Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I read that thread correctly, it states Amsoil SS is at 160 Moly. So that would be a good choice as well if you're not a RL, Shaeffer's, Motulor or PYB guy? I also see a lot of these test were taken over a year ago. So from what I've gathered the oil companies may have changed there formulas since then. When looking through PQIA web site you can see some brands are slowly taking away Moly from the ad-packs year to year as the oils are retested.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Very Very True Ramp: Though not all Companies share the sacred NOAK #s with the Public.
With formulations changing quite often so does the NOAK.

I applaud his work but have No idea just how accurate it is.
But like I posted--->It is interesting & beginning of another discussion.

Wish: My opinion on the Amsoil SS brand is an extremely robust/stout oil.
Great choice if no tick is present. (At start up or at idle)

Maybe overkill For some or most who don't take advantage of its extended drain capability. Most probably drain this oil with 1/2 it's life still left. Waste of $$$. But that's their dime not mine.

I don't know if this oil will quiet the so-called lifter tick.
If so? I over looked the post & apologize!

Most are slowly pulling the large amounts of moly from the formulations except Pennzoil/SRT (so far) They actually I feel know the importance of this additive.

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had anyone had issues with USPS delivering/losing their samples they send to Blackstone?? I sent two samples on the same day from same post office, one was delivered, the other wasn't. Then my last two, both lost for a couple weeks before delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also, the knowledge I have gained from all of you, and the links to oils or articles has made me understand how it all works together and to make better decisions in regards to vehicle maintenance in general. So thank you for everything everyone contributes, I for one really appreciate it.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Had anyone had issues with USPS delivering/losing their samples they send to Blackstone?? I sent two samples on the same day from same post office, one was delivered, the other wasn't. Then my last two, both lost for a couple weeks before delivered.

AMF: The sample I sent in last week did not have enough postage on the envelope. Postmaster said there is not enough postage paid.

He asked me who paid for it: I told him Pennzoil!
He replied back **** they can pay the difference then & threw the envelope into his basket.

I paid $10 for the TBN & I did get a email receipt from blackstone a few days ago so they did receive it.
I was very lucky I guess!

They sure are dragging their feet on my UOA though.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I get grief from them every time I go to send a sample in because it's a "hazardous liquid" but no so far they haven't lost one yet...

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I never get grief because it's in their rules it's ok to send it, just ****** me off they keep
Losing it!

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for asking the question thats been asked 8 million times, but I tried forum searching and Google forum searching first.

What's a good "reasonable" oil filter with the synthetic media? I see the RP recommended a lot, but Im not spending $12+ on the oil filter everytime... whats the best budget one?

Thanks!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moly is pretty expensive so I'm sure that's why companies are slowly lowering it. Most consumers don't have clue what oil in their vehicles nevermind whats in the add pack.

I have also noticed that Boron has been increasing as moly has been decreasing. While boron is in the same family on the periodic table, its more of a detergent than moly. That being said, I have always thought moly and boron are a great combo in an add pack. Its one of the reasons I chose to try Amsoil SS in my truck because it has 150ppm of moly and 220+ppm of boron. Oddly enough, the SRT PUP 0w40 has virtually no boron but the other viscosities of PUP have quite a bit of boron. So maybe boron isn't a good thing for the Hemi. Or because they have 225+ppm of moly they didn't want to make the price of the SRT PUP higher than it is by adding boron as well.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for asking the question thats been asked 8 million times, but I tried forum searching and Google forum searching first.

What's a good "reasonable" oil filter with the synthetic media? I see the RP recommended a lot, but Im not spending $12+ on the oil filter everytime... whats the best budget one?

Thanks!
Wix XP or Fram Ultra are good choices at a good price. I've cut open 2 Wix XP filters so far and they're extremely well made. Fram Ultra despite being a Fram product is also extremely well made.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
https://youtu.be/kx-NT1DEtlU

Steve: I will post it again! This ones for you!

Your truck was $35-$45K & you refuse to pay $12 every 6months?

Fram Ultra averages $8-$9 at WM.
That will be your cheapest option if you buy them single.
E-bay might be cheaper if you buy 3-6-12 at a time.

I pay w/subscribe & save @ Amazon $7.62 for the FU
Strangely the RP filters price just jumped up to $14.99 but remember these filters can easily run 10K-15K miles = 2 OCIs

I run all my FU for 2 OCIs!
Believe it or not the filter actually becomes more efficient the longer its in service.

Last edited:

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://youtu.be/kx-NT1DEtlU

Steve: I will post it again! This ones for you!

Your truck was $35-$45K & you refuse to pay $12 every 6months?

Thanks again, I was directed to this thread after posting in the last one, hence the second asking.

I dont refuse too, however if there is a oil filter that does just as good of a job, at half the price, then why pay double? I just got done watching the video. Much appreciated.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ Steve , if you change your oil every 4-5 k miles then just run a quality 100% synthetic media filter twice and there's your 1/2 price filter .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Looks like the wix xp is the best bang for the buck on those filters.

Just changed rhe oil on my 98 Explorer with the Wix xp and M1 full synthetic high mileage 10w30. 128k on the clock.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys! I guess I didnt realize that it was even in the question to run the filter for 2 intervals. Thats new to me and the reason I ask for help. I can get the wix xp at the local O'Reilly. I ordered 2 cases (6 quarts ea) of Mobil 1 5w20 off of amazon for 25 each, thought that was a great price.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys! I guess I didnt realize that it was even in the question to run the filter for 2 intervals. Thats new to me and the reason I ask for help. I can get the wix xp at the local O'Reilly. I ordered 2 cases (6 quarts ea) of Mobil 1 5w20 off of amazon for 25 each, thought that was a great price.
Yes sir , many run their filter for 2ea oci ( actually filters better with a few k on it ) , me personally I'd change it @ 12 -14 months max and a max of 12-14k if you fall into that catagory or less imo I think you'll be fine Sir .

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought an Amsoil EAO11 oil filter to compare with the RP 20-820. Both are the larger pre-2013 filters for the Hemi. It has been speculated that both filters were the same and manufactured together. Some of them might be but not this one. They are clearly not the same filter.

Given a choice, I'd get the RP over the Amsoil filter unless you can get the Amsoil filter substantially cheaper. I do like how the Amsoil filter comes shrink wrapped.73202f4a7c747b0e165a354bf05d350d.jpg595afbf51bbc33fad81c958fe3ba9d2c.jpg

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Got my first Blackstone oil analysis in the mail, and what I think you guys will find interesting is I have been running the 180 t-stat since 2013. Read a lot of posts about water in the oil because the oil doesn't get hot enough to burn it off. Will post the report when it comes in.
And today I finally made the switch to 5w30 in Schaffers full synthetic, note the color of the oil. My gut tells me this is due to the high Molly count, but could be detergents or other additives. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20170716_120534.jpg
    20170716_120534.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: SyN

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like antifreeze

Got a picture of the whole bottle ?
Where did you purchase the Schaffers 5W-30 Sir ?

Good luck !