Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm probably going to go 5w-30 here in a bit...I have 1500 miles on my Pennzoil PP and I'm not liking the noises. Seems like it's worse than with the factory fill.

I'll probably go PYB for the good moly count and the price. I'm used to doing 3k oil changes in my '04 Hemi, so going with dino and 4-5k oil changes is fine with me (if I can get that much out of PYB and Fram Ultra filter).
If it were me, I'd get the Platinum out asap. I know there's people who would argue that, but mine was noticeably quieter on the first startup after switching back to PYB. Not knocking Platinum at all, its what I've used in every vehicle I've had in the last 10 years. I just really wish Pennzoil put as much moly in Platinum as they do in PYB.

I'm seriously considering Redline as the drain interval is extended. If you add up the cost of doing changes for a year with PYB every 5k with filters, its about $10-15 more using Redline and a RP filter.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If it were me, I'd get the Platinum out asap. I know there's people who would argue that, but mine was noticeably quieter on the first startup after switching back to PYB. Not knocking Platinum at all, its what I've used in every vehicle I've had in the last 10 years. I just really wish Pennzoil put as much moly in Platinum as they do in PYB.

I'm seriously considering Redline as the drain interval is extended. If you add up the cost of doing changes for a year with PYB every 5k with filters, its about $10-15 more using Redline and a RP filter.

Have you been using the smaller filter that came stock or did you opt for the larger one? I put on the larger one when I switch to PP, and the oil pressure stayed exactly the same as the smaller stock filter. I was a little worried since I heard people saying that their oil pressure dropped to the mid-upper 40's when driving, but mine stayed right at 54-55psi like it did when new.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that is definitely an option.

I've never used the smaller filter as I've been using Mopar filters from the dealer and they keep giving me the larger one.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's weird, the 2013 and newer should be getting the smaller ones, it's odd that a dealer would be giving you the larger ones instead. I like the reviews on the RP filters, but damn I like the rough grip texture on the Fram Ultras...I hated using Wix filters because of the smoothness that would just slip if you had any oil on your hands.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's weird, the 2013 and newer should be getting the smaller ones, it's odd that a dealer would be giving you the larger ones instead. I like the reviews on the RP filters, but damn I like the rough grip texture on the Fram Ultras...I hated using Wix filters because of the smoothness that would just slip if you had any oil on your hands.
I know. I asked the parts guy that when I picked up the first filter and he swore it was the right one. What's even stranger is my truck came with that filter from the factory...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Don't reuse the filter that is the most important part. You could leave the oil more than one filter swap but not the other way around. The filter is the main issue not the oil typically.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thank you all for all of your research and information. I read the whole thread, whew. I used to be an Amsoil dealer but stopped due to getting out of the racing hobby and the ease of finding Mobil 1 locally instead. Not to mention the price.

However after seeing what comes in the truck factory and reading here I will stick with PYB for the most part. I bought some of the Redline additive that I will use for the first few thousand miles, thanks for the input, Burla. I will most likely add some synthetic for extending the drain and potentially improving mileage.

I ordered a Laramie last Friday and am pretty excited. Typically I drain the factory oil around 1200 miles out of habit. Seems like the Mobil 1 filters I always buy may not be the best available. I'll see if Vatozone has any of the RP ones locally.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Has anyone done a UOA using PYB recently? Just want to see if it still has the high moly in it like in the 2013 testing done at pqia

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I also wanted to add that I've been running 5w-30 PYB with about a quart of Lucas in it for about 300 miles, and the MDS has been unaffected.

Reactions: SyN

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
forgive me for asking, but with the "tick" on the 5.7 hemi that some people speak of, is there a consensus on a particular brand or type of oil that seems to make it happen and or make it not happen or heard less? I have not been able to find it in this thread, but ive also not read all 105 pages.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
forgive me for asking, but with the "tick" on the 5.7 hemi that some people speak of, is there a consensus on a particular brand or type of oil that seems to make it happen and or make it not happen or heard less? I have not been able to find it in this thread, but ive also not read all 105 pages.
Oil with high moly in it tends to make it stop, according to what I've read here.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I ran 5/30 M1 since new in my 05 with no issues. At around 70000 it devolved the tick. I found this thread and switched to Redline 0/30 and with in 300 miles the tick was gone and it has not come back in 10000+ miles. Side note... After the results with the truck I switched my 4stroke snowmobile from 0/40 M1 to Redline and it has been a decrease in valve trail noise and a noticeable increase in performance. That motor spends most of its life just north of 8 or 9000 rpms.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil with high moly in it tends to make it stop, according to what I've read here.

Thats the Rumor. I have tried M1, Castrol, and now RP. RP is the only oil so far to quiet my engine down, and it did a pretty good job of it. Its not something I notice dailly now. That goes against what everyone says about Moly content.

Ill stick with RP if it helps this much.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I ran 5/30 M1 since new in my 05 with no issues. At around 70000 it devolved the tick. I found this thread and switched to Redline 0/30 and with in 300 miles the tick was gone and it has not come back in 10000+ miles. Side note... After the results with the truck I switched my 4stroke snowmobile from 0/40 M1 to Redline and it has been a decrease in valve trail noise and a noticeable increase in performance. That motor spends most of its life just north of 8 or 9000 rpms.

Since my wife only drives about 3-5k per year, I'm thinking of going the RL 5w-30 (her car also calls for 5w-20) and RP filter in her 2014 Elantra GT...simple one gallon jug will do and it'll last me a year. Her drivetrain seems way too noise for me, and it only has <2k miles on it...so this will be a good test for the redline stuff. If I'm impressed with it I'll throw some in my truck for sure.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Just bought the RP filter and 11 quarts of Penzzoil Platinum Ultra. We'll see how this works out. Have been using dino oil with a mopar filter because the dealer did the changes but now I'm doing them.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why 11 quarts if I might ask? Seems like an odd number....

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, that did not answer the question as to why though..... 5.7L holds 7qts, you dont even have enough for 2 changes.

Was just curious is all, seems weird.