Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jetsfan: if it turns out not to be an exhaust leak.

You possibly have 2 options.
1. Try RL
2. Order a 6qt case of SRT 0W-40 & add 3 or more qts to your PP 5W-30!

I just did a OC w/6qts SRT 0W-40 / 1Qt PUP 5W-30 & my 5.7L is quieter then ever with zero issues!
All for $62 includes a FU filter.

I get my SRT oil with subscribe from Amazon/ Prime
Only hope they keep it stocked & at the lowest price I've found.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One problem Rampant and it is right on the tech sheet for hths, that test is taking at 150c, or 302F. Why would it be fair to gauge an ester oil versus a mineral oil at 300 plus degrees? To gauge an oils performance, we must gauge them in the temperatures they operate in. Not only viscosity at 100, but visc at 40c, and viscosity index (how the oil flows throughout the relevant temperature band). Do you know m1's viscosity index is better then redline's? Just like they have similar visc at 100 in 20 weight.

And when you see how bases act under load per Falex load-to-seizure per one of the top oil guys on the planet. Goggle it if you want to read more molakules thread.

Pentaerythritol (polyol Ester) - 3,400 psi
TrimethylPropane (polyol Ester) - 3,200 psi
Dibasic Acid Ester - 2,000 psi
PAO - 1,900 PSI
Chlorophenylmethyl Siloxane - 1,100 psi
Petroleum Oil - 750 psi
Methyl alkyl silicone - 725 psi

So the fact that Redline falls into the top categories here we should call it a "different" viscosity Rampart? Even though it flows at the same speed 20 weight? You still think any oil can compete with esters? And one thing I don't know is what would be the beneficial amount of moly, as you say any oil should do. What about Amsoil? High moly, surely higher the average, and when a guy with a tick went from redline and his quiet lifter to amsoil ss, his tick came back. And when he went back to redline it went away again, and then he went with 0w40 PUP higher moly then Amsoil and it stayed away. But that relates to viscosity how?

I respect the ideas, every way we gauge oil versus temperature is flawed, like you say loopholes are revealed. But those loopholes exist in all tests, hths included. Looking forward to response.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So let me further Rampants argument for him as promised. The way I read this, is hths viscosity is more of a relevant gauge of an oil then viscosity as we know it. Oh yes, hths viscosity is a thing <must read everyone. To gauge an oil by traditional viscosity is not proper because it says nothing about the strength of that oil. In fact, hths numbers stay consistent but viscosity changes and in fact oil viscosity changes from one day to the next due to combustion and the tearing apart of viscosity improvers.

Is this furthering your argument? have anything to add?

Yes, it does further... err... kind of. But thanks either way for spending time on it. Interesting article, but its hard to tell what angle they are coming from since everything on that part of the site is geared toward heavy duty diesel applications.

On the same site, over on the "consumer" side, is a very interesting article on things to come in 2019. https://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.com/gf-6b-lower-viscosity-higher-performance/ Basically, they are trying to prove that ow16 oil is the future and will offer better fuel economy by 2019. They currently do not have a test that shows its lubricity or mpg benefits. I almost felt like I was watching CNN there for a minute... what say you?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Water is the future, if the gov't has it's way the only oil we will use in the crankcase will be water. Water with additives to prevent acid.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Straw Man victim number 157.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Water is the future, if the gov't has it's way the only oil we will use in the crankcase will be water. Water with additives to prevent acid.

Come on Burla. Water? That would be so bad for the environment to wast water like that just to keep your engine running for an undetermined short period of time.

They will require recycled pee from porta-poties with additives so nothing is wasted and it would be aproved by California because they can't even was thier cars with water there.

LOL

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And i think iv been hearing about this 0w16 unicorn tear oil (or Tom Cruse tears if thats your flavor) for so long i don't believe it anymore until i see it on the shelf.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I need to just buy acouple gallons of Redline 5w30 ever month and get stocked up... lol
I'm seriously considering ordering a gallon or two of Redline 5w30 per month. Amazon currently has it for $47 and free Prime shipping. PUP is next to impossible to find, Amsoil I have my doubts about for the future, Redline I also have doubts about in the future with the decreasing moly and zinc. I already have 2 cases of PUP 0w40 stocked up plus 2 gallon jugs of Redline 5w30.

I agree with Burla, oil is going thin. I see anything above a 30wt oil becoming impossible to find in anything but racing or diesel very soon. Think about this, what vehicles actually call for 5w30 anymore? HD trucks? Diesels? Just about everything else is Xw20. Now they're pushing for 0w16. What's next 0w10? 0w5?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm seriously considering ordering a gallon or two of Redline 5w30 per month. Amazon currently has it for $47 and free Prime shipping. PUP is next to impossible to find, Amsoil I have my doubts about for the future, Redline I also have doubts about in the future with the decreasing moly and zinc. I already have 2 cases of PUP 0w40 stocked up plus 2 gallon jugs of Redline 5w30.

I agree with Burla, oil is going thin. I see anything above a 30wt oil becoming impossible to find in anything but racing or diesel very soon. Think about this, what vehicles actually call for 5w30 anymore? HD trucks? Diesels? Just about everything else is Xw20. Now they're pushing for 0w16. What's next 0w10? 0w5?

Good thing is. Most all diesel oils can be run in gas engines now with great results. And ther will ALWAYS be over the counter/3rd party oil additives that actually work. Like redline ZDDP, MOS2 ( and their others) and to be honest.... in a ****y oil world i would run Lucas ZDDP aditive if needed.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recycled pee water from Porta potties causes cacer in Ca.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just did it. I put this in to see if oil consumption is reduced going to run it until I change oil since this oci was completely messed up by having to add oil and I couldn't even find pup to keep it all pup 5w-20. Back story is my dad works for Justice Brothers so I figured I'll try his product and see what happens. If it blows or does nothing I'll let you know.

f3bba90c2ea20758182d335cb736922e.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm , what's the ZDDP level in this ....does it have molybdenum as an additive?

3f10f6372f913aabbc976f5dba4af70b.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with your oil consumption Sir !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
no msds no burla.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
One problem Rampant and it is right on the tech sheet for hths, that test is taking at 150c, or 302F. Why would it be fair to gauge an ester oil versus a mineral oil at 300 plus degrees? To gauge an oils performance, we must gauge them in the temperatures they operate in. Not only viscosity at 100, but visc at 40c, and viscosity index (how the oil flows throughout the relevant temperature band). Do you know m1's viscosity index is better then redline's? Just like they have similar visc at 100 in 20 weight.

And when you see how bases act under load per Falex load-to-seizure per one of the top oil guys on the planet. Goggle it if you want to read more molakules thread.

Pentaerythritol (polyol Ester) - 3,400 psi
TrimethylPropane (polyol Ester) - 3,200 psi
Dibasic Acid Ester - 2,000 psi
PAO - 1,900 PSI
Chlorophenylmethyl Siloxane - 1,100 psi
Petroleum Oil - 750 psi
Methyl alkyl silicone - 725 psi

So the fact that Redline falls into the top categories here we should call it a "different" viscosity Rampart? Even though it flows at the same speed 20 weight? You still think any oil can compete with esters? And one thing I don't know is what would be the beneficial amount of moly, as you say any oil should do. What about Amsoil? High moly, surely higher the average, and when a guy with a tick went from redline and his quiet lifter to amsoil ss, his tick came back. And when he went back to redline it went away again, and then he went with 0w40 PUP higher moly then Amsoil and it stayed away. But that relates to viscosity how?

I respect the ideas, every way we gauge oil versus temperature is flawed, like you say loopholes are revealed. But those loopholes exist in all tests, hths included. Looking forward to response.

Whoa... that's a mouthful. I'll give it a go.

1. Yes, I agree that oils should be tested at temperatures they are used in to ascertain their actual chemical properties within given parameters. I didn't dig too deep for those figures. I'm positive they are out there on Al Gore's WWW.

2. No, I didn't know Mobil1 had a better visc index. See my comments earlier concerning oils sold at walmart. I pay no attention to them. They could be the best thing in the world, although I highly doubt it. That's just me.

3. Yes, esters definitely perform the best under pressure. The problem is, they cannot be used by themselves in motors. All fluids require magic potions to meet the end goal. Here are a few reasons some of the best esters can only be used in small quantities:

Polyol and Diesters- Can only be used by themselves in low viscosities, poor hydrolytic stability, and limited seal compatibility.

Where these really shine are when mixed with certain PAOs. PAOs take advantage of the esters' low temp flow capabilities and their additive solubility. PAOs inherently shrink seals and Esters generally expand them. The magic is in the recipe; what type of mix and how much of each. Ancient Chinese secret!

4. No, it shouldn't be a "different" viscosity. I do understand where you're going with that line, but viscosity is and will always be the ratio of the shearing stress to the velocity gradient in a fluid, no matter what trickery oil companies use to further the peddling of their wares.

5. Compete with esters... Esters can't be used by themselves. Most great oils are a mixture of esters and POAs. See #3.

6. Why did RL clear up Hemi's tick twice? Hard to say. Could very well be coincidental with so few examples. I know he's not the only one, but his example is surely not the benchmark from which all tickers should abide. I also take into account that there has really been no other magic liquid claimed to have quieted down a Hemi within these walls. Why? Good question.

7. But that relates to viscosity how... ? Well, when a lifter is collapsed, it needs pressure to pump it back up. During startup, a collapsed lifter is no longer in constant contact with the cam lobe and valve at both ends and the sound you hear is a combo of the valve smacking the lifter because there is slack, or "lash" as it is referred to. The lifter is moving about its bore as opposed to remaining in contact and cushioning the blow of the valve as it should until it gets "pumped up" with oil pressure again.

A higher viscosity can help to seemingly quell that sound by acting as more of a cushion than a lower viscosity oil can. Think about 2 jars with ball bearings in them, each half full. One has thinner oil and the other has thicker oil, each also filled half way. Shake the jars. Which one is louder? The bearings in the higher visc jar move slower, so they hit the ends of the jar at a slower rate creating less noise. Now apply that to the collapsed lifter being violently smacked out of its seat to-and-fro until it is pumped back up.

The OP is 100% correct here. No oil will ever correct a malfunctioning lifter, but rather apply a bandaid. The real answer to his original question is to have the lifters checked properly. The problem lies in getting a dealership to do (under warranty) what every mechanic in there worth his salt knows is right. That problem can go for years and years without any real problems availing themselves. At this infantile point in his Hemi's life, what's in it for them besides a happy customer? They gotta keep the lights on...

I completely agree on the loopholes and testing temps. We are at the mercy of the whatever test data one can dig up.

Sweet Jesus, break up the questions into posts next time... I'm spent. lol

Great dialogue. I wish I had the time to do it more often. This thread is really and excellent mix of interesting and pertinent info and experience-based opinions. I truly appreciate the time and effort the heavy hitters in here put into making it what it is. Thank you. I learn a thing or two on the daily. Keep it goin'!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The results defy traditional logic, Syn and I have been say'n for years. Out of curiosity, why do you suppose Chrysler Ram made Penzoil make an SRT oil with the most moly we've seen from a popular brand? We aren't talking double, or even triple, but they quadrupled the moly in an oil specifically made for the Hemi? From 60 in 5w20 PUP, to 240 in the heni specific 0w40. I mean have you seen anything like that before?

If you take all of the info here the last 4 years, it may not be enough to convince you, and I respect that, but I'm convinced. Ram engineers have decided moly is a piece of the puzzle. Keep an open mind, let some of the info in. I'm sure will get get more guys with ticks and we will continue to see where the data takes us.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
here it is. give me your thoughts PLEASE. One thing i dont like (other than the additives left) is he (she) said that it is in line with other hemi's with the average of 4,800 mile on the OCI....my sample is 3,000 miles. Moly is OK but well out of the ballpark for an oil that MSRP's at over $12 a quart IMO and is supposed to be good for 25,000 or 1 year... I dont think so, or at least not in my case. the zinc and phosphorus are even lower than i thought they would be. Boron looks great. Copper is high, most likely from the cooling system as they always say for hemi's. should go down fast from hear on out. dont like the aluminum at 4 either for only 3,000.

but hay, the truck only has 11,000 on it.:baby:

after sleeping on it and doing a little math this morning, I am going to do a UOA on my current fill of Amsoil SS 0W40 with the redline ZDDP additive ( 1/3rd bottle) and then jump right into PUP 0W40 with a UOA.

question,
when switching form Amsoil to PUP is it ok to just jump right into a UOA or do I need to give it an OCI and then do the UOA on the second fill of PUP to help clean it out.....or is ok to do it on the first fill right after Amsoil?

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
See my comments earlier concerning oils sold at walmart.

So are you thinking PUP ordered through Walmart online has a different blend than PUP ordered through Amazon?

I highly doubt that, and since I can't find it on a local shelf I'd rather use Walmart online than the Amazon/Washington Post conglomerate.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So are you thinking PUP ordered through Walmart online has a different blend than PUP ordered through Amazon?

I highly doubt that, and since I can't find it on a local shelf I'd rather use Walmart online than the Amazon/Washington Post conglomerate.
I'm thinking he's likely referring to the possibility of products being "dumbed down " a bit to meet the supply quantities that wall mart demands.

It seems some fantastic products with great reviews and are highly sought after just can't produce the quantities that a Wall Mart contract holds them to ; therefore, the manufacturer ( to meet contract requirements ) lessons the quality of the product .

Not sure Pennzoil would OR even could do this ,but other companies have in the past ....

Last edited: