty if i use it. Also its hard for a manufacturer of oil to List a Weight of oil and have it not actually be that weight.

I am always open to readingUsed Oil analysis. I've seen them come back on the 0W 40 at "bobistheoilguy" and they are good.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

On a side note I never used Pennzoil before. the only reason I'm doing it now is because of the warranty. I would love if they switch to something else like you say might be possible.

What do you think they would go to if they switch to something else

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some of the posters were using 5-40 but not sure about dealers if it turns out to be true then being pennzoil is the go to oil i figure they will boost the 0-40 in a reformulation or come out with a 5-40. I wouldn't worry about it if yours isn't having a blue smoke issue. These are the challenger guys the 6.4 in them is different from the ram 6.4 from my understanding.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Some of the posters were using 5-40 but not sure about dealers if it turns out to be true then being pennzoil is the go to oil i figure they will boost the 0-40 in a reformulation or come out with a 5-40. I wouldn't worry about it if yours isn't having a blue smoke issue. These are the challenger guys the 6.4 in them is different from the ram 6.4 from my understanding.

Ok. And no smoke but only 1700 miles so..... Time will tell

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
SYN
The pour point temperature for Pennzoil 0w40 is -51C.
The pour point temperature of your BP\Castrol\Edge is -53C.
The pour point temperature of Amsoil SS is - 51C.

BP is an huge international company blending motor oil in foreign countries like Germany & Belgium,
but some of it is made to be marketed in North America, including the USA.

Amsoil SS is surely POA based and at $12\quart, it better be and rated at 25k mile OCI for so called normal driving conditions, whatever that is.
For severe duty the OCI is reduced to 15k miles, towing , hauling, excessive idle like grid lock driving on the 405 LA freeway North bound at 5 pm.
Even using E85 gasoline is considered severe duty by Amsoil. What do you folks feel about that?
BP\Castrol \Edge in 40 wt is not even rated for extended mileage. Edge extended performance is rated for only 15k miles for normal driving conditions, but is not available in 40 wt in the USA. The Edge EP is not even rated for extended mileage for severe driving conditions.
What more proof do you need?
BP\castrol\edge, costs $5/quart in 5 gallon jugs. Do you expect true synthetic POA at that price?

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
SYN
The pour point temperature for Pennzoil 0w40 is -51C.
The pour point temperature of your BP\Castrol\Edge is -53C.

BP is an huge international company blending motor oil in foreign countries like Germany & Belgium,
but some of it US made to be marketed in North America, including the USA.

Amsoil SS is surely POA based and at $12\quart, it better be and rated at 15k mile OCI.
BP\castrol\edge, costs $5/quart.

I did amsoil in everything for a good 7 years. It wasn't worth it for me because i was never able to wait 15,000 miles. I would buy the Most expensive stuff and then change it at 7000. I would literally get stressed out over thinking abouy 15,000 mile intervals.