Votes: 397 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
as yall know ive been running pup 0w-40 and i got rid of the tick for a little while but over the last few weeks ive been testing some things and im not crazy so bare with me , so if its below 30 degrees there is no tick at anytime but if its above 30 then i have the tick no matter what . ive also tried to start it and drive immediately when above 30 and get alot of tick even after warm up but if its above 30 and i start it up and let it warm up for about 10 mins then i have no tick at any time . it drives me crazy and none of this makes sense to me as to why it comes and goes under certain circumstances but this is exactly what im experienceing

tuned by Jay Greene

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
as yall know ive been running pup 0w-40 and i got rid of the tick for a little while but over the last few weeks ive been testing some things and im not crazy so bare with me , so if its below 30 degrees there is no tick at anytime but if its above 30 then i have the tick no matter what . ive also tried to start it and drive immediately when above 30 and get alot of tick even after warm up but if its above 30 and i start it up and let it warm up for about 10 mins then i have no tick at any time . it drives me crazy and none of this makes sense to me as to why it comes and goes under certain circumstances but this is exactly what im experienceing

tuned by Jay Greene
Your situation sounds like an exhaust leak to me Sir .

Below 30 the more exterior components ie..manifold & gasket are the coldest , there fore contracted the most . The more interior section ie ..the giant block is not as contracted due to its thickness and size , overall it's closer to the warm or hot size dimensionally than the manifold is , because the manifold is much smaller in size and thickness ; therefore the main old changes size more with added heat than the block does dimensionally .

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Basically the manifold is expanding faster than the block with heat , causing the exhaust leak ( ticking ) , likely due to broken manifold bolts or loose manifold bolts . Hot air under compression will always take the path of least resistance , if that path is @ a manifold gasket , it will deform the gasket to increase this path of least resistance and typically worsens over time .

Hope this makes since to you sir !

I commend you for running the 40wt oil , I do not think the oil wt is a contributing factor.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take some one inch hose and put it up to your ear and near each exhaust bolt. You ran 0w40 PUP and the tick was gone, even over 30 degrees? I need more info then that post and what you've tried and what worked and how long. How long did PUP keep the tick away?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just edited my post above

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have headers and have relentlessly checked for leaks in every way you can think of .its not a exhaust leak . like i said and maybe i wasnt clear but unless i let it warm up before driving it will tick at any temp. if i dont let it warm up it will tick all the time no matter the temp

tuned by Jay Greene

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just reread your post .... strange ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Shane what oils have you tried? filter combos? any tick worse on some oils then others? what additives?

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Shane what oils have you tried? filter combos? any tick worse on some oils then others? what additives?
redline ,pup with liqui moly additive, mobil one ,all with wix xp. all have stopped the tick at first then it came back. i know it sound wierd and its ver hard to explain but in a nutshell if i dont let it warm up before i drive it ,its gonna tick but if its below 30 degrees it doesnt matter if i let it warm up or not it wont tick at all.its the wierdest thing ive heard of and makes no sense and its hard to explain in words.

tuned by Jay Greene

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You are too sharp with your answer, what do you mean the oils stopped the tick at first? how long. how many miles. leads me to believe it isn't exhaust.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ok i just read my post again and im gonna try to explain it better.
if its below 30 degrees you can start it up and take off or let it warm up either way it will not tick at any time throughout the duration of the drive 10 miles or 100 miles but if its above 30 degrees you can start it and take off and it will tick the entire duration of the drive 10 miles or 100 miles but if its above 30 degrees and you let it warm up for 10 mins it will not tick through the duration of the drive 10 or 100 miles. on the ticking times at idle i can hear a very pronounced lifter tick that can be heard all the time even while driving but on no tick days it is silent at idle and i cannot hear a lifter noise while driving.

tuned by Jay Greene

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You are too sharp with your answer, what do you mean the oils stopped the tick at first? how long. how many miles. leads me to believe it isn't exhaust.
all of them stopped it for the first 1000 miles and it just came back after that. all the oils have seems to consistently do the same thing at the same time no matter what weight or additive ive put in.i know you get more noise out of headers but a lifter tick is a lifter tick.

tuned by Jay Greene

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Videos are great. IMO there can be a few different types of "ticks" to listen for. I know a lot if times videos dont show the full truth but it gets us all on the same page maybe.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
all of them stopped it for the first 1000 miles and it just came back after that. all the oils have seems to consistently do the same thing at the same time no matter what weight or additive ive put in.i know you get more noise out of headers but a lifter tick is a lifter tick.

tuned by Jay Greene

If its a lifter tick nothing can fix it but new parts and crossing your fingers

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ugg! Now Amazon will start adding taxes to my orders.
Well Poo! Looks like I will continue going back to the local WM for my oil needs. Luckily for me they are always stocked full with every M1 Viscositys @ $25-$28 (averages out around $5.50 a qt) for the 5Qt jugs.

I will still have to order RL off of Amazon. Since no stores sell it locally.

I don't mind paying taxes and it is in evitable as long as they go to the proper places. I believe 90% of the time that does not happen.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We have been taxed on amazon purchases for a few years. This only occurs when direct from amazon not 3rd party sellers.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I know this is the improper thread for this question but I trust you guys to share this information we have kind established a bond with in this thread with a more than a handful of us members.

This is how der-ranged and mentally unstable I am. I woke up this morning at 6:24 AM thinking about under the hood temperatures while driving down the interstate and driving in town or metro.
I come up with this idea of using our house indoor thermometer and outdoor thermometer to test my tarded thoughts!

I will mount the outdoor remote temperature probe with a zip tie inside the engine bay around the air intake box or somewhere close.
I will keep the main digital readout inside the cab with me to monitor the temps inside the engine bay at all times.
I will attempt to take pictures of the digital readout with my phone every 5 to 10 minutes. I will do a bout a 10 mile highway interstate run taking a few pictures and then come in to town for a few miles and take pictures then of the temperature inside the engine bay.

I know the outside ambient temperature plays a huge part in this. I will record the outside temp. I Will also do the same experiment sometime during the summer months when the temperature is 90° or higher just to get a different perspective of what actual temperature is inside our engine bay.

I know I have thought about this many times and never have really done anything about it I've always been curious. I do know for a fact that once the engine is turned off after a long highway run or a road trip. Inside the engine bay gets to be like a damn oven. That's the main reason once I pull in the garage I normally pop and crack my hood and put my industrial fan in front of the grill to help push some of that heat out. One thing to remember half or more of that engine bay is plastic or rubber & the constant heat cycling over a few years makes both of these brittle. Thus once again my reasoning for preventive maintenance. Yes you can still call me a retard. But I somewhat enjoy it.

Here are the tools that I will be using.

I know there have been many discussions\conversations on exactly how hot does it get or how hot is it actually inside that engine bay when cruising down the highway or driving through the metro. I will attempt to somewhat figure this out for us here in a few days when I get my next day off.
Maybe I'm probably the only one who really gives a damn. But at least I will find out for myself and share that info with some of you who probably or maybe Care as well.

I will record all the temperatures at every possible parameter. For those interested in my results send me a private message and I will send you my findings. I probably won't post them within this form for all the damn drama it will probably cause I don't need that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
We have been taxed on amazon purchases for a few years. This only occurs when direct from amazon not 3rd party sellers.

Thanks :): if I remember right normally the third-party sellers charge shipping too. So that will be defeating my whole purpose of even using Amazon.
But I will darn sure pay attention when I do order from them.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks :): if I remember right normally the third-party sellers charge shipping too. So that will be defeating my whole purpose of even using Amazon.

not all of them charge shipping.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You get taxed if the merchandise is coming from a warehouse in the state it us being delivered to (your address). It doesn't matter if it's amazon or 3rd party. It's about states collecting taxes from other states... they can't do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You get taxed if the merchandise is coming from a warehouse in the state it us being delivered to (your address). It doesn't matter if it's amazon or 3rd party. It's about states collecting taxes from other states... they can't do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's not true. The standard rule is that sellers must collect sales tax on online sales to customers who live in a state where their business has a physical presence. So, even if your warehouse is in CA and everything ships from there, if you have an office in NY then you're obligated to collect tax on sales to people who live in NY. This is based on the SCOTUS decision in Quill Corp. vs North Dakota.