Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With so few options, what is better? That is why I'm going with RP. Just no options, it is either XP variant or RP variant imo. I just happen to pick the purp, nothing else is as good that I see. SRT possibly, but I just don't know in my limited research on the issue. I would like to know if the bypass opens when oil is cold, but I'm not sure what difference that would really make because that would happen across all brands if so.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ya know, I just wander what the percentage of the general public is that actually knows or cares what's in their engine? I would venture to say the vast majority go with what's cheapest, most convenient, or get their oil changed here because they have free coffee. I can see lists of problems on the horizon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A forman at work built a 383 stroker for his hotrod truck. He put regular old Valvoline in it and destroyed his cam in a short minute. He re-built it and put a still not so great oil in it.
Brad Penn with is a a basic oil with some added ZDDO. Around 1300 PPM if i remember correctly (i had to reaserch it because he didnt know what ZDDP was....been building "hot rods" his whole life)

I told him about a few good synthetic options and he said no way is he paying ov $10 a quart for oil.

LOL.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A forman at work built a 383 stroker for his hotrod truck. He put regular old Valvoline in it and destroyed his cam in a short minute. He re-built it and put a still not so great oil in it.
Brad Penn with is a a basic oil with some added ZDDO. Around 1200-1300 PPM if i remember correctly (i had to reaserch it because he didnt know what ZDDP was....been building "hot rods" his whole life)

I told him about a few good synthetic options and he said no way is he paying ov $10 a quart for oil.

LOL.
Makes sense to me, spend all that time and money building a motor then just throw it away for what, maybe $60 with of oil, yep, that's what I'd do . NOT

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Makes sense to me, spend all that time and money building a motor then just throw it away for what, maybe $60 with of oil, yep, that's what I'd do . NOT

Yup,

He also wont believe me that PYB is an excellent oil for a conventional.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People just don't know what they don't know ...

Pennzoil today is not the Pennzoil of yester year ... and there are a couple oils that are better , Much better , especially for certin applications.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I'm sticking with the purp.

Royal Purple? I can't get that under $35 USD and wonder if the other synthetics are even close to compere?

LIke this I found on Rockauto that usually ships good and easy to Sweden:

FRAM TG10060 Tough Guard (Uses a higher level of synthetic media to give 6X MORE engine protection) so not 100% synthetic?

FRAM XG10060 Ultra Synthetic

WIX 57060XP XP Extreme Duty

Found this but don't know if it's better to go with the Gold/XG at ones if the engine has gone less?

oilFilterComp.jpg

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Royal Purple? I can't get that under $35 USD and wonder if the other synthetics are even close to compere?

LIke this I found on Rockauto that usually ships good and easy to Sweden:

FRAM TG10060 Tough Guard (Uses a higher level of synthetic media to give 6X MORE engine protection) so not 100% synthetic?

FRAM XG10060 Ultra Synthetic

Found this but don't know if it's better to go with the Gold/XG at ones if the engine has gone less?

oilFilterComp.jpg

Stat away from anything fram besides the Ultra Synthetic. All others truly are junk. The WIX XP is a great filter. It would serve you well. It is a cellulose and glass fiber blend just like a lot of the other "synthetic" filters including the fram Ultra, mobil 1 EP, K&N and many others.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Good news, I got a response from Champion labs. Their PH48 oil filter for the Dodge Ram 5.7 and my GMC 6.0 flows 18 Gallons Per Minute. See email response below:

Issac
The PH48 Champ or Luberfiner filter is designed to meet all engine requirements in which the filter is recommend to be used on. It is the correct filter for both the Dodge 5.7L and the GMC 6.0L engine you have and has been tested at up to 18 gpm flow. This amount of oil flow is far above the flow of oil during normal engine operation.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Good news, I got a response from Champion labs. Their PH48 oil filter for the Dodge Ram 5.7 and my GMC 6.0 flows 18 Gallons Per Minute. See email response below:

Issac
The PH48 Champ or Luberfiner filter is designed to meet all engine requirements in which the filter is recommend to be used on. It is the correct filter for both the Dodge 5.7L and the GMC 6.0L engine you have and has been tested at up to 18 gpm flow. This amount of oil flow is far above the flow of oil during normal engine operation.

Thanks for sharing,

Can i ask what your concern is with flow rate on the filters? Are you just doing it for info or are you thinking it may be a factor in the hemi tick or the cold start tick problem?

Just trying to catch up with you.

Thanks,
Kyle

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Thanks for sharing,

Can i ask what your concern is with flow rate on the filters? Are you just doing it for info or are you thinking it may be a factor in the hemi tick or the cold start tick problem?

Just trying to catch up with you.

Thanks,
Kyle

What sparked my curiosity is the size of the oil filter for my new GMC with the 6.0 engine, it’s much smaller than the RP 20-820 I had on my Ram. I’ve only read a few articles on oil filters but it’s my understanding the bigger oil filters flow better. Ultimately what I want to do is get the flow rate of the oil filters we all use and look at the filtering capabilities of those filters. I think it will be interesting to see the results if I can put it all together. There might be a Flow vs. Filtering sweet spot. Bottom line im just curious.
In addition to oil flow, I’m trying to get the oil filter By-pass valve PSI of the oil filters we all use. I know some guys are running 30 and 40 weight oils, curious if the thicker oils trigger the By-pass valve of the oil filter flushing impurities back into the motor. To prove that would be very difficult, but something to consider if the PSI value range differs wildly between different oil filters.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Amsoil AE same as RP, if you can get that?

Wix XP would be my second choice, how much are they?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Seams like m1 was the first to see the issue with DI and fixed their formula back in 2012. I think they went out on a line talking about a 20k mile interval, but they were out in front of DI. I just don't get it, you can still add more air to port injection, why not just do that? They are building stuff to break.

"...A slight reduction in ash is desirable for advanced engine technology such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and passenger car diesel engines. With GDI engines, higher levels of ash appear to result in a higher occurrence of Low Speed Pre-Ignition. The industry is currently developing tests and specifications to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition. In the future, passenger car engine oil specifications such as ILSAC GF-6 and dexos1 (next generation) are likely to have requirements such as lower ash to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition.

As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

We hope this information was both helpful and informative. Thanks again for reaching out, and for your continued support of Mobil 1."

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What sparked my curiosity is the size of the oil filter for my new GMC with the 6.0 engine, it’s much smaller than the RP 20-820 I had on my Ram. I’ve only read a few articles on oil filters but it’s my understanding the bigger oil filters flow better. Ultimately what I want to do is get the flow rate of the oil filters we all use and look at the filtering capabilities of those filters. I think it will be interesting to see the results if I can put it all together. There might be a Flow vs. Filtering sweet spot. Bottom line im just curious.
In addition to oil flow, I’m trying to get the oil filter By-pass valve PSI of the oil filters we all use. I know some guys are running 30 and 40 weight oils, curious if the thicker oils trigger the By-pass valve of the oil filter flushing impurities back into the motor. To prove that would be very difficult, but something to consider if the PSI value range differs wildly between different oil filters.

The 6.4 hemi calles for the same small filter as the 5.7 and it also calls for 40w oil so I don't think the 40 weight will be an issue for the filters we are using. JMO though.

Still think your findings will be informative and am looking forward to them.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Just got off the phone with Fram and they could not give me a specific flow rate in gallons per minute, only said that it met the Industry Standard (ISO) of 3 gallons per minute. They said it could flow more but could only guarantee it meet the industry standard of 3 gallons per minute.
Champion Labs said 18 gallons per minute, and Fram could only guarantee 3 gallons per minute; those two flow rates are wildly different. Might be more to oil filters than I expected. ill keep digging.
FYI: Per Fram all their oil filters have a By-pass valve set to 12 PSI for the complete line of oil filters.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is just advertising hyp but according to Amsoil their new formula SS is 100% guaranteed against LSPI and recommended for DI engines. That's what the literature says, now if it just does it.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Mobil 1 EP oil filter M1-113 flowS 18 gallons per minute and By-pass valve is between 11-17 PSI. :happy107:
Still very curious why Royal Purple and Amsoil didn't know their flow rates.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I know this is just advertising hyp but according to Amsoil their new formula SS is 100% guaranteed against LSPI and recommended for DI engines. That's what the literature says, now if it just does it.

Do they has a release date on the new formula? I got approval to have the Amsoil SS 5w30 tested. I want to be sure I send in the new formula.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

link? lol

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they has a release date on the new formula? I got approval to have the Amsoil SS 5w30 tested. I want to be sure I send in the new formula.
It was supposed to be this month as old supply's were used up, never heard a specific date. I don't know if you'll be able to compare them by just looking at the bottle to find out, supposed to be same part number, same price. Right now we don't know if we got old formula or new.